Tyrod's new restructured contract - the details

Now that the full details have come out how can you be pissed about this deal? Whaley did a fantastic job with this restructure. We can get off of the hook with only a 1 million $ cap hit next season. Kudos to Doug. :thumbsup:

Finally seeing Tyrod Taylor's redone #Bills deal: $14.5M fully gtd in 2017, $6M roster bonus + $10M base ($1M gtd) in 2018 ... then it voids

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/841633216922566656

In addition, it shows that the Bills fully intend on drafting a QB either this year or next...

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18905240/tyrod-taylor-restructured-deal-amounts-10m-pay-cut

10:12 AM ET

Mike Rodak

ESPN Staff Writer

Buffalo Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor will take a $10 million pay cut as part of a restructured contract he signed last week, according to NFLPA documents obtained by ESPN.

Taylor will earn $30.5 million in 2017 and 2018 combined before his contract automatically voids on the fifth day after the Super Bowl in February 2019. Under his previous deal, Taylor would have earned $40.5 million in 2017 and 2018 combined if the Bills exercised an option in his contract that would have kept him under the team's control through 2021.

Quarterback Tyrod Taylor's restructured deal with the Buffalo Bills will pay him $10 million less than his previous deal. Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images

The Bills renegotiated Taylor's contract to avoid $30.75 million that would have become guaranteed March 11. Taylor will be fully guaranteed only $15.5 million under the terms of his restructured deal.

The pay cut suggests Taylor did not believe he could receive a better deal from another team if he had been released by the Bills. Taylor said last week his agent, Adisa Bakari, spoke informally with "a few teams" at the NFL combine earlier this month and after doing so, they decided to accept the reduced deal from Buffalo.

Had Taylor not accepted the pay cut, the Bills were expected to release him. Buffalo had interest last week in signing veteran Brian Hoyer, sources told ESPN, before Taylor agreed to the restructured deal and Hoyer joined the San Francisco 49ers.

Taylor's 2017 cap number will drop from $15.9 million to $9.7 million under the terms of the restructure. If the Bills choose to keep him for the 2018 season, his cap number will be $18.1 million; it would have been $16.8 million under his previous deal.

Tyrod Taylor's contract is a "bridge deal"

Yes, Taylors time with the team may be numbered. And the Bills may be preparing to move on by drafting a quarterback in April. Taylors new contract seems to suggest as much.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/3/14/14921390/buffalo-bills-quarterback-tyrod-taylors-contract-is-a-bridge-deal?utm_campaign=buffalorumblings&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

There's also this PFT article talking about the new contract. Florio seems to agree with my take that Taylor and his agent didn't get the feedback that they were looking for in terms of what other teams were offering for his services.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/14/two-years-30-5-million-for-tyrod-taylor/

Two years, $30.5 million for Tyrod Taylor

Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2017, 9:28 AM EDT

Getty Images

Before last week, the Bills had to decide whether to guarantee $30.5 million in payments to unlock the next five years of Tyrod Taylors contract. With Taylor and the Bills agreeing to a new deal, theyll pay him a total of $30.5 million for two more seasons.

Via Mike Rodak of ESPN.com, Taylor agreed to slash his pay over the next two years from $40.5 million to $30.5 million, in exchange for the ability to hit the market (or to be tagged) in 2019. With only $1 million of his $10 million salary in 2018 guaranteed at signing and a $6 million roster bonus due at some point during the 2018 league year (presumably, early in it), the Bills will be in a similar boat next March, with a lot less on the line than this year.

Its a win-win, given that Taylor didnt play so well to make picking up the option under his old contract a no-brainer or so poorly to make cutting him a no-brainer. Given that Taylors agent had some casual conversation aimed at finding out what other teams would pay, its safe to say that Taylor made the decision with eyes wide open, and that his quid pro quo comes from the opportunity to become a free agent in 2019, when hell be 29.

What's apparent with the reworked deal is if TT refused to restructure the deal substantially downward he would have been cut. And what is also very clear is that the argument that many made that he had good contract and playing options elsewhere were not a reflection of the market.

The Bills are in a good position to draft a good qb prospect this year. If they don't seize that opportunity they will again allow other teams to take what we miss.

Whaley has a history of over-valuing his players. I get the impression that he is intrigued by Cardale more than most are. I'm hoping that this isn't another EJ infatuation situation that turns into bypassing good qb prospects because of over-valuing what you already have.

In general I like Whaley. When it comes to evaluating qbs I have little trust in his judgment. I'm hoping that this new coaching staff can provide better evaluation and judgment on that position.

Edited by JohnC

What's apparent with the reworked deal is if TT refused to restructure the deal substantially downward he would have been cut. And what is also very clear is that the argument that many made that he had good contract and playing options elsewhere were not a reflection of the market.

