Beer Thread

RaoulDuke79

6 hours ago, swnybillsfan said:

i have been drinking stouts all winter. victory makes a Storm King Imperial Stout that is incredible. Long Trail's Unearthed Stout is another great one. a couple years ago i had a Magic Hat Vanilla Stout that was very, very good. 

I'm not really a stout or porter guy but I bought a double deuce of the Ballast Point Victory at Sea and it was pretty fantastic.  Great nightcap beer.

14 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'm not really a stout or porter guy but I bought a double deuce of the Ballast Point Victory at Sea and it was pretty fantastic.  Great nightcap beer.

i am relatively new to the craft beer scene. but i am now absolutely hooked. i really like the IPAs in the warmer weather, and the darker beers in the colder months. right now in my beer fridge i have a few JavaHead Stouts, a sixer of Sour Monkeys, and a sixer of Golden Monkeys. now the tough question...which one am i cracking open first?

4 minutes ago, swnybillsfan said:

i am relatively new to the craft beer scene. but i am now absolutely hooked. i really like the IPAs in the warmer weather, and the darker beers in the colder months. right now in my beer fridge i have a few JavaHead Stouts, a sixer of Sour Monkeys, and a sixer of Golden Monkeys. now the tough question...which one am i cracking open first?

I wouldn't drink the sour first.

3 minutes ago, swnybillsfan said:

as luck would have it, i just cracked the sour, then saw your message. i think i will be ok as long as i keep to the monkeys tonight. 

The Monkeys are strong drink regardless of golden or sour. I like the sour monkey for a change of pace. 

Just tried some Lagunita's Lil Sumpin ales this weekend.  What a great beer!  Seems like it would be a fantastic summer beer.  Almost a hint of a sour but not overpowering.  Not hoppy either.  Just an all around great beer.  I swear I read about it here which is why I tried it but I didn't see it when I searched the thread...

17 hours ago, swnybillsfan said:

they absolutely are. definitely not something you want to pound. even when being careful, it can get away from you. 

Victory sour monkey is kind of anomaly usually sours don't carry such high alcohol content.  I like to kick the night off with one or 2 before moving on to other beers.  I love the high content though in case I'm only having one or 2 though :lol:

1 hour ago, section122 said:

Just tried some Lagunita's Lil Sumpin ales this weekend.  What a great beer!  Seems like it would be a fantastic summer beer.  Almost a hint of a sour but not overpowering.  Not hoppy either.  Just an all around great beer.  I swear I read about it here which is why I tried it but I didn't see it when I searched the thread...

Victory sour monkey is kind of anomaly usually sours don't carry such high alcohol content.  I like to kick the night off with one or 2 before moving on to other beers.  I love the high content though in case I'm only having one or 2 though :lol:

i love the abv of the monkeys. great value. and i also like to start with one or two, then move on and nurse a couple of something else. or just kinda take down a couple and call it a night. 

the Lagunitas Imperial Stout is prett darn good. and i tried their Brown Suga a while ago. it was interesting, and potent as all get out. i think it was actually 10%. i have not tried the Lil Sumpins. 

Can anyone outside of Vermont get their hands on Lawson’s Sip of Sunshine?  Used to be I could only find it when I went up north to Burlington.  Within the past few weeks, however, I’ve seen it at 3 different beer stores here in town (Middlebury).  A buddy of mine said he found it at a beer store in my home town, Auburn, NY.  Interesting.

4 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Can anyone outside of Vermont get their hands on Lawson’s Sip of Sunshine?  Used to be I could only find it when I went up north to Burlington.  Within the past few weeks, however, I’ve seen it at 3 different beer stores here in town (Middlebury).  A buddy of mine said he found it at a beer store in my home town, Auburn, NY.  Interesting.

Pretty sure saw a tweet that 716 was tapping a keg today. 

Out in LA, drinking 21st Amendment Sneak Attack Saison. Like that beer!

29 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Pretty sure saw a tweet that 716 was tapping a keg today. 

Out in LA, drinking 21st Amendment Sneak Attack Saison. Like that beer!

