A closer look into Tyrod Taylor's 2016 season

cover1

A big decision looms, so I decided to look over some of the bad choices Taylor made in 2016. There weren't many interceptions to breakdown, but they were different mistakes than 2015, versus different coverages and he obviously played without his #1 WR.

Full article with Taylor's advanced stats and how much of a difference Sammy would've made-

http://www.cover1.net/2017/02/tyrod-taylors-interceptions-2016/

Video:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The interesting stat in the link is that he dropped back to pass over 100 times this season and didn't throw it. That right thar is the problem!

Either he can't see the whole field or he doesn't trust what he sees.

42 of those would be sacks I assume. That leaves 58 dropbacks (3.87 per game) and he averaged 6.3 rush attempts per game per Pro Football Reference, so it seems to fit (60% of his runs are broken plays, 40% are designed runs).

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Cause no other NFL QB made bad choices last year

If that's what you derived from his commentary you should watch it again. He was more than fair in his breakdowns and complimented the opposition on multiple occasions. This wasn't a bash video.

Edited by Commonsense

I thought the snaps under center vs. shotgun was a bit telling on our overall strategy.

It's something that has to change if TT is back. I understand why they do it, but we need him under center more.

Look at TT in the Kubiak/Dennison offense:

https://twitter.com/Cover1Bills/status/828050093148426242

Nice work.

Thanks! If you have any suggestions or ideas let me know.

42 of those would be sacks I assume. That leaves 58 dropbacks (3.87 per game) and he averaged 6.3 rush attempts per game per Pro Football Reference, so it seems to fit (60% of his runs are broken plays, 40% are designed runs).

Here are the stats according to PFF.

529 dropbacks

42 sacks

51 scrambles

25 throwaways

7 batted passes

1 spike

21 drops

6 INTs

So 396 total aimed passes-269 completions

Edited by cover1

It's something that has to change if TT is back. I understand why they do it, but we need him under center more.

Look at TT in the Kubiak/Dennison offense:

[url=

]https://twitter.com/Cover1Bills/status/828050093148426242[/url

This has been my question since we hired Dennison. Given the WCO concepts he incorporates and the frequent use of play action, it is imperative that TT get comfortable under center. But will Dennison trust him with his back to the defense on those plays, which are a staple in his schemes? i think it's an important consideration.

This has been my question since we hired Dennison. Given the WCO concepts he incorporates and the frequent use of play action, it is imperative that TT get comfortable under center. But will Dennison trust him with his back to the defense on those plays, which are a staple in his schemes? i think it's an important consideration.

Yes, because in the end there are a lot of half field reads and high low concepts, things TT has done the last couple years.

Edited by cover1

Yes, because in the end there are a lot of half field reads and high low concepts, things TT has done the last couple years.

I can appreciate this, but when we describe a QB in terms of limited reads, it says a lot about his ability as a QB. Simply put, if a QB cannot routinely use the entire field to attack a defense, he is too easy to defend in this league. Especially vs. better DCs who are already very good at limiting space, taking away what you do best in the process, and daring you to beat them with what they know you aren't comfortable with doing. I fully understand I'm talking about the vast majority of QBs in this league when I say that so it's not so much a knock on TT as it is a comment on the state of QBing in today's league.

My hope is that TT can become a good QB from under center because I am a fan of good play action. When an OL can sell run action and a QB can sell that fake, it's a thing of beauty.

I can appreciate this, but when we describe a QB in terms of limited reads, it says a lot about his ability as a QB. Simply put, if a QB cannot routinely use the entire field to attack a defense, he is too easy to defend in this league. Especially vs. better DCs who are already very good at limiting space, taking away what you do best in the process, and daring you to beat them with what they know you aren't comfortable with doing. I fully understand I'm talking about the vast majority of QBs in this league when I say that so it's not so much a knock on TT as it is a comment on the state of QBing in today's league.

My hope is that TT can become a good QB from under center because I am a fan of good play action. When an OL can sell run action and a QB can sell that fake, it's a thing of beauty.

I don't want to speak for Erik, because the man knows his X's and O's as well as anyone...

For me, my opinion is that Dennison will want to use boot-action and moving pockets from under-center looks to help vary the route concepts and keep the defense honest. It's not a great substitute for a QB that can make full-field reads on a routine basis, but it's better than nothing.