Anxiety/Depression

Another Fan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone else suffered from this? I currently get treatment for it. I'm not here to start a woe is me thread, just want to see if anyone here had it and or beaten it.

The best thing I can say is "You are not alone". I know of at least five people here that have gone through it (or still go through it). Keep moving forward. PM me if you need to.

One of my favorite posters (who am I kidding, you all are) has addressed this many times. I will dig up a few of his threads.

But, as Fergy said, you are not alone. There is a sort of expectation that those who flock to messages board are introverted in nature often times and generally that demographic holds more depression and anxiety, etc.

I am diagnosed bipolar. I probably should be on medication but I manage it fairly well by being so busy I cannot function in life giving way to such tendencies. Exercise, diet and focus have helped. Still, in my darkest days - hopefully past me - things got just awful.

I believe everyone should seek counseling at the very least. Those with bona fide psychiatric disoreders (not a bad thing) should seek more thorough help than a simple counselor.

I've never been to counseling, but have certainly gone through the high and low times. In pretty sure there is something to be said for seasonal depression. My mood changes from November-March. I'm pretty sure it's due to the short day, cold weather and lack of sunlight. Iso not debilitating or anything, but I know I feel different.

I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder about two years into college, after a tragic accident. It manifested itself in some ways that were making school very difficult.

I started out with a grief counselor, and he sent me off to a psychiatrist pretty quickly. I was seeing him five times a month or so, and trying out medications. All of them made me feel either incredibly irritable or aloof. All the while I'm trying to go to college full time and work. Eventually my doctor and I decided that medication wouldn't be the way over it. I had to learn some coping methods. I basically hit the reset button, dropped out of school and went on a two month long road trip to get away for a while. When,i got back, I resumed parts of my life one at a time, evaluating everything as I went. It was a tough couple of years, but eventually I got back to a full courseload at school and all of my other responsibilities.

I rarely go for counseling anymore, but I still have to work through things. I only really shared what I was going through with one person other than my parents and my counselors. I never shared it with my friends, and for a time I kind of shut them out. I tend to be somewhat of a flake when it comes to casual group arrangements, and I suppose they've just come to accept it as a quirk of mine, but being open with them about it is one of the hurdles I still have to get over.

It's always tough, but it gets better.

Thanks guys. Trying to stay Kelly tough so to speak

this isn't toughness. This isn't take a breath after a sack and get back under center or simply icing it a few series and getting back in.

Those types of situations, the analogies everyone makes are situational in the moment. Those are for periods of time you need to overcome. Those are different. Those periods in life you struggle with a school situation or personal tragedy are when you buckle down to focus. But even then it is not the way to handle it. You will just neglect the root cause and underlying issue of the problem.

The greatest issue is when these moments continue. When you cannot see light at the end of the tunnel and it is recurring. At that moment is when you need to seek professional help that can guide you through therapy or even medication. Just because you get help doesn't mean you're not tough. We aren't help. We are just a bunch of schmucks who care but we can't offer real help. Many of speak from experience but that is our own experience. And I think many of us realize if you're asking for help you're either having an issue where you need help or just want attention. Disirregardless, I think all of us would encourage you to seek out someone to talk to and go from there.

I suffer from anxiety, I've been on Lexapro for 7 years, every now and then they adjust it and I always seem to go back to it.

I've suffered with Depression since I was a junior in high school, I go to therapy for it.

Try Cod liver oil, it has helped me a lot, I met a dietary nutritionist years ago (due to weight gain from the Lexapro) she suggested it and I can't begin to tell you how much it's helped. Not saying it is a cure, saying it help, that and the therapy. I find it also helps with my ADD, although I am at my office and clearly I am distracted...I blame DST for that

Hang in there my fellow bills buddies I have definitely been there! I believe the rough times make us appreciate the good times even more.

The things that helped me were improving my health, eliminating negativity and negative people, strengthening my relationships with friends/family and forgiving/forgetting the things that kept running through my mind 24/7. Don't be too prideful to seek help to talk about it with people either. Also, the easiest thing to do is to numb yourself by drinking and using but I truly believe this doesn't help, it only makes things worse.

Whatever you do, don't turn to alcohol or addiction, it isn't the answer to "self medicate." Like others have said, don't feel ashamed when life gets crazy.

Progress not perfection.

My son had crippling anxiety and turned to self medicating. It got terribly bad for about 8 years. We came very close to another "Danny Thread" several times. Through hard work and intense therapy he has come through it and is now very successful as an admissions counselor at a mental health and addiction facility. His experience makes him better at what he does now. He gets letters from people who literally say "you saved my life". He's not the therapist, but sometimes the hardest past is getting people to begin treatment.

As some have said, exercise can be very helpful. When we left Florida and perfect year round weather to be active, I went through a dark time. I've found ways to stay more active and I feel much better for it. Give it a try. There's zero shame in this and no reason to not seek help. That's what's those people are there for.

I suffer from anxiety, I've been on Lexapro for 7 years, every now and then they adjust it and I always seem to go back to it.

I've suffered with Depression since I was a junior in high school, I go to therapy for it.

Try Cod liver oil, it has helped me a lot, I met a dietary nutritionist years ago (due to weight gain from the Lexapro) she suggested it and I can't begin to tell you how much it's helped. Not saying it is a cure, saying it help, that and the therapy. I find it also helps with my ADD, although I am at my office and clearly I am distracted...I blame DST for that

Man, Lexapro had the exact opposite effect on me. I lost weight that I couldn't afford to lose. It was horrible.

Man, Lexapro had the exact opposite effect on me. I lost weight that I couldn't afford to lose. It was horrible.

I wish that were the case for me, I've gained 40 pounds since I went on it.