Thoughts on the Bills draft strategy

billspro

Like all drafts you have to look beyond 2017 needs and quality players than can contribute over a 4-5 year period

Having said that in terms of need I'm not even convinced Hyde is starting S for us for he has never been

I see see 5 starting holes at the moment, RT, 2 WR, 2S, and a C

They might go need at WR-Secondary

Then again if Howard is BPA at #10 whose to say its not a terrific pick

Ditto Reuban at ILB

I just worry about picking a backup QB

Cos we have some major major starting holes

jc

Adams would be a dream at #10,. It there is no way in the world he'll be available at #10. Peppers is not a Rd 1 talent

1-10. Davis

Rd 2. Best available db

Rd 3. Best available RT

Rd 5. Best available TE and Chad Kelly

Peppers will still go in the first after his combine performance though. That kid sacrificed his draft stock for the team and probably set himself a year behind guys like Adams and Hooker but he is an amazing athlete. If Lattimore is gone at 10 I hope Adams or Hooker are there, if not I think we go WR 1st and DB 2nd and 3rd.

They need WR help just as much as secondary help.

If they aren't drafting a QB early(I'll be disappointed) then it has to be between secondary and WR.

I think the Bills trade Tie Rod for a second, then bundle that pick to move up, and draft a real QB. Only reason they did the reconstruction, otherwise they wouldn't be able to unload him at his previous potential cap hit. Edited by DirtDart

Assuming Adams and Hooker are gone and Foster is there at 8, I would give Carolina something to move ahead of Cincy and take him. Carolina will be able to get their running back at 10. We need to have a home run draft and we need to get one of the elite players. Foster will likely be one of the best linebackers in the league in a few years. He could be a difference maker instantly.

Trade up again? No thanks.

This draft is starting to remind me of 2012, the year we drafted Gilmore. Buffalo had needs all over the field, and the mock drafts were as scattered as they come. Various mocks had us taking WR Justin Blackmon, S Mark Barron, WR Michael Floyd, DE Quinton Coples, and others.

When we picked CB Stephon Gilmore, I said "Huh? Really?" Hard to get excited about a CB...after all, there's like 11 of those on every team, but whatever. But when I read about him, I thought "Okay, sounds like a shutdown guy. I guess I can get onboard."

Now it's 2017. Most of us are thinking WR or S. Some folks think we snag LB Foster based on his blue chip stock. But CB? Until we let Gilmore walk, did anyone really think CB was priority #1? More to the point, did anyone WANT cornerback to be priority #1? I mean...wasn't a toss-up between WR and S...when there are exceptional candidates at both spots...enough positions to choose from?

Which is why I think many of us will be surprised (and disappointed) when we go CB in round 1. We may follow that up with WR, OT, and S in the rounds that follow, but the consensus will be that we missed a golden opportunity to snag a stud at one of those positions of need in round 1.

I'm prepared to hate this draft. But I'd rather hate the draft and love the results than love the draft and hate the results.

That would not surprise me at all. That kid from LSU might be a possibility if Lattimore is off the board. They haven't even tried to upgrade corner in FA, so they must believe they will fill that need in the draft. The only question is round 1 or round 2.

I could not have done any better except I think TE is OK with Clay and think (VT homer) Logan Thomas is a sleeper there. Just go WR or DB again there - but even that is a quibble given the deep TE class as well.

Well done, sir.

Step-Brothers-Did-we-just-become-best-fr

Logan Thomas definitely has a chance to be good, hopefully he makes a Tyrelle Pryor type of transition.

What are your thoughts on Jerod Evans? He had a great year last year. It would be kind of neat to have three former VT QBs on the roster, haha.

Most of the experts say only one QB will be chosen in the top 10 this year

Now its mid March and the draft is still a long time away so I expect it'll change

So I sincerely doubt our Bills trade TT, get a 2nd and then trade high draft picks to one up for what is projected as a weak crop of QB's

You never know but I put it at less than 3%

jc

I think the Bills will have a terrific prospect that "falls" to #10.

