The fastest way back to the playoffs

With the news of Richard Sherman being on the trade block it got me thinking... what would be every one's fastest way back to the playoffs, I'll start.

1. Add Richard Sherman for a 2nd rounder (sign and trade) new deal.

2. Add Josh Gordon for a 6th rounder (vet minimum)

3. Sign DB Deshawn Shead

4. Sign Wr Andre Holmes

These four moves alone would turn our two biggest needs into bright spots. Then I would draft ether Hooker, Adams or R. Foster at ten and if they weren't available i would trade down pick up a an extra 2nd & a 4th and draft OJ Howard or a LB like Cunningham or Riddick. What would you guys do?

Add a dude who is still not cleared to play in the NFL, and a WR4 from Oakland..... :wallbash:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The spread is not the same as the Air Raid.

A variation doesn't mean it's the same...it's a variation.

Mahomes was a pure Air Raid QB...Newton, Mariota and RG3(one successful season) were not in the same offense.

If it was the same offense, it wouldn't be called a variation.

Lance Zeirlng from NFL.com not good enough?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/patrick-mahomes?id=2558125

Gregg Cossell

Again...with his great physical abilities, why isn't he a universal top 10 pick? There's something in his game that's preventing him from being at the Goff, Wentz, Mariota, RG3 status coming out of college.

Wilson, Carr and Prescott say hello.

If there's one thing you can completely ignore, it's the draft "experts" opinions on who the best QB prospects are.

The spread is not the same as the Air Raid.

A variation doesn't mean it's the same...it's a variation.

Mahomes was a pure Air Raid QB...Newton, Mariota and RG3(one successful season) were not in the same offense.

If it was the same offense, it wouldn't be called a variation.

Lance Zeirlng from NFL.com not good enough?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/patrick-mahomes?id=2558125

Gregg Cossell

Again...with his great physical abilities, why isn't he a universal top 10 pick? There's something in his game that's preventing him from being at the Goff, Wentz, Mariota, RG3 status coming out of college.

The same thing that prevented Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Dak Prescott, and Derek Carr from being top ten picks. Poor scouting or old boy methods. Edited by jeffismagic

Tyrod is the QB for the Bills for the 2017 NFL Season and he is more than capable of leading an offense. Move on folks. We have WAY larger issues to currently focus on.

Agreed. We'll be fine with TT at the helm. Enough already!!!

Wilson, Carr and Prescott say hello.

If there's one thing you can completely ignore, it's the draft "experts" opinions on who the best QB prospects are.

Wilson, Carr and Prescott did not play QB in an Air Raid system, that's his biggest negative. That's the reason I brought that up is to show he does have some concerning flaws...the system is a major reason along with a few others.

Does Manning, Luck and Ryan mean the "experts" shouldn't be completely ignored? This is an industry that you aren't going to hit .1000, you're going to be wrong.

The same thing that prevented Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Dak Prescott, and Derek Carr from being top ten picks. Poor scouting or old boy methods.

So is the reason not a single Air Raid QB has had success in the NFL because of poor scouting? They're relying too much on the stats and arm strength and not the enough on the simplistic system benefiting?

As I said earlier, I think Mahomes can be special but he's a project. Hes used to easy, predetermined reads which is a whole lot different from running an NFL offense. It's not easy as hand it off to Shady and throw deep every once in awhile. Tyrod would be extremely successful if that's all you need. Mahomes needs time.

I don't care about the fastest way back to the playoffs. Good organizations aren't trying to do that.

Good organizations try to build for lasting future success.

We know that, but honestly we can't ask this from the crew in charge right now.

So roll the dice and aim the space ship for the heart of the sun.

Wilson, Carr and Prescott did not play QB in an Air Raid system, that's his biggest negative. That's the reason I brought that up is to show he does have some concerning flaws...the system is a major reason along with a few others.

Does Manning, Luck and Ryan mean the "experts" shouldn't be completely ignored? This is an industry that you aren't going to hit .1000, you're going to be wrong.

