Free Agents 2017 edition

CommonCents

They are rebuilding correctly. Bottom out to land your QB, invest heavily in the oline and running game to help him develop and keep him upright, clear out cap room to make impact defensive signings when you are ready to turn the corner.

Agreed. And until you have that QB and are ready to turn the corner one must not overlay players that won't allow us to turn the corner.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. And until you have that QB and are ready to turn the corner one must not overlay players that won't allow us to turn the corner.

Sure, but it would be nice to trade them for future value instead of letting them walk or washing out the comp picks by having FA "depth".

Sure, but it would be nice to trade them for future value instead of letting them walk or washing out the comp picks by having FA "depth".

Easier said than done. Only the pats succeed in that respect. How many big name players are traded each year that aren't in the pats? How many big name players are acquired via free agency. We're just like every other team. We aren't the minority

https://mobile.twitter.com/AnthonyDiMoro/status/839888728361422848

Saints sign Ginn and according to this guy they are finalizing the Cooks for Butler deal.

Bouye supposedly leaning towards the Jags. That would be a lethal combination with Ramsey. I think they also added Barry Church at S.

Still a paper tiger until proven otherwise, they fooled me last year.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AnthonyDiMoro/status/839888728361422848

Saints sign Ginn and according to this guy they are finalizing the Cooks for Butler deal.

Bouye supposedly leaning towards the Jags. That would be a lethal combination with Ramsey. I think they also added Barry Church at S.

Still a paper tiger until proven otherwise, they fooled me last year.

Obviously

Updated FA Tracker: DT Terrell McClain to the #Redskins #Bills released S Aaron Willams G Ronald Leary to #Broncos per @MikeGarafolo

S Quintin Demps to #Bears WR Kenny Britt & JC Tretter to #Browns

Bears are releasing QB Jay Cutler, per sources. Cutler asked for and was granted his release this morning. Now a free agent.

If the Bills are freeing up cap, I have to wonder for who? Are we building cap space to roll over into next year and writing off 2017? The quality free agents are disappearing rapidly already. We have lost most of our own FAs worth resigning already. But we have done nothing to sign replacements that make us better than last year. We need 2 starting safeties after AW's healthy release, we released another capable CB beyond Gilmore. We just put a 5th on Gillislee, I doubt a 5th would scare off any team that wanted him, all to save 1 million. We have 1 WR worth caring about. We have not signed a solution at RT. We have not solved our LB situation,. We have stayed with a mediocre QB who can run, but isn't very good in the passing game. By my count we need at least 1 quality LB, 2 quality Safeties, at least 2 quality WRs, two quality CBs, and a lot of depth, at minimum. We still need a QB of the future, TT is just a bridge. Jones is a huge question mark. That is a lot to expect to come from a draft with only three real picks, 1 first, 1 2nd, 1 third, and no 4th.

Expecting to get a player who will even be with the team next year, much less make a major contribution this year from 2 5ths (one very late) and a 6th does not carry very high odds of happening. I see nothing at this point to even make the team a 5 win team with all our losses and no gains. So far this team's decisions seem eerily like those made during the Ralph Wilson futility era.

Edited by simpleman

Albert Breer‏Verified account @AlbertBreer 20m20 minutes ago

Bengals OT Andrew Whitworth set to sign with the Los Angeles Rams, per his agents @_SportsTrust.

Ducasse, Hauschka and DiMarco are pending UFAs and will count

Yeah, I guess I was a little groggy this morning; it does appear that all 3 of those are qualifying free agents. Well then I'm not too psyched. I guess on the bright side, all 3 are pretty low-value contracts, and it's still possible that enough of our 23 UFAs are signed to low-value deals to cancel out these 3 and any other signings we make, but we'll see. I know the contract signed has to be above some threshold to count for the formula, but I suspect that most of our UFAs will wind up with minimum-type deals or out of the league. There's a report that Goodwin signed with the 49ers for 2 years, $8 million, so that should count at least.

But if any of these 3 wind up cancelling out Gilmore, Woods, or Zach Brown (or Alexander if he's not re-signed), then that's just moronic on the Bills' part. I think I would rather have 3 comp picks and UDFAs at FB, G, and K than the 3 we signed and no comp picks. But I would much, much rather have 3 comp picks and 3 non-qualifying free agents at the ever-so-crucial positions of:

1.) Guy who rarely touches the ball and is on the field for 30% of offensive snaps at most

2.) Backup guard

3.) Kicker

DiMarco is definitely the most defensible of the 3 - there aren't really FBs in college any more, so if your offense works better with a lot of FB packages, there is real value in going out and getting a good one. But I'm still skeptical, just like I was when we signed Felton 2 years ago. I tend to prefer the guys more in the vein of Felton 2.0 - useful vets who got cut because they were overpaid, who we then scoop up on the cheap. In that particular case, we were the ones both overpaying in the first place and scooping up afterwards.