Yeah, I think they’re starting to expand their distribution.  Check your beer stores!  Sip of Sunshine is tasty.

6 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yup it's here and fairly readily available.

On 2/25/2018 at 11:40 AM, plenzmd1 said:

Had one of these last night, and enjoyed it. Heading to Veil for the first time today for some day drinking

image.jpeg.89f2e4b391f451747e81db038324eb62.jpeg

I was there almost exactly a year ago. Loved it! I caught Xavier winning the first two rounds in Orlando, then went to Denver for the wife’s work. Made time to get to Vail after work and caught the Xavier win over Arizona win at a bar. (Shocking, I know!) Guys at the bar wore a bunch of Colorado State gear (we lost there early in the season), and they asked “how the %$#& did you lose to US?”. I didn’t have a good answer. Stuff happens.

My best 14 day stretch in many years. 

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was there almost exactly a year ago. Loved it! I caught Xavier winning the first two rounds in Orlando, then went to Denver for the wife’s work. Made time to get to Vail after work and caught the Xavier win over Arizona win at a bar. (Shocking, I know!) Guys at the bar wore a bunch of Colorado State gear (we lost there early in the season), and they asked “how the %$#& did you lose to US?”. I didn’t have a good answer. Stuff happens.

My best 14 day stretch in many years. 

That’s a nice story and all, but I went to The Veil Brewing in Richmond , not Vail CO. 

I getting worried about your your mental acuity young man! :lol:

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

That’s a nice story and all, but I went to The Veil Brewing in Richmond , not Vail CO. 

You could not possibly be worried enough! 

My college buddy in Cincinnati loves to take me to all their many breweries. For a variety of reasons, I don’t do a lot of beer any more. I actually drink LESS with him, oddly.  

We got a massage chair today. An obscene fiscal treat. I’m celebrating! Mrs Augie is trying to “get educated” on the operations, while I sit and wait with a nice bottle of wine. 

13 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

To think I just thought you couldn’t spell..... 

Forgive me. :)

:beer: 

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, I heard they have it at D&L.  Louie has quite the selection there.  I have him set me aside a few cases of Brooklyn Summer every year because it’s very difficult to find in Vermont.

Chalk another common person up lol.  No idea how we've never run into each other!  Yeah he's doing a great job there.  He has a steady supply of different beers from Grimm brewery which is probably my favorite.  

Auburn is developing one heck of a craft beer scene.  Between d&l, prison city, thirsty pug, and the soon to be reopened good shepard there are a lot of options here.  Its not great for my booze budget lol

• Like (+1) 1

Scored the latest tired Hands release today. They call it a pizza IPA.  While it is delicious, it lacks the flavor profile they were calling for.  Hopefully I can use it as currency to score some other beers I've been wanting to try

4 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Victory Blood Orange IPA is pretty bad. Glad I only bought a 6 pack.

the most disappointing beer i had ever bought was the White Aphro beer. can't remember which brewery it was. but it was incredibly flowery, and had an almost baby powderish aroma to it. just definitely not my cup of tea.

• 2 weeks later...

@The Poojer might be the only one who cares, but went to the new Hardywood in West Creek last night for their soft opening. Holy moly is that place huge, and beautiful. Going to great place for beers, foods, and music. They are making their "distribution" beers there, sours and small batch at the original place in Scotts Addition.

@Mr Infoknows the big wigs there, we need to get him to line up a TBD special tour!

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

so i have done a couple trades over the past couple of weeks.  landed some narrow gauge out of st. louis(?) have heard good things about that brewery, cost me a 2 cans of each of the last few tired hands releases, i got a couple narrow gauge varieties and a few others he threw in that he thought i would like.  then just yesterday i started and completed a trade for a small brewery outside of princeton called troon, they are all the rage right now, i have been there and had some of their stuff on tap, but some dude visiting dc for the next few days had a crowler he was willing to part with, i sent him a tired hands and 2 other half cans.  he got his beer about a half hour ago and he put mine in the mail about 10 minutes ago.  Looking forward to trying these new beers.

