Bills look more likely to keep TT - working on restructure

YoloinOhio

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point I almost don't care. If they keep Taylor that means they're not tanking, which would make next season more enjoyable. But if they took a QB at 10, that would be exciting too. Then again, so too would be drafting Corey Davis. I could go either way.

The only way the Bills really screw this up is letting TT walk, missing out on Romo and Smith, and not drafting a QB high.

Unless they are losing on purpose, a McCown, UDFA, Cardale QB competition may kill me.

Lol @full rebuild if Mr 7-9 leaves town.

There's no doubt in my mind that if they let Taylor go that others will follow and that their objective next season will not be to win football games. Unless they got Romo, which isn't happening.

The only way the Bills really screw this up is letting TT walk, missing out on Romo and Smith, and not drafting a QB high.

Unless they are losing on purpose, a McCown, UDFA, Cardale QB competition may kill me.

We are in complete agreement. Life is too short for a tank, I don't have the time or the patience after what we've already endured and I think Brandon realizes that as well. I think they have enough pieces in place to justify not having to tank. Edited by metzelaars_lives

I don't want to lose and get a top pick. I also don't want to pay Taylor to go 5-11.

Starting Trubisky or Watson would be ideal.

This is a change for you, so used to seeing 7-9 as your expectation, even earlier in this thread. You're throwing us a curve here.

I love the way people have decided how we will do next year if we do or don't bring him back. Just freakin' Laughable

It's not a matter of what their record will be but it is indicative of whether or not they're trying to win next season, which I'd prefer they do. Unless they keep everyone else and start the guy they take at 10. Edited by metzelaars_lives

He's not going to win a SB for us. Cut him

If winning a SB is your ONLY definition of success, you are in for a lot more disappointing years rather than happy years. Kelly was a FQB. Marino was a FQB. Rivers is a FQB. There are numerous others. None of them won SBs. Some never even got there.

Build your team in all 3 phases. That's the way the NYG's did it. You don't think that Eli is great do you? He is good but certainly not great, yet he won two. Keep building the team every year, including QB, but consider a playoff team or a team that makes a playoff run, not a failure. Remember the Bills of the 90's. Some SB runs, some playoffs, and some non playoff years. What I remember is - it was a helluva ride despite no SB rings.

There's no doubt in my mind that if they let Taylor go that others will follow and that their objective next season will not be to win football games. Unless they got Romo, which isn't happening.

We are in complete agreement. Life is too short for a tank, I don't have the time or the patience after what we've already endured and I think Brandon realizes that as well. I think they have enough pieces in place to justify not having to tank.

I don't mind the idea of tanking if they're as sure as they can be about a guy in 2018. They are at a crossroads no doubt, but single "down year" to shed some dead cap weight and reload isn't necessarily a bad idea.

Drafting a QB is always a gamble, but we should be looking for a franchise QB in every draft until we have one.

For this year your options are really:

1) Keep Tyrod and start him (whether you draft a development franchise QB to sit or not depends on who is there).

2) Draft and throw to the wolves a not-ready starter for development and/or tanking.

3) Draft and play a ready to compete starter

4) Trade/sign for Romo or some other non-rookie to start

I think #2 is pretty dumb, as I think playing when you aren't ready can stunt growth more than help it, and I think tanking is super dumb, especially when we have been a few plays from the playoffs the last couple years.

I expect 2017 Romo will be better than 2017 Taylor, but we have no guarantee of landing him when he is released, so unfortunately is a bad idea to bank on, so #4 can be an afterthought, but the two contract situations and timing probably makes it impossible without significant risk of having neither.

So that leaves you with either playing Tyrod, or drafting one of the three potentially day 1 QBs (Watson, Kizer, Trub.). However exciting these three might be, there is no guarantee any is available at #10, and the more "ready" they show to be through workouts and interviews, the more likely they are gone at #10. I'm open to taking them at #10, and I'm open to trading up if it makes sense. But that information doesn't happen until after the Tyrod decision is made. Paying just dollars (opportunity cost, cap, etc...I know it is still important) to potentially have one too many QBs on the roster is much better than having one too few.

Keep Tyrod because the day you have to decide that, it isn't clear you can do better anywhere.

Try at every possible point to upgrade the QB position until you have found a clear franchise QB, whether a complete surprise from Tyrod, a first round success, or a later round hidden gem.

But keeping Tyrod shouldn't in any way keep them from drafting a QB at #10, trading up to get one they really like, etc. Tyrod can certainly get a paycheck and a uniform and start the off season at the top of the depth chart, but he is not a franchise QB at the moment and so until he proves otherwise, we should be as aggressive as possible with the position regardless of whether Tyrod is on the roster.

I think you're probably right. But if Taylor leaves, they dump McCoy, Kyle Williams retires, Gilmore walks, etc. then I think we'll all know what they're trying to do.

Good point about the others. That's why its so important to restructure and get him back. Which is what I've always thought the plan was. I'm in the minority, but I believe Taylor with a new receiving core, and adding a safety for starters and Mickey D will improve the D. I feel like competent coaching and we will be a playoff contender. We had incompetent coaching under RR. JMO