Sources: Chasm between Bills coaches, front office on Tyrod

Guest Diesel-USMC

Absolutely not! And there is zero reason to rush into anything and eliminate options that may or may not be foreseen to improve the position. Why commit before you have to and paint yourself into a corner? I have no problem with this wait. See how it shakes out.

Yup.

I think some look at differing opinions on a situation in the organization as some kind of negative. I don't see it that way. I don't want these guys to be unanimous on a decision. If there is differing opinion, it forces people to think of something they may not have.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ was a third to fourth round talent who got picked in the first round. It didn't work out. Where I disagree with you is that it is my belief that no matter how much training would have been invested in EJ it still wouldn't have worked out. But that is history. Where we both agree is that this organization needs to be more pro-active in finding a franchise qb, most likely through the draft. I strongly believe that this draft has a number of good prospects that will be available to us. I don't want another year to go by where we pass on a Carr type prospect only to see that player elevate another franchise into being a contending team.

There are at least four good prospects, one of which should be available to us. Mahomes is growing on me but I'm open to the other candidates. Even if the qb is selected I prefer not rushing the qb until he is reasonably ready. But I strongly believe that we have to get the qb prospect on the roster sooner rather than later.

I appreciate your thoughtful responses.

That's not how I see it.

Most newly assigned hcs get their qb.

With all due respect to your opinion, where is Whaley the bad guy?

1) Marrone quit and was thinking about it during the season. When we were 8-7 and had a meaningless game to end the season, he should have played EJ for the good of the franchise long term. He didn't care about our franchise.

2) Rex inherited the #4 defense and ruined it. His teams took stupid penalties and maxe zero progress. Whaley got him the qb he wanted and players in the draft he wanted. Rex failed and made the team worse with his system.

Where is the proof that Marrone was thinking about during the season. It makes the rest of your post highly unlikely because its more personal opinion rather than factusl.

It totally makes sense to include the HC in the discussion. In fact, if the HC says that's the QB he can win with, IMO that trumps all. That's exactly where I'm at with Taylor: if McDermott wants him to stay, he should stay. If he doesn't, he shouldn't. I don't care what Pegula, Whaley, Brandon, Overdorf, or the janitor have to say about it.

I also wish Taylor would've played better last year, but I still think he's good enough to be the ~17th highest paid QB until we find something better. That wouldn't be a concern with a well-managed cap.

This is the rstional take.

@john_wawrow

Still hearing #Bills haven't made decision in Tyrod. As for supposed rift, report overblown.

overblown doesnt mean untrue. Where theres smoke there is fire.

Most newly assigned hcs get their qb.

Where is the proof that Marrone was thinking about during the season. It makes the rest of your post highly unlikely because its more personal opinion rather than factusl.

This is the rstional take.

overblown doesnt mean untrue. Where theres smoke there is fire.

I disagree completely - especially when that smoke is blowing out the axxes of sports media guys.

When I was in the army, I was in some high profile operations where some of the media reports couldn't have been further from the truth.

To make the matter worse, some of the way-off-base reporting was in highly regarded outlets such as the NYT and Washington Post. I've been extremely skeptical of the media ever since.

This particularly report about the Bills come from La Canfora who has a track record of reporting things that are factually inaccurate.

I think it's funny that some people are already blaming Brandon or Whaley for the divisiveness at OBD when none of us actually has the slightest info on what's really going on there.

I wonder if Ralph Wilson passing away before that 2014 season played a big factor? Maybe it made Marrone feel like he no longer had the time to develop EJ? My guess would be that he felt he needed to win as many games as possible to try and secure his job with whoever the new owner would be, or give himself the best chance at getting hired as a HC elsewhere around the league.

Looking back, it's pretty clear that Marrone and Whaley were not on the same page. Whaley goes all in on EJ by giving up multiple picks for Sammy Watkins (against Marrone's wishes from the rumors), then Marrone benchs him a few games into the season to try and win more.

I think both of them kind of had their own best interests at heart and I can't really say I blame either one of them, with the uncertainty of new ownership coming in.

reasonable take

Okay who let this fella in?

TBD has no call for his sort.

send me packing too. Sean knew what he was getting into and likely had talked it over with his Boys.