I wonder if anyone here has ever heard of Treehouse Brewing in Charlton, MA? They only sell from their brewery; cans and growlers. And the lines there are unreal every single day. On my way back from Albany to NH I decided to stop by. It was Saturday around 5pm and figured whatever lines had to shorter by then. Uh-uh. 

First clue was having to park at their satellite lot and take the shuttle to the brewery. I saw a line that was over 100 people. I asked the bus drive to guesstimate how long the wait would be and he said at least 90 minutes.

Treehouse has that panache similar to the Alchemist in Vermont. (Home of Heady Topper.) Beers that are damn near impossible to get, so of course demand goes up even higher. I told the bus driver to just take me back to the car. No beer is worth that wait unless it'll heal my knees and give me a 4-hour boner.

A dude who was carrying a case of 16 oz cans heard me and gave me a can of "Julius," their citrusy IPA. They sell for over $3 a can, so I paid him for it and thanked him for sharing some of his hard-earned stash. I still haven't tried it. But I'll let you know how it is.

FullSizeRender+26.jpg?format=750w

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

I wonder if anyone here has ever heard of Treehouse Brewing in Charlton, MA? They only sell from their brewery; cans and growlers. And the lines there are unreal every single day. On my way back from Albany to NH I decided to stop by. It was Saturday around 5pm and figured whatever lines had to shorter by then. Uh-uh. 

First clue was having to park at their satellite lot and take the shuttle to the brewery. I saw a line that was over 100 people. I asked the bus drive to guesstimate how long the wait would be and he said at least 90 minutes.

Treehouse has that panache similar to the Alchemist in Vermont. (Home of Heady Topper.) Beers that are damn near impossible to get, so of course demand goes up even higher. I told the bus driver to just take me back to the car. No beer is worth that wait unless it'll heal my knees and give me a 4-hour boner.

A dude who was carrying a case of 16 oz cans heard me and gave me a can of "Julius," their citrusy IPA. They sell for over $3 a can, so I paid him for it and thanked him for sharing some of his hard-earned stash. I still haven't tried it. But I'll let you know who it is.

they make some outstanding beers!

yup, last week i stood in line for 2.5 hours for a 5 ounce pour of pliny the younger, then i stood in line for an hour for a 3 beer release from Tired Hands.  Sounds horrible, but there is a lot of fun and good beer in the lines.  Plus i really have no life outside of geeking over beer.

34 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But would you wait 2 hours for one?

• Haha (+1) 2

On 3/11/2018 at 2:17 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

Victory Blood Orange IPA is pretty bad. Glad I only bought a 6 pack.

i just picked up a six because i had to try it for myself. while i do not find it unenjoyable, it is definitely ordinary. i find it goes better after a golden monkey. 

17 minutes ago, swnybillsfan said:

i just picked up a six because i had to try it for myself. while i do not find it unenjoyable, it is definitely ordinary. i find it goes better after a golden monkey. 

Ha....most bad beers go down better after a 9.5%er. I was going to pick up a 6 of sour monkey, but grabbed a 6 of dogfish head Romantic chemistry instead

Edited by RaoulDuke79

On 3/28/2018 at 5:54 PM, The Poojer said:

yup, last week i stood in line for 2.5 hours for a 5 ounce pour of pliny the younger, then i stood in line for an hour for a 3 beer release from Tired Hands.  Sounds horrible, but there is a lot of fun and good beer in the lines.  Plus i really have no life outside of geeking over beer.

I final opened that Treehouse Julius watching the Sabres. Very nice. I'd go out of my way for it but an hour+ wait?? Founders All Day IPA has a similar profile. Easier to acquire. 

8 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Ha....most bad beers go down better after a 9.5%er. I was going to pick up a 6 of sour monkey, but grabbed a 6 of dogfish head Romantic chemistry instead

i think i have only ever had the 60 minute ipa from dogfish head. i thought it was good, but not great. a while ago i had sampled some beers from the Ohio Brewing Co. there were some damn fine beers there. damn fine.