Bills have drafted 5 QBs since Kelly retired...

1996-2016

Cardale Jones, Rd 4 2016

EJ Manuel, Rd 1 2013

Levi Brown, Rd 7 2010

Trent Edwards, Rd 3 2007

JP Losman, Rd 1 2001

How pathetic, if you don't try you will never find a QB.

Only 2 in the first round.

Wow mind blowing list! I really can't believe it but it's true. No wonder!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Whaleys own words "QB Purgatory" he came in and said he would fix it but all he did was give other teams backups raises. It will be Whaleys downfall as a GM because without a talent at QB this team isn't going anywhere. Next seasons schedule will be a nightmare having a running QB being forced to stay in the pocket and be a QB, it has fail written all over it. Sadly in my opinion it is Chan/Fitz era all over again.

You left out part of words to try to support your point meaning your argument is not very good.

They acquired Bledsoe and Johnson via trade. The 49ers replaced Montana with Young - via trade. Elway was eventually replaced by Manning via FA after a few decent drafted guys. Miami has yet to replace Marino. The Jets have never even replaced Namath - at best the signed Esiason.

Bledsoe was replaced by a 6th round pick.

My point is there are lots of ways to replace HOF QB's that don't involve the crap shoot that is the draft.

But I agree - get back on the horse and keep trying until you find the guy.

I think they can win with TT, but he needs a perfect situation around him. Keep taking bites at the apple until you find a true drop-back, can mae all the throws with accuracy guy.

Until then just win some dam games. Drafting in the top 5 is no guarantee they will find the next HOF QB

One of the worst picks was OT Mike Williams with the 4th pick of the 2002 draft. That pick should end up as a long-time starter, which he was not. That didn't hurt that much though since Jason Peters, an undrafted free agent, eventually beat him out for the LT spot. Still you'd like better return from the 4th pick.

I remember thinking that was a great pick. At the time a prevailing theory was that bookend tackles were smart/safe picks. Which I think was also before the rookie pay scales were implemented. It's easier now to take a chance and not be locked in to an absurd contract

I wouldn't mind this at all. Why not???

Throw enough ***** at the wall and somethings bound to stick? Unless you're putting everyone on a one year make/break trial I think drafting a QB every year doesn't make sense. I do think that the OP pointed out an alarming trend that needs to be corrected.

I can't argue with your facts, but are you suggesting that Kelly would have sucked if he had joined the Bills after being drafted?

Oh God no. I was just marveling at this astounding fact. Kelly would have been great no matter what.

How many did they trade for? Bledsoe and R. Johnson were acquired to start. T Taylor was a FA. What was Flutie? FA acquisition? You may still have a point, but QB's are found outside the draft, too. The NYG traded for Eli, the Saints didn't draft Brees. The question is, how many shots did they take at a starting QB? I don't consider Levi Brown to be one, but Bledsoe certainly was.

This is a valid point.

But, still, I think most teams draft QBs more often the Bills - even teams with franchise QBs already on the roster.

Because the Bills aren't a winning franchise, we need our draft picks to pan out. We can't afford to waste picks on long-shots. So we don't roll the dice on QBs.

It's a bit of Catch-22. We don't draft QBs because we're bad and can't afford to waste draft picks. We're bad because we don't have a franchise QB.

Expect the streak to continue. The Bills empowered Rex Ryan during his tenure and it resulted in spending 3 picks on an inside linebacker with one of the picks that was supposed to be used on Dak Prescott.

I expect Mcdermott to have years similar to Jauron as we focus on filling needs and ignore the QB position once again.

The Bills should draft a QB EVERY YEAR until they find the next one.

1) You would have a massive general erosion of talent on the roster, making it hard for any QB to thrive

2) The constant churn would cause you to cut guys loose before they ever really got a shot.

Absent no doubt talents like Luck & Cam, teams that have developed "Franchise QBs" have put them in situations where not much was needed from them to succeed. They were able to learn and grow in the position while having the team win games despite them until it eventually flipped and they won because of them. Brady, Wilson, Big Ben all followed this model. Rodgers sat for a couple of years before being inserted into a playoff team. Carr, Mariota and Dak are looking like the next wave, all on teams with dominant OLines and outstanding skill players/running games and were not asked to do too much to start. Our line is as good as it's been in 2 decades and we still have a hole at RT, our skill positions with Shady and Sammy as as good as they've been in 2 decades and we have a massive need at WR. We haven't had a QB succeed here or been able to develop a franchise guy because we've never had the foundation for it to happen. It's like trying to build a skyscraper on the beach, it isn't going to work.

