Myles Garrett plans to stay at home for 2017 NFL Draft

papazoid

I just saw a video of him on ESPN, pleading his case for Jerry to send Romo and picks to Cleveland, so Myles can be a Cowboy. Wow!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/10/myles-garrett-asks-cowboys-to-trade-up-and-draft-him/

I just read the article, and it sounds like he is mostly kidding about this.

Still, it is quite amusing.

Why? Talking **** about the Browns is pretty much an American pastime at this point.

When they are about to be your bosses and teammates, it's not.

If I'm Cleveland, I avoid this dude. Trade to 3 or 4 and take a QB you like.

Edited by FireChan

Jim Kelly didn't want to play in Buffalo. It happens.

Jim Kelly isn't Myles Garrett, and it is 2017. I understand your point of view. However, top picking teams are going to grill his already questionable character. He's up for combine interviews soon. Pretty sure, every team will question his heart.

Why? Talking **** about the Bills is pretty much an American pastime at this point.

*fixed

Browns have more championships with 8.

Bills, only 2.

If you want to walk away from the best player in the draft because he's a Cowboys fan and wants to play for them, you deserve to suck for eternity.

Jim Kelly isn't Myles Garrett, and it is 2017. I understand your point of view. However, top picking teams are going to grill his already questionable character. He's up for combine interviews soon. Pretty sure, every team will question his heart.

"Already questionable character", what the holy hell did I miss?

If you want to walk away from the best player in the draft because he's a Cowboys fan and wants to play for them, you deserve to suck for eternity.

I mean, Blokes, if you think he'd being saying this if the 'Boys were 4-12 last year, you're kidding yourself.

His agent is in his ear saying it's almost a guarantee he goes to Cleveland. Why do something that could potentially alienate yourself with them? I know he's a kid, but even when I was his age, I'd keep my mouth shut when I'm about to get paid $20M.

Edited by FireChan

1) Gil Brandt called him out several times on his show on SiriusXM on how he takes plays off if he gets overmatched. If he doesn't win the first initial battle, he will cash the game in. Went on questioning, he has great potential and big time player, but thinks he gives up. Talked about comparing him to Mario Williams going #1.

2) Doesn't want to play in the cold.

3) Won't go to Philadelphia for the Draft.

4) Begs to get drafted by the Cowboys.

Now is he the best player in the draft. Oh yeah! But, his choices in the past 24 hours are starting to ring some alarms if he doesn't get what he wants.

Edited by KollegeStudnet

I mean, Blokes, if you think he'd being saying this if the 'Boys were 4-12 last year, you're kidding yourself.

His agent is in his ear saying it's almost a guarantee he goes to Cleveland. Why do something that could potentially alienate yourself with them? I know he's a kid, but even when I was his age, I'd keep my mouth shut when I'm about to get paid $20M.

He's a kid from Arlington, I absolutely buy that he'd want to play for the Cowboys. I choose to believe that, although potentially misguided (mainly because EVERYONE overthinks this ****), he's just a kid having a bit of fun. I don't see it as a slight to Cleveland necessarily because it's never going to happen, it's about the least likely scenario imaginable. When did we come to the point where we hate robotic non-answers from players AND vilify the slightest amount of character?

1) Gil Brandt called him out several times on his show on SiriusXM on how he takes plays off if he gets overmatched. If he doesn't win the first initial battle, he will cash the game in. Went on questioning, he has great potential and big time player, but thinks he gives up. Talked about comparing him to Mario Williams going #1.

2) Doesn't want to play in the cold.

3) Won't go to Philadelphia for the Draft.

4) Begs to get drafted by the Cowboys.

Now is he the best player in the draft. Oh yeah! But, his choices in the past 24 hours are starting to ring some alarms if he doesn't get what he wants.

1) I'll disagree with Gil on that one but that's a subjective thing. I wrote something last night accusing a player of something similar so maybe some merit to it.

2) He's from Texas. I'm not surprised he doesn't like the cold. A lot of people don't.

3) Not attending the draft isn't a character issue. If you think it is, tweet Joe Thomas. He might take you fishing.

4) Misguided perhaps but not a character issue.

