Greg Cosell Thinks Bills Should Move On From Tyrod Taylor

After having listened to the interview all the way through I think I'd like to walk back my comments about prepping the road for getting rid of Tyrod. Murphy sounded fairly defensive throughout the interview, to the point where Cosell kind of just said "this may not be popular but I'm not the only one who believes this"

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After having listened to the interview all the way through I think I'd like to walk back my comments about prepping the road for getting rid of Tyrod. Murphy sounded fairly defensive throughout the interview, to the point where Cosell kind of just said "this may not be popular but I'm not the only one who believes this"

Cosell wasn't diplomatic at all. I would have been defensive as a Bills fan! He basically said Tyrod could only succeed if 5 other variables were working in sync. I wouldn't even go that far and people know what camp I am in.

Bills radio guys haven't been selling a position per se but this is shocking if they decide to keep him.

BullBuchanan, that's not true..

Finance figures into it. It just does. Through the years plenty of potential bridge QBs have gotten cut when it would've cost too much to keep them even if they were the best QB on the team.

You only have to go back to the Bills cutting Fitz. He was the best QB on the team, but he was asking for too much money. They made the right move dumping him. He might have won a game or two more that year but he wasn't the long-term answer, he wasn't taking them to the Super Bowl and he wanted too much money.

Same situation here.

Of course the money matters. If it didn't this wouldn't even be a discussion. However, with guys like Gilmore and likely a few more off the books, this team has plenty of money to get the job done. If you aren't going to pay a guy you know can play at least a little, what difference does it make if you use that money to grab supporting cast when your starting QB is [insert EJ Manual clone here]. You just can't win that way. At MINIMUM you're saying we aren't going to be competitive for a Super Bowl in 2017, and what does that say to a guy like Kyle Williams or any long in the tooth FA you might want to bring in for a push? It says we're looking at another 3-5 year rebuild.

I'd rather re-tool. There's no reason that you can't bring back Taylor, use literally every draft pick you have on QBs and fill out the rest of the roster with journeyman FAs.

Of course the money matters. If it didn't this wouldn't even be a discussion. However, with guys like Gilmore and likely a few more off the books, this team has plenty of money to get the job done. If you aren't going to pay a guy you know can play at least a little, what difference does it make if you use that money to grab supporting cast when your starting QB is [insert EJ Manual clone here]. You just can't win that way. At MINIMUM you're saying we aren't going to be competitive for a Super Bowl in 2017, and what does that say to a guy like Kyle Williams or any long in the tooth FA you might want to bring in for a push? It says we're looking at another 3-5 year rebuild.

I'd rather re-tool. There's no reason that you can't bring back Taylor, use literally every draft pick you have on QBs and fill out the rest of the roster with journeyman FAs.

I can comfortably say I don't care even a little if Kyle Williams doesn't want to take an objective view of the team's long term interest, and he's probably my favorite Bill.

And that retool you described (facetiously, but still) sounds a lot like another 7-9.

I can comfortably say I don't care even a little if Kyle Williams doesn't want to take an objective view of the team's long term interest, and he's probably my favorite Bill.

And that retool you described (facetiously, but still) sounds a lot like another 7-9.

Perhaps, but it's critically important to mention that we lost 6 games by a touchdown or less and in every single one of those games our fate ended up being decided by a single play that we didn't execute. 6 plays was the difference between 13-3 and 7-9 for us. Can this team make those 6 plays next year? I'd rather gamble on that then on drafting the first rookie QB to lead his team to a Super Bowl.

This is really a situation where we can have our cake and eat it too. I think we have another out on Taylor's deal after 2 years, so I think the only way you don't make this deal is if it's political. You have to spend the money somewhere, and I'd rather we spend it on a QB we know isn't a total disaster than roll the dice on some cornerback that won't put any W's on the board..

No! No! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnd....No!

The names get really desparate after Tyrod dont they

That is the WHOLE POINT

They've already pretty much decided Gilmore is a goner. They can pick up Tyrod and still resign Brown.... they did a solid job picking up FAs tight to the cap last offseason.

I think the problem is Gilmore simply is not worth his asking price

It is interesting that Bucky Brooks has corner as the 10th pick (I would not do this but)

- McDermott is a D guy

- Gilmore gone

- Darby becomes your number 1....but had a down year last year after looking fantastic in year 1

Perhaps, but it's critically important to mention that we lost 6 games by a touchdown or less and in every single one of those games our fate ended up being decided by a single play that we didn't execute. 6 plays was the difference between 13-3 and 7-9 for us. Can this team make those 6 plays next year? I'd rather gamble on that then on drafting the first rookie QB to lead his team to a Super Bowl.

This is really a situation where we can have our cake and eat it too. I think we have another out on Taylor's deal after 2 years, so I think the only way you don't make this deal is if it's political. You have to spend the money somewhere, and I'd rather we spend it on a QB we know isn't a total disaster than roll the dice on some cornerback that won't put any W's on the board..

