The Role of Safeties in McDermott's Defense

cover1

I studied a bunch of Panther games from 2016 and noticed that Safeties are quite important and we NEED a few of them. So I did a little film room session to show their roles..Who are guys that fit the role in this draft??

http://www.cover1.net/2017/02/cover-1-film-room-the-role-of-safeties-in-sean-mcdermotts-defense/

Edited by cover1

Adams/Hooker would certainly fill one of those roles.

Hooker serves your first point and Adams the second and third. Wouldn't mind either at 10.

Adams is my #1, I pray that he falls!!!

Man you're right AW would fit nicely In this D. Just can't bank on his already compromised body holding up to the demands of the job...

Aaron should just retire.

I love posts like this. Great job. I would lose it if Adams were there at 10. Hooker would be a great consolation prize. But I think Adams is the star in this safety class.

I really like AW. He has a lot of heart. He's the kind of emotional leader this team needs. But I worry about his health. For that reason alone I hope he retires.

Edited by somnus00

I love posts like this. Great job. I would lose it if Adams were there at 10. Hooker would be a great consolation prize. But I think Adams is the star in this safety class.

I really like AW. He has a lot of heart. He's the kind of emotional leader this team needs. But I worry about his health. For that reason alone I hope he retires.

I just hope he is getting good medical advice on the risks, so at least the trade offs are clear. It's a lotta money too on the line. People forget that some times.

Malik Hooker**, S, Ohio State

Height: 6-2. Weight: 205.

Projected 40 Time: 4.47.

Projected Round (2017): Top-10 Pick.

2/11/17: WalterFootball.com was first to report that Hooker would be out 4-6 months after surgeries to repair a hernia and labrum injury. That could cause Hooker to slide some in the first round and maybe not be the first safety selected.

I'll read this later when free. Interested to see this take

We must note that he has never had a corner like Gilmore if we can keep him. Norman was overrated and zone only. If we keep our CBS we will have something he has never had and very much change our defense. Our safeties may end up more in an LB role. He had LBs. We have none.

Read it. A lot pops out at me. 2016 isn't accurate for a Carolina d except that it shows what MCD is capable of doing and adapting with as a coach.

2013 and 2014 he used safeties similarly to 2016 grooming them to become the 2015 d. Roman harper became an integral part of that as he would be Aaron Williams. Smart enough to track the ball and play the man whilst not finding himself out of position to get slayed on the run. His 2013 and 2014 d had issues outside at corner as josh Norman hadn't bickered with odj so no one knew who he was. His outside and under zone coverages on Norman meant Norman looked very good whilst the safeties were tremendously tasked with catching up in the range you speak of.

Our safeties are as good as Carolina if Aaron can do anything for the entire season. Corey graham can be upgraded. A first round pick on hooker or that other kid will upset people. Safety is a steep learning curve in the NFL. But I have confidence both will be good starters. If we got hooker and berry it'd be game over tho Gilmore would be gone we could survive with body x playingcb opposite Darby. I do believe Darby will struggle early though so good safety is Paramount. Looking at this situation I can't imagine Gilmore or Darby are excited to play a completely different role and will welcome it once they get comfortable. But it won't be man to man and isolated. It will be a coverage that works synchronized in harmony - and without lbs that may not be so smooth.

I think safety is the biggest need for the Bills (if they keep Tyrod). Their defense struggled mightily against the run after Williams went out last year, almost a night and day difference. They need to draft a safety within the first 3 rounds and also grab a couple in FA

Adams/Hooker would certainly fill one of those roles.

Hooker serves your first point and Adams the second and third. Wouldn't mind either at 10.

Either would be great. What do people think about Peppers from Michigan? I've seen him listed as a safety and LB.

What if somehow we can get Adams in the 1st and Budda Baker falls into our lap in the 2nd?

Lots of safety depth. In that case I think I'd role with Adams and take OL or WR in the 2nd. Then hit safety/CB later on. But that is a great question. I wouldn't dislike having them both.

Malik Hooker**, S, Ohio State
Height: 6-2. Weight: 205.
Projected 40 Time: 4.47.
Projected Round (2017): Top-10 Pick.
2/11/17: WalterFootball.com was first to report that Hooker would be out 4-6 months after surgeries to repair a hernia and labrum injury. That could cause Hooker to slide some in the first round and maybe not be the first safety selected.

Is a labrum injury serious? With this news, I'd be leary of taking him at 10. Perhaps trade down and still land him? Or another top 5 safety.

how do you see S Obi Melifonwu from Connecticut for McDermotts defense?

Still have to study him, not a lot of film out yet. I watched a similar player in Harvey Clemons who is 6'5" 230 similar to a Kam Chancellor. Played linebacker, good tackler, would be a good cover 3 buzz/flats defender.