Trading back into Round 1 for a QB

stuvian

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://gbnreport.com/2017-first-round-selection-order/

I'm operating on the assumption that we aren't taking a QB at #1. That said, we will need to trade back into round 1 if we entertain the notion of getting one of the top QB prospects. Who do we need to get in front of in round 1 to ensure we get one of Watson, Trubinsky, Kizer or Mahomes?

If the goal is just to get one of the 4 you wouldn't have to trade up. One of the 4 will be likely be there in the second round.

My goal would be to get Mahomes and he will probably go somewhere between 13 and late 20's.

I'm operating on the assumption that we aren't taking a QB at #1. That said, we will need to trade back into round 1 if we entertain the notion of getting one of the top QB prospects. Who do we need to get in front of in round 1 to ensure we get one of Watson, Trubinsky, Kizer or Mahomes?

If we trade back into rd1 for one of these 4,I'd not be happy. If anything,trade DOWN get the extra picks,and make it count.

If the goal is just to get one of the 4 you wouldn't have to trade up. One of the 4 will be likely be there in the second round.

The way OBD operates that probably is their

goal.

Hopefully, they have one or two guys they actually really like and aren't just drafting a QB to draft one.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

The way OBD operates that probably is their

goal.

Hopefully, they have one or two guys they actually really like and aren't just drafting a QB to draft one.

If all four are equal on your draft board no need to draft one in the first round. But I have Trubisky and Mahomes as 1st round talents.

Worked out well for us last time. Oh wait...

...OUCH.....thanks for the reminder....other than Luck, Rodgers or Alex Smith, QB's in the 1st over the last decade would have been lucky to be UDFA's yesteryear......and the pundits are all over the map about the current crop.....Watson probably raised his stock at the combine and pro day, but then the "ball velocity" issue of concern surfaced....Trubinsky gets high marks but then the "started only one year" conundrum comes up...not much of a clear cut consensus.....trading back into 1st probably costs you a 2018 1st when class is allegedly (who really knows??) far superior.....

Worst QB draft in years. Yes, let's mortgage the future to get one.

What year is it worse than? 2016 that saw Wentz go #2? 2014 that had 1 QB picked in the top 10?

Have you ever had an original thought, or do you text John Murphy asking what to post?

Worst QB draft in years. Yes, let's mortgage the future to get one.

Not really.

2013 and 2014 are both proving to be lousy QB drafts, and the jury is seriously out on 2016 thus far.

I'll never understand why some folks WOULDN'T draft a QB every year if you don't have a franchise guy.

I would only trade up for a QB, but if they are there at 10, we should just take them then.

Not really.

2013 and 2014 are both proving to be lousy QB drafts, and the jury is seriously out on 2016 thus far.

I'll never understand why some folks WOULDN'T draft a QB every year if you don't have a franchise guy.

I liked Wentz but an NDSU QB going #2 overall spoke volumes of the scouting opinion of that class.

I don't think all 4 have the same "value" on the Bills draft board... Assuming that Monos, Whaley and McDermott all have a say with possible further input (not interference but another opinion in the room) from Pegula, it stands to reason that a consensus will create a "favorite". If one QB stands out to the Bills "braintrust" (sarcasm on) and he becomes available at #10 you take him there and don't f**k around. On the other hand if say Mahomes actually becomes the "favorite" and you think you can trade down and still be reasonably sure to get him OK (but u better be right - there are 31 other teams out there, many of whom need a QB too)

....so why then do most pundits rank Mahomes around #5 on their "Top 10" lists?......what don't they like that puts him in the middle of the pack?....

Its the combo of lousy mechanics and an air raid offense that I think is scaring people away. However, if one watches the tape, such as the LSU game, you'll see that he is spot-on with his throws even with that back leg waving about.