Salary Cap Status

AtlBills

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@salsports

As of right now I have (unofficially) Bills with about $18M of salary cap space available, about $6M of which will be needed for rookie pool

why do these beat writers need to guess when there are tools like Spotrac out there?

@salsports

As of right now I have (unofficially) Bills with about $18M of salary cap space available, about $6M of which will be needed for rookie pool

So basically we could have tagged Gilmore and restructured Clay while filling out the roster with UDFA / vet min / camp cuts (aka the quality of guys we are looking at anyways).

So basically we could have tagged Gilmore and restructured Clay while filling out the roster with UDFA / vet min / camp cuts (aka the quality of guys we are looking at anyways).

We can restructure Glenn and Dareus too if need be. The Bills are fine in terms of cap space.

We can restructure Glenn and Dareus too if need be. The Bills are fine in terms of cap space.

Absolutely. The problem is the dwindling number of guys to give it to who'll make a big impact. Losing Gilmore really hurts and it's magnified by not giving the money to 2-3 other guys who clearly upgrade positions. That being said, if they managed to bring back Zach Brown and sign Sheard, I do think it's been a decent FA period.

Yes we could have so that tells you they didn't want to pay him.

http://www.spotrac.c...falo-bills/cap/

$27.4M right now. That doesn't include 5 of the recent signings. That'll reduce it somewhat, though they shouldn't be big money deals. Rookie pool will be about $6M. Then there's always a few million saved for use during the season. Let's see where we are when the dust settles from those deals.

That is a little misleading because the rookies will only count about $3 million to the cap since they will push players 49, 50, and 51 out of their slots, taking their salaries with them. Edited by matter2003

• 3 weeks later...

@salsports

The Bills have 71 players under contract and just under $10.8M in available salary cap space, according to NFLPA's public salary cap report.

Since only the top-51 contracts count in offseason about $4.8M will be needed for drafted rookie contracts.

The last 10 players Bills signed have counted for about $1.7M of their cap. The rest fell under the top-51 salaries. Expect more of the same

Edited by YoloinOhio

• 2 weeks later...

@salsports

I know many wanted them to, but I'm glad Bills haven't restructured deals this offseason. That's partly how salary cap issues were created.

Yes, they could do it and help this year and still might. But not pushing $ to future years will help them settle cap down going forward.

...I'm not counting Tyrod's new deal. That was a pay cut, really. Helped the team, not hurt it.

• 2 weeks later...

@salsports

Prior to signings of Shareece Wright and Charles James, Bills had $12M in cap space. Rookies = about $2M from that when they replace top-51

UDFAs should not factor in at all (not top-51). That would leave about $9-10M in cap space (unless Wright signed for more than expected)

Then they will get another $2.4 on June 1. After being in a very tough cap spot going into offseason, this is healthy work, I'd say.

Also, the Bills are currently projected to have about $42M in cap space next year, according to Over The Cap..... 1/

One of less talked about things Bills did (didn't do) this offseason was not restucture deals. Really will help going forward.... 2/

...I know many fans wanted them to, but will pay off they didn't. Tyrod wasn't really a restructure as much as it was a pay cut. Helped team

Edited by YoloinOhio

@salsports

...I know many fans wanted them to, but will pay off they didn't. Tyrod wasn't really a restructure as much as it was a pay cut. Helped team

Not sure what he means by this, I'm assuming it will pay off more if we wait to restructure some of our guys like Dareus Clay and Glenn?

Not sure what he means by this, I'm assuming it will pay off more if we wait to restructure some of our guys like Dareus Clay and Glenn?

It simply means if they restructured, your just pushing that money on towards next years cap...

example if Dareus restructred from say 10 mill this season to 5 million, that 5 million gets pushed into the future, thus increasing what he is owed next year and decreasing the amount of money the Bills would have to sign free agents then