Sources: Chasm between Bills coaches, front office on Tyrod

I haven't read the whole thread but I'm sure it was mentioned....Brandon and Overdorf want to move on from Taylor? So nothing has changed after Ryan fired....these 2 guys still have a say over the roster? Amazing

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's pretty obvious that Whaley has no interest in Taylor. That's been essentially crystal clear for some time.

I agree with this. The story seems totally plausible to me. Here's my La Conjecture:

McDermott wants to win now and establish a culture of winning, so he wants the best available QB which he thinks is Taylor. Maybe they even make the playoffs with Tayler. I also suspect he wants to use the top pick on a player who can make an impact immediately, like a MLB.

Whaley wants all efforts put into finding a long term QB solution that can produce a championship and thinks having Taylor on the roster taking all the first team snaps will slow down the development of any prospect. He probably wants to draft a QB at one or two as well so they have him waiting in the wings in case Cardale Jones doesn't cut it.

I can totally see it.

Edited by vincec

7th post of this thread, astb41 nailed it.

Does anyone really think that QB wasn't the very first issue they talked to McDermott about once his interview focused on the Bills team and players? If Coach had such a differing opinion on Tyrod from the FO, why would they hire him? They wouldn't. They would find a coach who shared their same vision. What could have happened in the 7 weeks since McDermott was hired to make them no longer agree? Just because they haven't announced anything to the public doesn't mean that they haven't already made their decision, nor does it mean that they are fighting over the decision. Pure speculation.

McDermott had to go over 2 years of TT film to have an opinion.

Does anyone really think that QB wasn't the very first issue they talked to McDermott about once his interview focused on the Bills team and players? If Coach had such a differing opinion on Tyrod from the FO, why would they hire him? They wouldn't. They would find a coach who shared their same vision. What could have happened in the 7 weeks since McDermott was hired to make them no longer agree? Just because they haven't announced anything to the public doesn't mean that they haven't already made their decision, nor does it mean that they are fighting over the decision. Pure speculation.

As far as the HC hire it was reported that the owners were very impressed with McDermott. It is possible they nudged Whaley to hire McDermott.After all the owners were responsible for bringing in Rex.

Now if the above were true, maybe Whaley and McDermott just agreed on a few options at QB before the hire. Once hired McDermott would have begun a detailed evaluation of taylor and consulted some of the staff he had hired. Maybe in watching all his games he became more impressed with Tyrod. We know he ends up hiring Dennison who seems to have some affinity for Taylor as QB. The hiring of Dennison gave HC more backing. McDermott could go back to owners and say my OC knows Taylor and has done his e v a l on him and is in agreement to keep him. That way McDermott is not on an island in his opinion of tyrod.

All that said you would think this would have been ironed out before the hire, but this is the Bills we are talking about.

unless bills go 9-7 or better, this is very likely whaley's last year.

which is why I question getting rid of TT.....with TT you have chance at 9-7

with cardale or any rookie QB not lining up behind the dallas O-line, it is near impossible to play well in first season. game is just too fast and difficult to master mentally.

keep TT for 1,2 or 3 years AND draft your QB of the future on first or second day. that gives options from a position of strength.

lets say you cut TT, now you are dealing from a weak position.....that signals to league you are very likely picking a qb at #10......I say Cleveland uses the 12th and some of their extra picks to move ahead of us. SF, JETS & CLEV are all likely to take a qb before us. we will use the #10 on the 4th best QB ??....not good.

Whaley is such a simpleton that he'd get rid of Taylor because it's not "his guy".

Whaley already used up all of his "it's the coach's fault" cards so his next excuse to extend his ridiculous tenure here is to force the coaches to start a rookie quarterback. "Terry, the starting QB was a rookie. We're on the right track. We just need more time." "Okay, Doug. I guess you're right."

This is classic organizational chaos.

Owner says GM is going to lead HC search........then personally hires a coach that doesn't agree with the GM opinion regarding the most important position in the organization. :lol:

Closed up all those leaks though.

Functional! :lol:

Lol!

Good post...

Who says Whaley hired the coach?

This reeks of a Berchtold leak. What better way to get back at brandon for dumping him. I imagine the guy who paid $1.4B for the franchise would be none too happy to hear that one of his business employees is deciding the fate of the most important position in the franchise.

Berchtold makes sense, actually.

I'm in favor of a forum rule that says posting anything from Jason LaContorta earns said poster a two-week unpaid vacation.

The guy has not been right once that I can remember with respect to breaking any Bills news.

You figure wrong. I'm serious -- name one time LaContorta has been accurate when it comes to breaking Bills news.

With 20/20 hindsight, this definitely appears to have been true (although it was dissed by many at the time): http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24695455/buffalo-tension-boils-over-in-shouting-match-for-marrone-bills-officials .

So a few of you are working yourselves up into an anti-Whaley frenzy based upon a 'report' of questionable authenticity ? Is that a good summary of the last few hours of posts ?

That's a horrible summary. Half the posters don't believe the report, the other half don't care whether it's true or not - it doesn't change the fact that Whaley is incompetent and needs to be shown the door.