Does not mean plenty of new info has not been bandied about though.

And it certainly is NOT dysfunctional to disagree on matters. It's how they get resolved , or at least treated respectfully.

It took McD ~3 weeks of 16 hour days to go through all of TT's film after he became HC.

Compare that to the "homework" he did before his interview. He probably had ideas and contingencies, but I doubt he had a lock on TT the player.

At that level you use resources. Trusted resources.

Because The Bills Offense is built like few others.

Wow 18 !@#$in pages for la conjecture

well we turned it into a TT thread, obviously !

I disagree completely - especially when that smoke is blowing out the axxes of sports media guys.

When I was in the army, I was in some high profile operations where some of the media reports couldn't have been further from the truth.

To make the matter worse, some of the way-off-base reporting was in highly regarded outlets such as the NYT and Washington Post. I've been extremely skeptical of the media ever since.

This particularly report about the Bills come from La Canfora who has a track record of reporting things that are factually inaccurate.

I think it's funny that some people are already blaming Brandon or Whaley for the divisiveness at OBD when none of us actually has the slightest info on what's really going on there.

two things.

The Laconfora blurts should always be devalued by now. I thought we all knew that.

But in regard to divisiveness at OBD? I think they have a track record.

In this particular case. I see no reason for Bills to announce a decision till they absolutely have to.

BTW some very decent dialogue in this thread, with differing opinions.

I think the talking heads on WGR nailed it pretty good. The Bills wait on Taylor until after March 9 when they can contact other QBs. This gives them 2 days to talk to and or sign a QB. If that is their decision they let Taylor go, if they can't sign a QB in those 2 days they bring Taylor back. Not going to commit to Taylor until they talk to all others starting on the 9th, but had DW, TPegs, SM thought Taylor was the guy for them, don't you think they would have Taylor signed by now and not wait to talk to other QBs? I do, to me it points to a different guy calling signals in 2017.

I think the talking heads on WGR nailed it pretty good. The Bills wait on Taylor until after March 9 when they can contact other QBs. This gives them 2 days to talk to and or sign a QB. If that is their decision they let Taylor go, if they can't sign a QB in those 2 days they bring Taylor back. Not going to commit to Taylor until they talk to all others starting on the 9th, but had DW, TPegs, SM thought Taylor was the guy for them, don't you think they would have Taylor signed by now and not wait to talk to other QBs? I do, to me it points to a different guy calling signals in 2017.

If you sign him before you have to, you close doors.

Might be some back and forth about contract details. His agent was a bit of a weiner last time around

Or you are correct. I am wait and see to be honest. What else can we do ?

Exactly. If McDermott commits to Taylor now, he's likely stuck with him for the next 2-3 years. That could very well be the extent of his employment with the Bills if it doesn't work out. If he believes enough in Taylor to put his job on the line for it, I think you have to grant him that.

If McDermott commits to Taylor now, he likely see this as the best way to win now AND pave the way for the future.

Even if the Bills keep TT, they must pick up another QB for back up. If they draft one of the top guys in this draft, he can work behind TT. If the guy IS the real deal, trade TT.

Don't like that contract now? Then fire the guy(s) who negotiated it.....and, that wasn't REX.........Whaley Overdorf now cleaning up their contract mistake at the expense of the on field product. TT the best QB in 10 years for the Bills. (although Orton did pitch the rock some better)

If McDermott commits to Taylor now, he likely see this as the best way to win now AND pave the way for the future.

Even if the Bills keep TT, they must pick up another QB for back up. If they draft one of the top guys in this draft, he can work behind TT. If the guy IS the real deal, trade TT.

TT money will be guaranteed. Thats the sticking point. Two years at least

send me packing too. Sean knew what he was getting into and likely had talked it over with his Boys.

Does not mean plenty of new info has not been bandied about though.

And it certainly is NOT dysfunctional to disagree on matters. It's how they get resolved , or at least treated respectfully.

Was not a comment on his post but on his avatar.

Orrrrrrrr.......

Maybe DW, TPegs, SM all WANT TT but why not try to get TT to restructure his contract before you sign him? Each side (TT vs OBD) waiting to see who blinks first.

