The only Mahomes thread you need

Estro

This draft is loaded with talent compared to last year. If we can get Mahomes and extra picks I will be very happy. Bills have tons of holes to fill at WR, Secondary, RT, etc

Yep and it is a good draft to find WRs and DBs. RT, no... it is a terrible class of tackles.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like any of these QB's as a top ten pick. I personally would roll with Mahomes over the others if the price was right. The things I watch when looking at QB prospects is how they handle pressure, accuracy, and pocket presence. Throw in a big arm and quick release and Mahomes jumps out for me.

There is a discussion as I said at 13:43 or so on the video where they explain how Mahomes unconventional footwork actually is preferred to get the ball out quickly in key situations. It's not like he is sloppy, he is doing this as an athlete to get the best result which impresses the hell out of me. Compare to shortstop in baseball that needs to get the ball quickly to 2nd for double play.

You see, that is where we differ in our opinions of him...under pressure he leaps off his back foot and heaves it down field. Works better in college than the Pros. But all good, he's not my cup of tea at the price people are suggesting spending on him, but if we got in the 5th (which I doubt he falls that far, even though I could see him easily falling to the 3rd) I would not complain. Not a fan of using any of our first 3 picks on him...if we do, I will root hard for the kid to prove my concerns wrong and not root against him like some of the anti TT peeps root against TT.

For once we are in agreement. That is what I see too. And you are right about his receivers beind wide open so often.

At nearly 33, never having played comptetitively and out of shape I think I am a better defensive back than half of the Big 12.

BAM! Lets celebrate being in agreement and on the same page! Thats not sarcastic, I actually respect you as a poster even though we haven't agreed at times on TT or the general QB situation. I enjoy your rebuttals as you utilize thought, logic and reason in your responses and don't veer don't the path of creating non-factual non sense to steer an agenda. Cheers my friend! :beer:

Edited by Alphadawg7

Go onto youtube and watch tape on the guy.

It looks like on about 60-70% of hs throws, his feet are moving, body isn't squared up, Throwing off back foot or movng backwards. Throws are all arms not use of the legs and coming through the throw. I don't ANY highlights of anything but a primary read throw. Fnd me some tape of the guy standng n the pocket and scanning the field, moving through a route progression.

If you don't see a long term project than you are blind.

Guy is a mechanical nightmare who success was based on the system and throwing to wide open receivers, or WR making great plays on ball that shouldn't be thrown.

I'll pass.

BAM! Lets celebrate being in agreement and on the same page! Thats not sarcastic, I actually respect you as a poster even though we haven't agreed at times on TT or the general QB situation. I enjoy your rebuttals as you utilize thought, logic and reason in your responses and don't veer don't the path of creating non-factual non sense to steer an agenda. Cheers my friend! :beer:

I'm not interested in running battles with any poster. I have both agreed and disagreed with all the regulars on here over the 4 or 5 years I have been here..... If we all agreed all the time this place wouldn't be interesting, would it?

Go onto youtube and watch tape on the guy.

It looks like on about 60-70% of hs throws, his feet are moving, body isn't squared up, Throwing off back foot or movng backwards. Throws are all arms not use of the legs and coming through the throw. I don't ANY highlights of anything but a primary read throw. Fnd me some tape of the guy standng n the pocket and scanning the field, moving through a route progression.

If you don't see a long term project than you are blind.

Guy is a mechanical nightmare who success was based on the system and throwing to wide open receivers, or WR making great plays on ball that shouldn't be thrown.

I'll pass.

You must have watched about 4 youtube clips then...watch the full games and you will see plenty of him standing in the pocket and going away from primary reads. You will also see plenty of him "throwing WRs open" - everyones favorite knock against Tyrod. The kid can straight throw, mechanics be damned. All in on the Mahomes train, CHOOOOO CHOOOOOOO!

You must have watched about 4 youtube clips then...watch the full games and you will see plenty of him standing in the pocket and going away from primary reads. You will also see plenty of him "throwing WRs open" - everyones favorite knock against Tyrod. The kid can straight throw, mechanics be damned. All in on the Mahomes train, CHOOOOO CHOOOOOOO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ8uyqWJ3bg&t=2136s

19:28.

I have said throughout the season I am 50/50 on Tyrod. I am okay with a decision to keep him and I am okay with them deciding to move on.

probably let him go, they are in expansion team rebuild mode, so blowing 25mil is unnecessary.. just move on.

Rex era is over, this is a restart. Go get a prototypical 6'5" white guy QB and try that route... and spin the wheel one more time... as long as you have two guaranteed division/conference losses before the season even starts, they aint' goin' anywhere anytime soon

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

You don't care about a QB mechanics! So how long have you followed NFL football. All the truly great QB have really good mechanics. It leads to accuracy. He may have a strong arm but so does Jay Cutler! All those throwing while moving backwards. How has that worked out for him?

You don't care about a QB mechanics! So how long have you followed NFL football. All the truly great QB have really good mechanics. It leads to accuracy. He may have a strong arm but so does Jay Cutler! All those throwing while moving backwards. How has that worked out for him?

So do you think Jared Goff will be better than Dak Prescott?

Scouting Report on Dak last year:

WEAKNESSES: Work in progress as a passer but has a live arm and good field vision. His footwork is inconsistent and he loses accuracy when his feet are not set.

Tends to predetermine some throws and relies on a lot of back shoulder patterns, something that got him in trouble against Auburn and Alabama.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/revisiting-dak-prescotts-scouting-report-work-in-progress-compares-to-tim-tebow/

Edited by jeffismagic

You shouldn't have to search through clips to try and find ones where he is demonstrating good mechanics finally and making an NFL throw. I have watched 3 different highlight clips of the kid, and the most dominant themes were bad mechanics where he just heaved throws ill advised off his back foot (which doesnt work in the NFL) or it was a short throw where the WR made a big play to score, or was he had guys so wide open that my grandma could hit the pass.

The least of the highlights were big time NFL quality throws. Yes there were plays where the throw would qualify as "throwing WR's open", however, a lot of them again were back foot heaves down field that worked out that tend not to work in the NFL where defenders are bigger, faster, smarter and defenses are more complicated.

I honestly felt like I was watching a Blake Bortles 2016 mix tape of bad mechanics more than I was watching the next good or better franchise QB. There are things you can get away with in college that you just simply can't in the NFL and I see way too much of that in him to feel good about drafting him in the early rounds. Doesn't mean I am right or that he wont succeed, but I have personally yet to see anything that makes feel like he's a must grab for this team. If we had a 4th and grabbed him (which we don't), I would be fine with it. But I would not be comfortable taking what looks like another project with his mechanics in the first 3 rounds.

That being said, if we do, I will root hard for the kid to succeed and proves the doubts wrong.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Can I reserve a seat on the band wagon----I mean train? I'm a caboose kind of guy. :lol:

Agree. Aaron Rodgers mechanics are also bad. Who cares ?