Bills Need to Start Trading Down When Possible

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I envy a team like the Patriots that is always trading down to add more picks. Of course it makes it easier to do that when you have the best QB of his era but the Bills do not value their draft picks enough.

The Bills seem to be constantly trading up, giving up extra picks in later rounds and future drafts to acquire players they covet. We traded a future 1st and a 4th to move from 9 to 4 and take Sammy Watkins a WR, in the single greatest WR draft in the history of the NFL. We traded a 4th round pick with Fred Jackson and Spiller on the roster for Bryce Brown, Bryce freakin Brown, seriously? We traded up from 49 to 41 last year to get Ragland when it is not too far fetched to think he would have been there at 49. What did we give up to move up those 8 spots the 4th round pick last and this year.

As many know the BIlls were high on Dak Prescott prior to the draft and would have taken him if he had fallen to the spot where Jones was taken. If we had not traded away that pick to move up for Ragland, it is likely Dak Prescott would currently be on the Bills roster. Whaley's penchant for trading away future picks is severely hampering a team that needs players at many positions.

This year it is a very deep draft at many positions the Bills need and we have only 6 picks. If we had the 10th pick in the 4th round this year, we could draft a CB or Safety prospect that would go in the 2nd or 3rd in other years. It is deep at WR as well. The top end QB's may not be ready to start out of the gate, but there are many interesting developmental QB prospects in the middle rounds. The problem is we have no picks.

Although it is not in Whaley's nature the Bills should try to trade the 10th pick if he is getting offers. I will say if Hooker, Adams, Foster or Lattimore are there at 10, I would be happy with any of them, but we need to start valuing picks more. Whaley might be the best talent evaluator of all time, but it doesn't matter if you think Prescott can be a franchise QB, when you trade away the pick you could have taken him with to move up and get a linebacker.

In my opinion, Whaley has done a piss poor job of managing his draft picks and his drafts overall. It is frustrating as a die hard fan, to look over this upcoming draft, see that the deep positions are the ones we need help at, and know that we only have 6 picks. Since Whaley has been the official GM, we have not had a draft with more than 7 picks. The Watkins year 2014 we had 7. In 2015 we had only 6 because we gave up our first in the Watkins deal and lost a 4th while adding a 6th. In 2016 again we only had 7.

In an age where compensatory picks are the norm, how do the Bills average less than a full slate of 7 picks during the Whaley era? That is not how you build from the ground up. Going top heavy in the draft with a team that has cap issues and several holes is not a winning strategy.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice post.

Would be great if we can trade back this year for many reasons. Holes in our roster, 22 free agents. And amazing depth in this draft. But because there is so much depth in this draft it will be hard to find partners that are willing to trade up. If Whaley and Co. pull it off it would be great for us.

Hey guys it's so easy... We need to trade down. If I don't like what we get from it then I will blast them for trading down... Just saying.

No but really if they can trade down I don't doubt they will.

Edited by Beef Jerky

I envy a team like the Patriots that is always trading down to add more picks. Of course it makes it easier to do that when you have the best QB of his era but the Bills do not value their draft picks enough.

The Bills seem to be constantly trading up, giving up extra picks in later rounds and future drafts to acquire players they covet. We traded a future 1st and a 4th to move from 9 to 4 and take Sammy Watkins a WR, in the single greatest WR draft in the history of the NFL. We traded a 4th round pick with Fred Jackson and Spiller on the roster for Bryce Brown, Bryce freakin Brown, seriously? We traded up from 49 to 41 last year to get Ragland when it is not too far fetched to think he would have been there at 49. What did we give up to move up those 8 spots the 4th round pick last and this year.

As many know the BIlls were high on Dak Prescott prior to the draft and would have taken him if he had fallen to the spot where Jones was taken. If we had not traded away that pick to move up for Ragland, it is likely Dak Prescott would currently be on the Bills roster. Whaley's penchant for trading away future picks is severely hampering a team that needs players at many positions.

This year it is a very deep draft at many positions the Bills need and we have only 6 picks. If we had the 10th pick in the 4th round this year, we could draft a CB or Safety prospect that would go in the 2nd or 3rd in other years. It is deep at WR as well. The top end QB's may not be ready to start out of the gate, but there are many interesting developmental QB prospects in the middle rounds. The problem is we have no picks.