So is the reason not a single Air Raid QB has had success in the NFL because of poor scouting? They're relying too much on the stats and arm strength and not the enough on the simplistic system benefiting?

As I said earlier, I think Mahomes can be special but he's a project. Hes used to easy, predetermined reads which is a whole lot different from running an NFL offense. It's not easy as hand it off to Shady and throw deep every once in awhile. Tyrod would be extremely successful if that's all you need. Mahomes needs time.

The Air Raid is just a type of spread offense. The reason there are no NFL stars is few teams run it. If you understand it is a type of spread offense than there are plenty of success examples because more teams run it.

There is nothing about the Air Raid system that will prevent the right QB from playing in the NFL.

Wilson was way too short, Derrick was David's brother, Prescott was another Tebow.

There's always reasons like...Mahomes is from the "Air Raid" system!

If you have feeling the guy is special and he can become a franchise QB, don't wait...take him with your first pick. Be bold, be brave!

Edited by 1billsfan

The Air Raid is just a type of spread offense. The reason there are no NFL stars is few teams run it. If you understand it is a type of spread offense than there are plenty of success examples because more teams run it.

There is nothing about the Air Raid system that will prevent the right QB from playing in the NFL.

The Air Raid system has produced 19 QB's in the NFL. None have had much success. 6 of them have been in the first two rounds.

It's not the same as a spread offense. You keep saying it and it's not true.

Dick Jauron and Sean McDemott both run a 4-3 base alignment. Is it the same defense? No it's not.

Rex Ryan ran a base 3-4, is it the same as Dick Lebeau's?

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/4/21/11473382/jared-goff-nfl-draft-2016-cal-air-raid

There hasn't been a pure Air Raid QB to have success in the NFL.

Air Raid is heavily focused on predetermined reads, that's a difficult early transition in the NFL. I'm not saying he can't learn it later on but expecting him to be ready year 1 is a huge stretch. Tyrod Taylors issues are not scanning the field well enough...Mahomes in his rookie season would be even further back than Taylor. He's a project that you hope can turn into a star.

Wilson was way too short, Derrick was David's brother, Prescott was another Tebow.

There's always reasons like...Mahomes is from the "Air Raid" system!

If you have feeling the guy is special and he can become a franchise QB, don't wait...take him with your first pick. Be bold, be brave!

I am not against Mahomes sitting and developing...he's just not ready now. Air Raid is an issue because these QB's are way behind on the mental aspect of being a QB.

That's different than being too short, your bloodline and I don't know who compared Prescott to Tebow.

Edited by Teeflebees

The Air Raid system has produced 19 QB's in the NFL. None have had much success. 6 of them have been in the first two rounds.

It's not the same as a spread offense. You keep saying it and it's not true.

Dick Jauron and Sean McDemott both run a 4-3 base alignment. Is it the same defense? No it's not.

Rex Ryan ran a base 3-4, is it the same as Dick Lebeau's.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/4/21/11473382/jared-goff-nfl-draft-2016-cal-air-raid

There hasn't been a pure Air Raid QB to have success in the NFL.

Air Raid is heavily focused on predetermined reads, that's a difficult early transition in the NFL. I'm not saying he can't learn it later on but expecting him to be ready year 1 is a huge stretch. Tyrod Taylors issues are not scanning the field well enough...Mahomes in his rookie season would be even further back than Taylor. He's a project that you hope can turn into a star.

Air Raid is a type of spread offense. I don't get why that is so hard to comprehend. It has a lot of West Coast principles.

Did you know that NFL offenses are becoming more like college and throwing from shotgun and using pre-determined reads? That is not just Air Raid. It's all college spread and NFL teams now.

The Air Raid in the beginning was used as an underdog attack for schools who couldn't recruit the elite. That's why not a lot of the best prospects played in it.

Mahomes beat out Webb and Mayfield for the job. He is an elite talent playing in a college spread offense.

Agreed. We'll be fine with TT at the helm. Enough already!!!

What is your definition of "fine" if you don't mind me asking?

I wouldn't call his 4th QTR performances as "fine"

He has 2 career 4th QRT comebacks trailing by 4 - 8 points. One against the likes of the Titans in 2015 and the other against the Jaguars in 2016.

