Favorite Underrated Musicians

Another Fan

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go with Phil Collins...now I know on the surface it may sound funny because he was very popular in the 80s...but he is not really respected for how good of a musician and vocalist he truly was...people know him for his sappy pop songs, but before that he was part of a brilliant prog rock band in the '70s called Genesis...for those who don't know, prog rock is music that sounds like several different songs in one, due to the complicated time signature changes of the music and melodic interludes...not everyone can do this kind of music as it requires you to be very smart in mathematics and see rhythms as numbers. Collins was an extremely smart musician and was a classically trained jazz drummer, while also playing piano and horns...furthermore he is an excellent singer and songwriter.

Edited by JaCrispy

I'll go with Todd Rundgren & Gordon Lightfoot. Underrated only in the sense that they haven't been inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Any others people think are underrated?

I'll see your Todd Rundgren and raise you a

Brian Eno

Syd Barrett

Tom Waits

plus a Ronnie James Dio & Ian Anderson

I would go with Phil Collins...now I know on the surface it may sound funny because he was very popular in the 80s...but he is not really respected for how good of a musician and vocalist he truly was...people know him for his sappy pop songs, but before that he was part of a brilliant prog rock band in the '70s called Genesis...for those who don't know, prog rock is music that sounds like several different songs in one, due to the complicated time signature changes of the music and melodic interludes...not everyone can do this kind of music as it requires you to be very smart in mathematics and see rhythms as numbers. Collins was an extremely smart musician and was a classically trained jazz drummer, while also playing piano and horns...furthermore he is an excellent singer and songwriter.

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism.

Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority.

'In Too Deep' is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works better within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.

I've always thought there was something special about Mike Ness. Love the sound of his voice. One of a kind for sure.

Janes Addiction will always have a special place in my heart as well.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

I've always thought there was something special about Mike Ness. Love the sound of his voice. One of a kind for sure.

Janes Addiction will always have a special place in my heart as well.

You've got good taste, my friend. I've seen them seven times and they are easily among my top 5 favorite bands. Not sure if they're underrated, but to me, they are definitely very special.

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism.

Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority.

'In Too Deep' is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works better within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.

How many hookers have you killed?

on a national stage outside of country george strait is one of the most underrated artists of the last 40 years.

the guy has some serious talent and should have been the halftime show over lady gaga, who is one of the most overrated singers out there. talent wise as a performer - if you take away the glitz and the glam she is boring. just give me king george, his guitar, a spotlight and the band backing him up.

outside of country the underrated musicians, i just don't know. there was a lot of talent in the country genre in the 70's, 80's and 90's no one appreciated because of the overrated bands like nirvana, bruce springsteen, metalica and others.

John Mayer as a guitar player. This dude can smoke some blues.

Underrated bands: The Guess Who and Traffic

Gug--I have now been to 4 Dead and Company shows and I have to agree...

Very under the radar....Todd Sheaffer from Railroad Earth -- diverse -- rocker to blue grass to folk to country...mastered them all..

Can we get your take on Celine Dion or would that go in the underrated sex symbols thread?

Underrated as far as how good of a player they are ?

I'm not a musician myself, but I always thought that if you ask a talented player who their favorite is, that should be taken in consideration....Neil Peart and Geddy Lee are in the R&R hall of fame, but I still think they're underrated.......as far as drummer and bassist, they are hard to match....

Adrian Smith from Maiden is also underrated IMO.....

Edited by Iron Maiden