'I'm hip and trendy, so laws don't apply to me'

read that yesterday and i believe Boyst may have made reference to her in another thread calling her a 'road scholar' :D . I honestly don't know how you DON'T hear a train coming...granted at my commuter rail stop, amtrak flies by every so often but you can at least hear it in time to get out the way

is there some sort of quota in texas as to how many people need to be hit by a train per year?

that being said, one of the news shows, (something like Today) did a story on how this actually happens. apparently when running at lower speeds, the trains almost glide along the tracks silently. the reporter would stand with his back to the track, and would indicate when he could hear the train. on a few takes, that sucker was right behind him. i think it's just a good idea if people don't hang around train tracks.

Edited by teef

I heard the first thing the railroad does after someone is hit is file trespass charges, keep them on the defense so they can't sue.

http://www.dailyclimate.org/tdc-newsroom/2015/03/Train-deaths-rise-amid-energy-driven-rail

is there some sort of quota in texas as to how many people need to be hit by a train per year?

that being said, one of the new shows, (something like Today) did a story on how this actually happens. apparently when running at lower speeds, the trains almost glide along the tracks silently. the reporter would stand with his back to the track, and would indicate when he could hear the train. on a few takes, that sucker was right behind him. i think it's just a good idea if people don't hang around train tracks.

Guy I knew did that a year ago christmas morning, saw him an hour before he did it. Sat down on the track in front of a speeding amtrak, dialed his ex-wifes phone so she could hear it happen. I was never a big fan of his but sad nonetheless

Stupidity. But she was pregnant. Sad.

I had a lacrosse teammate in college who got hit and killed by a train in Syracuse, but I'm pretty sure it was suicide. Poor Ducky...what a way to go...

I never understood the whole train track photo shoot thing. It's so tacky overdone.

read that yesterday and i believe Boyst may have made reference to her in another thread calling her a 'road scholar' :D . I honestly don't know how you DON'T hear a train coming...granted at my commuter rail stop, amtrak flies by every so often but you can at least hear it in time to get out the way

I saw him mention a woman who "caught train" and something completely different came to mind. Edited by sodbuster

Mother of the year candidate?

What an idiot, such a stupid tragedy.

He career as a mode was off to a great start. Now her entire future is derailed. I hope they conduct an investigation on why the photographer was not properly trained to know trespassing laws. I imagine it hit the family pretty hard and they won't be able to keep a train of focus.

I never understood the whole train track photo shoot thing. It's so tacky overdone.

I saw him mention a woman who "caught train" and something completely different came to mind.

this was the reference.

I wonder if she prefer trains planes and automobiles or trainspotting? Maybe she liked denzel in training day?

She's 19 and the article has to state that this was to be the first child the couple was having together?

Gee... I really hope so. But in this day and age, I guess it isn't stating the obvious?

People are so desensitized to the world around them... A bunch of years ago we had a teen ride her bike right into a fast freight rumbling through town... Her headphones were on, head down... Cars honking @ crossing... Cop jumped out of his stopped cruiser but was too late.

She's 19 and the article has to state that this was to be the first child the couple was having together?

Gee... I really hope so. But in this day and age, I guess it isn't stating the obvious?

People are so desensitized to the world around them... A bunch of years ago we had a teen ride her bike right into a fast freight rumbling through town... Her headphones were on, head down... Cars honking @ crossing... Cop jumped out of his stopped cruiser but was too late.

You would think common sense would prevent anyone, regardless of age, from blocking out one of your senses while riding a bike among 2 ton plus vehicles. I always marvel at the balls bike riders have though.

Well you have to admit those trains are small, quiet, and hard to see.

Still not a great defense, but I think she stepped into the path of an opposite going train as the first one cleared. The first train would have "covered" the second one. Still not a great defense, gotta know there are two sets of tracks. Vehicles do it all the time jumping the gates as the fist train clears.

What a major brain fart!

Guy I knew did that a year ago christmas morning, saw him an hour before he did it. Sat down on the track in front of a speeding amtrak, dialed his ex-wifes phone so she could hear it happen. I was never a big fan of his but sad nonetheless

Holy jeebus man! That's awful. When I was a kid one of our neighbors blew his brains out with a shotgun, and his kids found him in his bedroom when they got home from school. I remember my parents being so angry with him, and my mother saying "if he wanted to kill himself he should have gone off in the woods to do it." I remember thinking that was so mean of her to say, but now I certainly get it.

in my town we have had 3 kids in the last 4 years walking down the tracks get hit and killed. this is right down main street, too. lots of witness.

a few years ago in a blizzard some kid went for a jog on the railroad his family claimed. no way. he had shorts, a hoody and his earbuds in. he was struck and killed.

and before that a few people have stood on the tracks. one right before christmas. he was launched over 100 yards by the 75 mph amtrack.