Orrrrrrrr.......

Maybe DW, TPegs, SM all WANT TT but why not try to get TT to restructure his contract before you sign him? Each side (TT vs OBD) waiting to see who blinks first.

Why would he restructure when him and his agent think he can do just as good or better in FA. Makes no sense to restructure.

Exactly. If McDermott commits to Taylor now, he's likely stuck with him for the next 2-3 years. That could very well be the extent of his employment with the Bills if it doesn't work out. If he believes enough in Taylor to put his job on the line for it, I think you have to grant him that.

Thats rite, I could still see him drafting a QB early tho.

The defense was the biggest problem.

That was obvious to anyone without an agenda. Tyrod was only supposed to be a game manager to the top 5 defense and McCoy. Then the defense fell off the face of the earth and all of a sudden TTs expectations went through the roof and way past his pay check.

It took McD ~3 weeks of 16 hour days to go through all of TT's film after he became HC.

Compare that to the "homework" he did before his interview. He probably had ideas and contingencies, but I doubt he had a lock on TT the player.

Right he had an idea but when he got his OC he figures he wants his OC to look at TT and see if he can win with him. So that takes a little more time, then they meet again and decide what they gonna do at QB. I would be surprised if they didnt draft a QB on top of re-structuring and keeping Tyrod anyway.

4 Reasons I cannot discuss here, I also know this to be true. The smoke and mirrors are heavy.

Don't like that contract now? Then fire the guy(s) who negotiated it.....and, that wasn't REX.........Whaley Overdorf now cleaning up their contract mistake at the expense of the on field product. TT the best QB in 10 years for the Bills. (although Orton did pitch the rock some better)

This is factual. Id still keep Tyrod > Orton simply because hes got that big play ability. More entertaining to watch, plus Tyrod & McCoy with that 2014 defense = playoffs.

Why would he restructure when him and his agent think he can do just as good or better in FA. Makes no sense to restructure.

Because he would rather play for Buffalo than take his chances of playing for Clevelnad for 20 mill. Im sure he got his $$ saved, already has a Super Bowl ring, hes driven by starting and leading a team that can be competitive at this point. If that was me I would make the same decision, take a little less $$ to lead on a team that can compete, instead of taking another 20 million to waste away in a QB graveyard.

I see no reason why Bills shouldn't keep Tyrod and draft one fairly early. (trade down, or 2nd rd )

Unless they like Cardale. Then they should draft one late. and then draft one very early next season !

Lets reverse the curse and stock up on QBs. Nice to have some capital to trade or invest in ?

Because he would rather play for Buffalo than take his chances of playing for Clevelnad for 20 mill. Im sure he got his $$ saved, already has a Super Bowl ring, hes driven by starting and leading a team that can be competitive at this point. If that was me I would make the same decision, take a little less $$ to lead on a team that can compete, instead of taking another 20 million to waste away in a QB graveyard.

But I thought 10 teams, per CoT would be lining up for his services.

The reality is, maybe only bad teams would be lining up for his services, and that's a maybe. Like SF, Cle, NYJ. Tyrod is not as good as you and so many others think and it will be realized in about a week. Writing has been on the wall since he was benched for the last game last year, you and a bunch of other refuse to acknowledge it or just can't read.

But I thought 10 teams, per CoT would be lining up for his services.

The reality is, maybe only bad teams would be lining up for his services, and that's a maybe. Like SF, Cle, NYJ. Tyrod is not as good as you and so many others think and it will be realized in about a week. Writing has been on the wall since he was benched for the last game last year, you and a bunch of other refuse to acknowledge it or just can't read.

neither choice would surprise me.. But it comes back to, who will Bills start at QB ?

Kyle Williams was sold on Sean McD's plan to win.

I wonder what that plan truly entails

Edited by 3rdand12

This is factual. Id still keep Tyrod > Orton simply because hes got that big play ability. More entertaining to watch, plus Tyrod & McCoy with that 2014 defense = playoffs.

Clevelnad

Marty, hes only entertaining when playing the bottom half of the league teams. I want to be entertained while playing playoff teams.

And um, Clevelnad, lol.

Thats funny! 😂