Although it is not in Whaley's nature the Bills should try to trade the 10th pick if he is getting offers. I will say if Hooker, Adams, Foster or Lattimore are there at 10, I would be happy with any of them, but we need to start valuing picks more. Whaley might be the best talent evaluator of all time, but it doesn't matter if you think Prescott can be a franchise QB, when you trade away the pick you could have taken him with to move up and get a linebacker.

In my opinion, Whaley has done a piss poor job of managing his draft picks and his drafts overall. It is frustrating as a die hard fan, to look over this upcoming draft, see that the deep positions are the ones we need help at, and know that we only have 6 picks. Since Whaley has been the official GM, we have not had a draft with more than 7 picks. The Watkins year 2014 we had 7. In 2015 we had only 6 because we gave up our first in the Watkins deal and lost a 4th while adding a 6th. In 2016 again we only had 7.

In an age where compensatory picks are the norm, how do the Bills average less than a full slate of 7 picks during the Whaley era? That is not how you build from the ground up. Going top heavy in the draft with a team that has cap issues and several holes is not a winning strategy.

Can I have "changing coaches every other year" please alex?

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Hey guys it's so easy... We need to trade down. If I don't like what we get from it then I will blast them for trading down... Just saying.

Why bother saying it at all, you added nothing to the conversation. Are you suggesting that Whaley has had no trade offers to trade down in his time as GM? Was he forced to trade two 4ths to move up 8 spots in the 40's and draft a linebacker that may have been there anyway?

Don't you know it's an NFL bylaw, if someone wants to make a trade you have to do it.

Why bother saying it at all, you added nothing to the conversation. Are you suggesting that Whaley has had no trade offers to trade down in his time as GM? Was he forced to trade two 4ths to move up 8 spots in the 40's and draft a linebacker that may have been there anyway?

What? I said I think they would move down if they could.

Whaley has traded down before you know...

Edited by Beef Jerky

The reason that NE trades down is not necessarily to acquire new picks--they trade down because they stick to their board.

They always pick late in round 1, and like most teams, they typically don't have 32 guys with 1st round grades on their board. Unlike most teams, they aren't going to draft a guy with a 1st round pick if they don't have him graded as a 1st round pick.

They're just as apt to trade up when they have a high grade on a player, as they did with Jerod Mayo in 2008 and Chandler Jones in 2012.

What Buffalo needs to do is pick good players at key positions; if value dictates that they trade down, go for it.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Did you guys actually read the post or do you just want to keep reciting the cliche? The post is just as much if not more about Whaley undervaluing and trading away picks when it is not necessary.

Did you guys actually read the post or do you just want to keep reciting the cliche? The post is just as much if not more about Whaley undervaluing and trading away picks when it is not necessary.

Ya but nobody cares about that over talked bull ****. The interesting part is trading down not the negative **** smeared in-between.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

What? I said I think they would move down if they could.

Whaley has traded down before you know...

If you have something to say than say it. Don't come with some veiled half assed defense of Whaley where you finish with just saying and don't actually give an opinion. Be a man and say what you really think.

Of course I read it...the crux of the statement being that the team needs to make better use of their pick is not news, nor do I think it deserves its own thread, so I chose instead to speak to the idea of whether or not trading up/down creates additional value.

So, we should let other teams have a chance at getting star players, while the Bills are stuck with the table scraps, while hoping and praying that they turn into All Pros?

Wasn't there some sort of examination of the teams that are more apt to trading down are more successful and the ones that trade up are less? I'm thinking the Pats and Ravens and Steelers trade down and the Jags and Browns are more apt to trade up.

Wouldn't surprise me but it makes so much sense that you are getting more and more value long term even if you parlay them into going and reaching for a guy every once in a while as you cash in your picks...occasionally.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

So, we should let other teams have a chance at getting star players, while the Bills are stuck with the table scraps, while hoping and praying that they turn into All Pros?

Yep that's it. Saying trading a 4th for Bryce Brown and trading two 4ths to move up 8 spots in the 2nd to get Ragland equates to the Bills not being able to draft star players and only getting table scraps. You are clouding the conversation with your idiotic hyperbole.