The Bills are in a good position to draft a good qb prospect this year. If they don't seize that opportunity they will again allow other teams to take what we miss.

Whaley has a history of over-valuing his players. I get the impression that he is intrigued by Cardale more than most are. I'm hoping that this isn't another EJ infatuation situation that turns into bypassing good qb prospects because of over-valuing what you already have.

In general I like Whaley. When it comes to evaluating qbs I have little trust in his judgment. I'm hoping that this new coaching staff can provide better evaluation and judgment on that position.

John, I agree with your take almost entirely. I hope a prospect they like is available in the 3rd round, and that they continue to develop Cardale as well.

I would call it another "prove it" contract. The guy has less than 30 NFL starts. It is not at all clear that he has hit his ceiling.

I fear we won't take a QB at all this year. DW gets so caught up in "value" that he misses the forest for the trees too often.

I fear we won't take a QB at all this year. DW gets so caught up in "value" that he misses the forest for the trees too often.

Wow...I guess I don't agree at all regarding Whaley and value.

He seems to bypass value for need quite often actually.

If we go back to 2013, almost all of his 1st-3rd round picks are need picks; I really only count Darby as a value guy.

Wow...I guess I don't agree at all regarding Whaley and value.

He seems to bypass value for need quite often actually.

If we go back to 2013, almost all of his 1st-3rd round picks are need picks; I really only count Darby as a value guy.

I kinda agree. I'm talking more value in the sense of allocating resources.

DW has no problem dropping 2 high round picks on WR when we have no talent in the position.

Conversely, when we've dedicated a more significant number of resources to a position, like WR, DW is afraid of paying a little bit extra towards it. See the extra $800K it would've cost to ensure we keep Hogan, or the extra $800K to ensure we keep Gillislee this season.

He gets in his head this idea of "I only want to spend/dedicate X to this position group and I won't go a penny higher," and that rigidity usually ends up harming the team. I would not be surprised if the justification used to not take a QB high in 2017 is " We're already paying TT a decent amount and we drafted Cardale, no more resources to QB until one of them are gone." That's his MO and that's what will end up happening, IMO.

Edited by FireChan

I kinda agree. I'm talking more value in the sense of allocating resources.

DW has no problem dropping 2 high round picks on WR when we have no talent in the position.

Conversely, when we've dedicated a more significant number of resources to a position, like WR, DW is afraid of paying a little bit extra towards it. See the extra $800K it would've cost to ensure we keep Hogan, or the extra $800K to ensure we keep Gillislee this season.

He gets in his head this idea of "I only want to spend/dedicate X to this position group and I won't go a penny higher," and that rigidity usually ends up harming the team. I would not be surprised if the justification used to not take a QB high in 2017 is " We're already paying TT a decent amount and we drafted Cardale, no more resources to QB until one of them are gone." That's his MO and that's what will end up happening, IMO.

I see what you're saying...that makes more sense than how I interpreted your original statement.

I agree that Whaley tends to stick to his valuation of a position/player and not deviate; that's how guys like Gilmore end up leaving.

I don't, however, think it'll preclude them from drafting a QB--how high is anyone's guess.

I see what you're saying...that makes more sense than how I interpreted your original statement.

I agree that Whaley tends to stick to his valuation of a position/player and not deviate; that's how guys like Gilmore end up leaving.

I don't, however, think it'll preclude them from drafting a QB--how high is anyone's guess.

From what I've heard, I will be shocked if we take anyone. Unless Watson is there at #10.

Nicely done by Whaley. It allows Cardale to develop, even allows us to draft a QB this year and gives us a couple of seasons before real decisions need to be made. Tyrod has his warts, but no one who is going to be better than him in week 1 is available to us.

Agree. It was a solid move on both Whaley and Tyrod's part. I think TT probably could have gotten a better contract, but he's committed to us and seeing things through.

We still need to add a QB in the draft. Cardale is not the backup and neither TT or Cardale are the long-term franchise.

Hopefully not. QB requires a different valuation and strategy, imo

John, I agree with your take almost entirely. I hope a prospect they like is available in the 3rd round, and that they continue to develop Cardale as well.

Not only are you a sly fellow but you are also a provocateur! :D

If you want to improve your chances on getting a franchise qb odds are more with you if you select one of the higher rated qbs than a lower rated qb who would be available in the third round.

The Bills have not had a franchise qb for over twenty years. The timidity that you subscribe to makes it more probable that the ignominious distinction of not being in the playoffs for more than a generation will continue to haunt this staid organization.

Dithering is a pathetic strategy to take when that cowardly mentality of passivity has only gotten the players on this flaccid franchise to the couch when the post season has started. Fear not eball, fear not. What have you got to lose? Singing the same losing song is a tune I find unappealing. I'm not buying it. :thumbdown:

I'm sorry to all members of this board.