Re: the close game...I'll only follow you so far down that path, because while it's true that technically we were 6 plays from 13-3, we scored a fair amount of points in losses after the outcome was pretty well decided. Also, we looked a lot more like a 7-9 team doing it than 13-3.

So in that I guess it's fine to keep Taylor for however long you want, provided your highest ambitions ride in the "10-6/backdoor a wildcard/pray for an elite defense/PS no injuries" lane. For our fanbase that might be appealing to a majority. I just don't agree.

Re: the close game...I'll only follow you so far down that path, because while it's true that technically we were 6 plays from 13-3, we scored a fair amount of points in losses after the outcome was pretty well decided. Also, we looked a lot more like a 7-9 team doing it than 13-3.

So in that I guess it's fine to keep Taylor for however long you want, provided your highest ambitions ride in the "10-6/backdoor a wildcard/pray for an elite defense/PS no injuries" lane. For our fanbase that might be appealing to a majority. I just don't agree.

Whatever it takes to get to the playoffs

Of course the money matters. If it didn't this wouldn't even be a discussion. However, with guys like Gilmore and likely a few more off the books, this team has plenty of money to get the job done.

Our cap space is already limited if we don't resign Gilmore and any of our free agents. Even journeyman FA beyond backup quality FA, cost millions to play as starters. If we don't resign our free agents, we still have to use up our already meager cap space to replace them. We lucked out last year with Brown's and Lorax's one year deals. That is a rarity, not a regularity. We hit the gold mine with Incognito because of off field issues. Expecting those things to happen again is not that realistic. Letting TT go actually adds to our meager cap space. Not paying Woods, Gilmore and others does not add a penny to our existing cap space. About the only other contracts beyond Kyle that realistically frees up a substantial amount of cap space without a ton of dead money are Wood and Graham.

Our cap space is already limited if we don't resign Gilmore and any of our free agents. Even journeyman FA beyond backup quality FA, cost millions to play as starters. If we don't resign our free agents, we still have to use up our already meager cap space to replace them. We lucked out last year with Brown's and Lorax's one year deals. That is a rarity, not a regularity. We hit the gold mine with Incognito because of off field issues. Expecting those things to happen again is not that realistic. Letting TT go actually adds to our meager cap space. Not paying Woods, Gilmore and others does not add a penny to our existing cap space. About the only other contracts beyond Kyle that realistically frees up a substantial amount of cap space without a ton of dead money are Wood and Graham.

So, if we let TT go, we don't have to pay any money toward a QB in 2017?

Edited by cd1

I'm fine with letting Cardale Jones, Mahomes (or other 1st round QB) AND Chad Kelly in the 6th round duke it out. Someone will emerge that can hand the ball to Shady and throw for 200 yards a game.

I'm fine with letting Cardale Jones, Mahomes (or other 1st round QB) AND Chad Kelly in the 6th round duke it out. Someone will emerge that can hand the ball to Shady and throw for 200 yards a game.

I agree , but take Chad in the 5th rd to make sure.

We don't have to pay 30 million over the next 2 years for a QB. TT is strictly a bridge QB. You can trade for or pay a QB to be what they actually are, a bridge QB. Why pay a bridge QB huge starting money. If you are not going to make the SB anyway this year, what is the difference between a 6-8 without TT and an 8-8 with TT. Use the cap space to start the rebuild now instead of in two years. Have a team already around the new QB when we find him that can help him succeed. Get a decent ROT and the WRs to support him. Beef up at S, CB and LB to pick up the defense. Fill those holes now instead of kicking it down the road due to the cap hole we are now being crippled by. Trade for a McCown or a Siemian type Qb with a low cap hit, or sign a reasonable vet FA QB as a bridge. Forget the high priced QBs if you are not in a position to make a serious run at the SB this year.

That might be fine but I would rather trade down in the 1st and get the QB and WR in the late 1st and 2nd rounds. Use our extra pick to fill our many other holes.

Edited by simpleman

We don't have to pay 30 million over the next 2 years for a QB. TT is strictly a bridge QB. You can trade for or pay a QB to be what they actually are, a bridge QB. Why pay a bridge QB huge starting money. If you are not going to make the SB anyway this year, what is the difference between a 6-8 without TT and an 8-8 with TT. Use the cap space to start the rebuild now instead of in two years. Have a team already around the new QB when we find him that can help him succeed. Get a decent ROT and the WRs to support him. Beef up at S, CB and LB to pick up the defense. Fill those holes now instead of kicking it down the road due to the cap hole we are now being crippled by. Trade for a McCown or a Siemian type Qb with a low cap hit, or sign a reasonable vet FA QB as a bridge. Forget the high priced QBs if you are not in a position to make a serious run at the SB this year.

That might be fine but I would rather trade down in the 1st and get the QB and WR in the late 1st and 2nd rounds. Use our extra pick to fill our many other holes.

Thanks, that makes sense.