The same Jaguars that EJ gave 21 free points to in 2015.

Air Raid is a type of spread offense. I don't get why that is so hard to comprehend. It has a lot of West Coast principles.

Did you know that NFL offenses are becoming more like college and throwing from shotgun and using pre-determined reads? That is not just Air Raid. It's all college spread and NFL teams now.

The Air Raid in the beginning was used as an underdog attack for schools who couldn't recruit the elite. That's why not a lot of the best prospects played in it.

Mahomes beat out Webb and Mayfield for the job. He is an elite talent playing in a college spread offense.

I simply am dumbfounded that you think there isn't a difference between spread and Air Raid. Variations I guess in your mind means 100% exactly the same....no differences at all.

In the beginning....so I guess it hasn't evolved.

I believe you're being stubborn on purpose because Air Raid has given a bad name to QB's and you want remove that tag from Mahomes because he's your guy.

Texas Tech and Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury run a pure Air Raid offense.

Here's Pat Mahomes own words. You might want to tell him he's wrong because he thinks he runs a pure Air Raid system and doesn't mention anything about other spread QB's. He must think they're different?

Its understandable why people would think Im just another Air Raid guy, not ready for [the pros], he says. Quarterbacks who came from our system havent done well in the NFL; thats a fact.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/01/nfl-draft-patrick-mahomes-ii-texas-tech-quarterback-first-round-prospect

Edited by Teeflebees

I simply am dumbfounded that you think there isn't a difference between spread and Air Raid. Variations I guess in your mind means 100% exactly the same....no differences at all.

In the beginning....so I guess it hasn't evolved.

I believe you're being stubborn on purpose because Air Raid has given a bad name to QB's and you want remove that tag from Mahomes because he's your guy.

Texas Tech and Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury run a pure Air Raid offense.

Here's Pat Mahomes own words. You might want to tell him he's wrong because he thinks he runs a pure Air Raid system and doesn't mention anything about other spread QB's. He must think they're different?

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/01/nfl-draft-patrick-mahomes-ii-texas-tech-quarterback-first-round-prospect

No, I embrace Air Raid. It's just a type of spread offense. Mahomes is acknowledging what he hears.

Look, your viewpoint is perfectly valid. The scouting reports you showed me came from guys that talk to real NFL people. But here's where we differ. I look for opportunity. You are giving the viewpoint of the old boys network. These are scouts that watch a lot of prospects and come up with criteria that has worked for them in the past. Pro-Style offense, stay away from spread QB's was great advice back in the day. But it's 2017.

Very few college teams run pro-style offenses. Very few NFL teams do either! NFL teams now throw the ball in shotgun more than under center. They get rid of the ball quickly to a group of receivers after looking for mismatches. The college spread and the NFL offenses are converging. They are not the same yet but far closer than when Tim Couch was drafted.

NFL teams make the same mistakes over and over. Don't draft a short guy, don't draft a spread QB, don't draft a system QB.

The Air Raid issue you brought up will drop Mahomes from being what he should be, a top 5 pick. That's because NFL GM's come from a staid, conservative culture. No one wants to lose their job by innovating. It's why the Patriots are dominating. They think for themselves. Time for the Bills to do the same.

Tyrod is the QB for the Bills for the 2017 NFL Season and he is more than capable of leading an offense. Move on folks. We have WAY larger issues to currently focus on.

Nah, I happen to disagree. It should be THE ONLY focus until it is fixed...and right now, it's not. Doing the other thing hasn't proven to be very successful for the past 20 years.

Only one post! The second I saw this thread title I knew people were going to swing it back around to a TT thread. At least we're consistent

I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand. Some fans are so emotionally wrapped up in Taylor it's starting to become odd. The OP asked what the Bills need to do to get into the playoffs sooner rather than later. I think the answer is one in the same - It's quarterback. Taylor isn't good enough. I hope I'm wrong...so far, I'm not. He needs a lot of team help to overcome his deficiencies. No franchise can make that happen year in and year out.