2013 draft (the EJ draft)

dave mcbride

It was really bad at the top for almost everyone -- http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/10/nfl-draft-depth-talent-prospects-notebook

PS -- how smart were the Bills to trade away this year's and last year's 4th rounder for Ragland? This is apparently a historically deep draft, and the Bills are short on picks. My answer -- not very. And I still like the Watkins trade.

Edited by dave mcbride

Yea the 2013 class was bad. Lane Johnson has been good on the field but is a question mark off it otherwise it was a sucky class.

The assessment in the article of this QB class is much more in line with mine. It lacks a top end star but has guys that can play.

It is also a deep draft in a number of positions... but I am not mad over the first round talent I must say. I like the secondary and the pass rushers but beyond that I am not bowled over.

I currently have only 9 offensive guys with 1st round grades. 2 QBs (Trubisky and Watson), 2 RBs (Fournette and Cook), 2 TEs (Njoku and Howard), 2 WRs (Davis and Williams) and 1 OL (Lamp). I expect that more than that will go of course... but I don't think the skill position value really opens up until the 2nd and the lineman value is awful in this draft.

Edited by GunnerBill

Yea the 2013 class was bad. Lane Johnson has been good on the field but is a question mark off it otherwise it was a sucky class.

The assessment in the article of this QB class is much more in line with mine. It lacks a top end star but has guys that can play.

It is also a deep draft in a number of positions... but I am not mad over the first round talent I must say. I like the secondary and the pass rushers but beyond that I am not bowled over.

I currently have only 9 offensive guys with 1st round grades. 2 QBs (Trubisky and Watson), 2 RBs (Fournette and Cook), 2 TEs (Njoku and Howard), 2 WRs (Davis and Williams) and 1 OL (Lamp). I expect that more than that will go of course... but I don't think the skill position value really opens up until the 2nd and the lineman value is awful in this draft.

It's interesting what Breer says about the possible decline in offensive line skill going forward because of the new rules and the spread.

I have zero problems swinging and missing on a qb, especially with a trade down. It still remains embarrassing that EJ got a OC/ qb coach who's only experience was at Cuse.

That's why I have zero problems with them taking a shot at another qb this year. The Bills rarely take shots at qbs. And for all the people saying it is a weak class, those are the same experts who slept on Romo, Russell Wilson, Dak, Brady, etc and etc.

I have zero problems swinging and missing on a qb, especially with a trade down. It still remains embarrassing that EJ got a OC/ qb coach who's only experience was at Cuse.

That's why I have zero problems with them taking a shot at another qb this year. The Bills rarely take shots at qbs. And for all the people saying it is a weak class, those are the same experts who slept on Romo, Russell Wilson, Dak, Brady, etc and etc.

He had Roman and Lynn, two respected coaches for 2 years. And still sucked.

He's done.

It was really bad at the top for almost everyone -- http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/10/nfl-draft-depth-talent-prospects-notebook

PS -- how smart were the Bills to trade away this year's and last year's 4th rounder for Ragland? This is apparently a historically deep draft, and the Bills are short on picks. My answer -- not very. And I still like the Watkins trade.

Many here lamented that Wrex Wyan would get too much input in the draft, and shore up his defense (where his reputation was on the line).

We got Wrecked, with desperation moves.

To be fair they set him up to fail with Hackett and Marrone no QB coach 1st year.

STOP!!!!

EJM blows, and no coach would have saved him.

never trade up unless for an obvious QB or your are a real contender and need one piece to put you over the top.

It's interesting what Breer says about the possible decline in offensive line skill going forward because of the new rules and the spread.

the spread is the bane of football

To be fair they set him up to fail with Hackett and Marrone no QB coach 1st year.

He was fail from before we drafted him, even his own coach didn't think he was any good

Let's see how Ragland does...

No Kidding. People are trying to judge his draft value and he hasn't played a snap. Come on dudes......

2015 SEC player of the year. And this summary:

Demonstrates the blend of size, aggression, instincts and reliable open-field tackling skills to project well inside to 4-3 and 3-4 principles, alike. Takes accurate first steps and shows excellent closing burst to arrive with pop at the point of attack.

Works off blocks well with balance and anticipation, looking through blockers to keep his eyes on the prize, doing a much better job downhill rather than in reverse. Physical striker with reliable breakdown skills in the open field, wrapping, driving and finishing. Dirtiest jersey on the field and plays each snap like it is his last.

And yet, we screwed up drafting him already......

No. He sucked with every coach he's had. His two best games were his first two. That's enough.

I wont dispute that. Just saying, its not like he had a good hand of cards dealt to him.

Many here lamented that Wrex Wyan would get too much input in the draft, and shore up his defense (where his reputation was on the line).

We got Wrecked, with desperation moves.

STOP!!!!

EJM blows, and no coach would have saved him.

Im not defending him. Just pointing out what he had to deal with. Tyrod > EJ.

No Kidding. People are trying to judge his draft value and he hasn't played a snap. Come on dudes......

2015 SEC player of the year. And this summary:

Demonstrates the blend of size, aggression, instincts and reliable open-field tackling skills to project well inside to 4-3 and 3-4 principles, alike. Takes accurate first steps and shows excellent closing burst to arrive with pop at the point of attack.

Works off blocks well with balance and anticipation, looking through blockers to keep his eyes on the prize, doing a much better job downhill rather than in reverse. Physical striker with reliable breakdown skills in the open field, wrapping, driving and finishing. Dirtiest jersey on the field and plays each snap like it is his last.

And yet, we screwed up drafting him already......

Fan of Ragland. Hope he gets back to where he was before the ACL and hit the books on his rookie IR year.

I wont dispute that. Just saying, its not like he had a good hand of cards dealt to him.

Im not defending him. Just pointing out what he had to deal with. Tyrod > EJ.

Fan of Ragland. Hope he gets back to where he was before the ACL and hit the books on his rookie IR year.

Reports about him from camp were good. I'm sure we'll hear more this year. Is it August, yet?

Generally, I like Whaley but as noted he has made some glaring mistakes. I'm not going to rehash them. EJ sucked at FSU and his chances of being a franchise QB was miniscule. I would not have had any problem if they took him in the fourth round similar to Jones. If the Bills select a QB at 10 it will be a reach in my eyes. Will the reach be worth it?

• 1 month later...

My point all along is the 2013 sucked. The Bills traded down picked up an extra second and took a shot at a qb. I think they played it well.

As for Ej , I can't say he things would have turned out different for him with better circumstances. I will say he really walked into a rough situation. Asked to start right away , the coach didn't want him, he got injured ect, ect. Moving on is the best thing for him. I Jhope act 2 works out better for him

Edited by baskingridgebillsfan