Marshon Lattimore

Jamal Adams

Rueben Foster

Malik Hooker

Corey Davis

I wouldn't be upset with any of them.

I don't buy the interest in O.J. Howard. I think that was likely put out by the Bills as an early rumor. I have a sneaky feeling the Bills love Corey Davis and their need for a legit WR is probably the biggest hole on the roster. Imagine a season where Sammy Watkins gets knicked up and has to miss a month. Our WR group with him is pretty bad, without him it'd be historically bad. I really like the odds of Corey Davis being the guy at #10, because I think he'll still be on the board.

There are so many good, fast, athletic CB's and S's in this draft I kind of think it makes more sense to get Corey Davis w/ the #1 and solidify our WR group and then come back with our 2nd pick and get a guy in the secondary that can come in a compete for major playing time.

BTW I love the CB/FS out of Washington, Kevin King. He had one of the most impressive combines I've seen. Tall, fast, quick, long arms........he'd be a great chess piece in a pass happy league.

Funny too, because this guy was in absolutely no mock drafts at all & now I see him starting to pop up in some 1st round mocks, still hoping there's a chance he's there at #42.

Edited by Estro

I think the Bills will have a terrific prospect that "falls" to #10.

Marshon Lattimore

Jamal Adams

Rueben Foster

Malik Hooker

Corey Davis

I wouldn't be upset with any of them.

I don't buy the interest in O.J. Howard. I think that was likely put out by the Bills as an early rumor. I have a sneaky feeling the Bills love Corey Davis and their need for a legit WR is probably the biggest hole on the roster. Imagine a season where Sammy Watkins gets knicked up and has to miss a month. Our WR group with him is pretty bad, without him it'd be historically bad. I really like the odds of Corey Davis being the guy at #10, because I think he'll still be on the board.

There are so many good, fast, athletic CB's and S's in this draft I kind of think it makes more sense to get Corey Davis w/ the #1 and solidify our WR group and then come back with our 2nd pick and get a guy in the secondary that can come in a compete for major playing time.

BTW I love the CB/FS out of Washington, Kevin King. He had one of the most impressive combines I've seen. Tall, fast, quick, long arms........he'd be a great chess piece in a pass happy league.

Funny too, because this guy was in absolutely no mock drafts at all & now I see him starting to pop up in some 1st round mocks, still hoping there's a chance he's there at #42.

I'd be shocked if Adams, Hooker, and Lattimore aren't gone before #10. Foster might be there. I prefer Mike Williams, but WR is a good possibility, imo. I'm one of those who thinks qb need trumps all the other needs, of which we have many. I'd like to trade back and pick up an extra second. Find a way to draft Mahomes or Watson. Doubt any of that happens, however. Bills are picking #44 in the second round, btw.

mike williams.. case closed..

His serious neck injury,and subsequent surgeries dont scare you? They sure do me. No way I draft that at 10. Everyone flipped when we took Shaq at 19 and he had shoulder injury. You'd draft a broken neck WR at #10 overall?

Adams would be a dream at #10,. It there is no way in the world he'll be available at #10. Peppers is not a Rd 1 talent

1-10. Davis

Rd 2. Best available db

Rd 3. Best available RT

Rd 5. Best available TE and Chad Kelly

Turbo, I'm almost there with you except I'm going DB in rd 3 and DL/LB with 1st 5th and Chad.

Davis is head and shoulders better than Williams. Williams has a tremendous catch radius (as does Davis) but has significant past injury concerns and had a tough time creating separation in COLLEGE. Davis was the only threat on his team and he still stood out against teams like Michigan. If they're both available, Davis is the easy choice. If Davis is gone, and Williams is there, I still don't take Williams. I'd take lattimore, either top safety or the TE over Williams. Davis is the top offensive player on my board and it's not close. I think prefer Ford over Williams (Ford is the guy that ran the 4.2, right??)