I'm truly embarrassed to even be dealing with this guy. He has been stalking me for a long time, and he has managed to find his way here to continue doing so.

Let it be known that I made it a point to come out and state that I wanted to be more respectful and stick to the calmer vibe around here. And I did just that until this guy started acting inappropriately. I've given examples of this, and you can tell he's only interested in painting me in a negative light. Who saves posts from a board that no longer exists? The guy doesn't even make points...just complete garbage in nearly every post.

I welcome all suggestions on how to deal with this guy. I honestly don't think anything will stop him besides a ban, so I suppose I'll just let things play out.

Again...I apologize for subjecting this board to this level of childish nonsense.

Haha it's all good man.

That other dude is crazy, and in a very dull way.

I'm surprised you went on with the convo as long as you did. Impressive really

Joe B's take on the contract.

So I thought that Taylor would be our QB for at least the next two seasons but that may not be the case. It would depend on how well he plays and also the QB we draft for the future...how well he develops. I agree that this points to the Bills going after a QB of the future in this draft or the next. If I had to guess....1st or 2nd round in this draft.

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/what-the-new-tyrod-taylor-contract-means-for-the-bills

What the new Tyrod Taylor contract means for the Bills

(WKBW) - It was a little less than a week ago that the Buffalo Bills made their decision on starting quarterback Tyrod Taylor -- and once they did, it was also announced that Taylor had restructured his contract.

As we all well know, patience is a virtue, but it had to be practiced until the details of Taylor's new contract came out. Well, at long last, they're out -- and the specifics of the deal will make for an incredibly interesting 2017 season.

The one thing that becomes clear with the new contract: the Bills officially got their wish in every way possible.

The Details

The Bills signed Taylor to the restructured contract, which automatically voided the five-year option that the two parties originally agreed upon.

It goes from a five-year pact essentially to a two-year deal. The final three years of the deal automatically void, but due to the structure of the contract, the prorated signing bonuses would continue out and if the two parties split ahead of the 2019 season, Taylor would keep a dead money hit. The signing bonus from the original extension also carries over, which bumps up some of the dead money as well.

The only guaranteed money is his base salary in 2017 ($7.5M), his new signing bonus ($7M), and $1 million of his base salary in the 2018 season.

This is how the contract is structured with cap hits, according to multiple reports:

2017 Cap Hit: $9,713,334 ($7.5M base salary, $2,213,334 prorated signing bonuses from both contracts)

2018 Cap Hit: $18.08 million ($10M base salary, $2.08M prorated signing bonuses from both contracts, $6M roster bonus)

2019 Cap Hit: $5.56 million (dead money from prorated signing bonuses due to final three years being automatically voided)

What the contract means for the 2017 season

It's pretty cut and dry.

Since the deal is fully guaranteed for this season, Tyrod Taylor will be in Buffalo and likely serve as the starting quarterback for the upcoming year. Taylor took a significant pay cut from his original option to stay in Buffalo, with yet another chance to prove his worth to the rest of the NFL.

What the contract means for the 2018 season

That the Bills can walk away before the season, which is something that they wouldn't have been able to do if the original option on Taylor had been picked up. Now, the only amount they'll owe to the cap -- if released ahead of the new league year in 2018 -- is a total of $8.64 million ($1 million guaranteed from base salary, plus the final four years of prorated signing bonuses).

If they had just kept him on his original option and wanted to walk away ahead of 2018, his dead money attached to the cap would have been $17.69 million. With the restructure, the Bills are saving themselves over $9 million if they want to get away from Tyrod Taylor ahead of 2018.

While the $8.64 million is still a substantial cap hit, it remains a much more plausible idea to release Taylor next offseason -- more so than it would have been if they just picked up the option.

What the contract means for all parties moving forward

This is a humongous victory for the Bills.

They got the guy they wanted in 2017, and the flexibility to walk away at the end of the season if they really want to -- which is the scenario they had to be dreaming of.

Now, the Bills have the ability to draft a quarterback in the hopes that the player turns into their next franchise quarterback. And by bringing Taylor back, they don't have to feel any pressure to play that player in the 2017 season -- whether they draft him in the first or second round of the draft.

If the board doesn't fall their way to pick up a quarterback in the 2017 NFL Draft, then the combination of Taylor's contract along with the Bills much bigger cap space in 2018, they could draft one in the following year, keep Taylor on board, and allow the rookie to learn during the 2018 season.

Either way, all signs point to the Bills addressing the quarterback position -- significantly -- at some point in the next two drafts.

They can also do so without any false pretense of Taylor being their long-term starter, which is why it was smart for head coach Sean McDermott to use the term "at this time" in both the team statement and whenever asked by reporters about the decision to have Taylor as their quarterback.

This, in essence, is a bridge deal and the Bills got exactly what they wanted all along:

The best of both worlds.