He's a kid from Arlington, I absolutely buy that he'd want to play for the Cowboys. I choose to believe that, although potentially misguided (mainly because EVERYONE overthinks this ****), he's just a kid having a bit of fun. I don't see it as a slight to Cleveland necessarily because it's never going to happen, it's about the least likely scenario imaginable. When did we come to the point where we hate robotic non-answers from players AND vilify the slightest amount of character?

I don't hate robotic answers or character. I don't hate Garrett for what he said, I just think it was stupid and more importantly, not worth it.

And there's a significant difference, IMO, of a reporter asking Garrett where'd he like to play, "Well, I've grown up in Arlington and stayed in Texas so I'd say Dallas because it's always been my dream, Mr. Jones, if you're listening, please trade up" and him making a home video saying only half that. One is spur of the moment light-heartedness. The other comes across a little worse, potentially.

I wasn't trying to get that deep into analyzing, because that's quite a bit for one stupid home video.

I don't hate robotic answers or character. I don't hate Garrett for what he said, I just think it was stupid and more importantly, not worth it.

And there's a significant difference, IMO, of a reporter asking Garrett where'd he like to play, "Well, I've grown up in Arlington and stayed in Texas so I'd say Dallas because it's always been my dream, Mr. Jones, if you're listening, please trade up" and him making a home video saying only half that. One is spur of the moment light-heartedness. The other comes across a little worse, potentially.

I wasn't trying to get that deep into analyzing, because that's quite a bit for one stupid home video.

I find it such a non-event and you've got people tweeting him about breaking his leg at the Combine. I guess that stirs something in me.

It's certainly not the smartest thing he could've done with his day but he didn't exactly Dri Archer it and say that he wouldn't play for anyone but his boyhood team. The Browns can't afford to get butthurt over this, they can't overthink it. So what if the fans hate him? Within a few weeks, he sacks Dalton and Roethlisberger and they'll forget all about it. As a fan base, they've forgot worse.

Edited by Blokestradamus

I find it such a non-event and you've got people tweeting him about breaking his leg at the Combine. I guess that stirs something in me.

It's certainly not the smartest thing he could've done with his day but he didn't exact Dri Archer it and say that he wouldn't play for anyone but his boyhood team. The Browns can't afford to get butthurt over this, they can't overthink it. So what if the fans hate him? Within a few weeks, he sacks Dalton and Roethlisberger and they'll forget all about it. As a fan base, they've forgot worse.

People on Tweeter are insane is the major takeaway.

If I'm a team that thinks Cleveland is trading out because of this, then I'm offering less for the pick.

​sam kahn jr
espn staff writer

Myles Garrett said he was a little caught off guard by the national reaction to his video of him jokingly pleading the Dallas Cowboys to draft him. "I've already said I like the Cowboys because that's my hometown team. But I want to go No. 1. Whoever that is, if that's Cleveland, I have no problem going up there and playing with them. I'm going to love whatever team and organization that I'm a part of."

Zeke pleaded for the cowboys to draft him too and it worked. Still, they didn't need to trade up to do so. This is tacky and not a good way to start off with your new franchise. Perhaps he will luck out and the Browns trade the pick but he should stfu.

Rite. Lets see how this plays out. Now we should laugh if the Browns draft him. Which I hope they should, takes a team away from the top 2 QBs

Jim Kelly didn't want to play in Buffalo. It happens.

Neither did Tom Couseneau, Gary Anderson, and Joe Cribbs.

Cornelius Bennett didn't want to play for the Colts.

Elway didn't want to either.

Eli Manning didn't want to play for the Chargers.

• 3 weeks later...

Well well well

Asked what he felt he had to do to be the No. 1 pick, Garrett said “dominate here and not make any more crazy videos.”

The Browns, who hold the No. 1 pick, probably feel obliged to ask Garrett about the video that surfaced on ESPN.com in which Garrett jokingly asked the Cowboys, his hometown team, to draft him. Garrett said he had a formal interview planned with the Browns Saturday night and planned to offer an apology for that video during the meeting. He also called that video his biggest regret.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/04/myles-garrett-wants-to-be-top-pick-says-hell-apologize-to-browns-for-video/