I can't believe I got to the bottom of the thread and no one corrected the OP that Losman was drafted in 2004, Bledsoe's last year. The year we should have sold the farm for Big Ben.

That is all. Minor detail.

I say draft one every year, FA, etc.

Edited by Seasons1992

I can't believe I got to the bottom of the thread and no one corrected the OP that Losman was drafted in 2004, Bledsoe's last year. The year we should have sold the farm for Big Ben.

That is all. Minor detail.

I say draft one every year, FA, etc.

That draft has dictated the last 15 years of Bills, Packers and Steelers football. Posters on here have said Donahue had a deal in place with Houston or Jacksonville (don't remember which) to move up to get Big Ben but it fell apart because they wanted Dunta Robinson or Reggie Williams (the 2 guys who got picked by those teams). We then traded a pick that could have landed Rodgers the next year to get Losman. Missed out on Big Ben and Rodgers but took Losman instead.

It also doesn't help that the Bills haven't had a good pass-protecting O-line during this period as well. The Raiders sucked since their last Super Bowl appearance until they finally figured out they needed a great O-line to go along with a good QB.

That draft has dictated the last 15 years of Bills, Packers and Steelers football. Posters on here have said Donahue had a deal in place with Houston or Jacksonville (don't remember which) to move up to get Big Ben but it fell apart because they wanted Dunta Robinson or Reggie Williams (the 2 guys who got picked by those teams). We then traded a pick that could have landed Rodgers the next year to get Losman. Missed out on Big Ben and Rodgers but took Losman instead.

Donahoe tried to move ahead of the Steelers (I think he had a spy still there) but Jaguars wanted Reggie Williams at WR and refused the trade.

If Bills had won one less game they would have drafted Big Ben.

Edited by jeffismagic

1996-2016

Cardale Jones, Rd 4 2016

EJ Manuel, Rd 1 2013

Levi Brown, Rd 7 2010

Trent Edwards, Rd 3 2007

JP Losman, Rd 1 2001

How pathetic, if you don't try you will never find a QB.

Only 2 in the first round.

The lack of first round picks really doesn't bother me too much. Over the past 20 years, 2 is probably the average for the NFL. Not drafting in later rounds is ridiculous, it makes absolutely no sense. But I think with Pegula as owner that may change. TPeg's, from what I understand, is big on drafting a QB almost every year philosophy. His first draft as owner, they had 6 picks total and no first rounder, so I understand not taking one there. Last year the took Jones in the 5th. Only 6 picks again this year, but I can see them drafting a QB at some point. So, 2 drafts with a new owner and 1 QB drafted.

Whaley took over as GM in 2013, so he has drafted a QB twice in 4 years.

The lack of QB's in the past were mind boggling, but let's see what happens from here on out...

Edited by ricojes

How many did they trade for? Bledsoe and R. Johnson were acquired to start. T Taylor was a FA. What was Flutie? FA acquisition? You may still have a point, but QB's are found outside the draft, too. The NYG traded for Eli, the Saints didn't draft Brees. The question is, how many shots did they take at a starting QB? I don't consider Levi Brown to be one, but Bledsoe certainly was.

Obviously their isn't QBs to be found outside the draft... The ones you listed are garbage. Eli wasn't really traded in the sense he just refused to be a Charger. Brees is the only one...

Bledsoe wasn't a starter, he was a backup QB that started for the Bills. The Bills have lots of that. The Patriots laughed when we got him.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Obviously their isn't QBs to be found outside the draft... The ones you listed are garbage. Eli wasn't really traded in the sense he just refused to be a Charger. Brees is the only one...

Bledsoe wasn't a starter, he was a backup QB that started for the Bills. The Bills have lots of that. The Patriots laughed when we got him.

The Packers didn't draft Brett Favre, did they? And Bledsoe was a starter for eight years before Brady came out of nowhere. He didn't pass for 44,000 yards from the bench. The Patriots didn't make a genius move, they made a lucky one.

The point may stand, that the Bills haven't done enough to get THE guy. If they had done enough, he'd be on the roster. All I'm saying is, just looking at draft picks doesn't show the whole picture.

Edited by ocemur