Buffalo mother arrested after homeschooling children

B-Man

More "public" school news.

All Chicago Public School students sent home with letter accusing Gov. Rauner of ‘cheating’ kids

http://wgntv.com/2017/02/07/all-cps-students-sent-home-with-letter-accusing-gov-rauner-of-cheating-kids/

CHICAGO — Intense rhetoric between Chicago democrats and Illinois’ republican governor is nothing new, but some parents are upset it is now being played out in a letter sent home with their kids. Chicago Public Schools officials sent home a letter with all 381,000 students blasting Gov. Bruce Rauner and ignoring any role democrats may have played in the state’s budget woes.

The “Dear Parents” letter begins by stating “Governor Bruce Rauner, just like President Trump, has decided to attack those who need the most help.” Twice the letter accuses Gov. Rauner of “cheating” children. Once it says the governor “stole” from kids. The letter goes on to cite Chicago Public Schools CEO Forrest Claypool’s often repeated claim that the governor broke a promise by blocking Chicago from receiving $215 million for city schools.

One CPS parent who contacted WGN wrote: “This is so inappropriate. How can he send political propaganda home?” The letter, paid for by taxpayers, does not mention democrats who have been in control of the city and state legislature for decades.

This can't possibly be legal, but (you know) democrats

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And then there's the fact that in most instances, if not all, the homeschool teacher has a strong emotional bond with the student and a deep seated stake in the outcome of the process. Chances are that the homeschool teacher isn't focused on working within a contractual framework, using all the alloted sick days, planning personal days off, picketing school board meetings, etc. Since the homeschool teacher is likely to be with the student many more hours than a classroom teacher, there are many more real-world opportunities to turn an ordinary situation into a learning experience.

Home schooling has its place as a real option to traditional classroom learning.

The lack of knowledge and misinformation coming from the resident leftists is remarkable.

First of all, homeschooling does not mean your child is off the grid. You are accountable to the state's requirements and have to submit, typically online, attendance, testing, and projects in each subject. You're literally taking photos and videos of your child's work and uploading them for review and approval.

Next, there are different curriculum from which you can choose, and as long as they are state approved -- and they are -- then you find the curriculum that best fits your child's needs. You literally pay for the curriculum and are supplied with the books, etc. you need. It's not some dumbass parent teaching their child how to count with their fingers, as they would have you believe.

If your child is able to excel in specific subjects, they can test out to move up for that particular subject. That will never happen as a regular function in a public school.

There are countless homeschooling groups developed and run by parents, who put together field trips to museums, science centers, etc. These are activities targeted at individual subjects from which you can choose to participate, and because the homeschooling community is self-motivated, they negotiate trips in groups to save parents money.

There are tutors and teachers who work one-on-one with students in pretty much any area you can imagine, and advanced individual classes available by private schools in areas like engineering, robotics, art, music, theater. etc.

Homeschooling, as an industry, is SO FAR advanced from the ridiculous talking points of people like Exiled and gator that I'm surprised they even bother to opine on the topic. They argue against it for one reason: as leftists, they believe no one should have a choice, and that only the government knows what is best for your child. To dismantle education in America, to leftists, is to say goodbye to billions in federal funding that gets laundered to unions as dues, and then donated to more leftist politicians to put a tighter grip on educational options.

It's just that simple.

More "public" school news.

All Chicago Public School students sent home with letter accusing Gov. Rauner of ‘cheating’ kids

http://wgntv.com/2017/02/07/all-cps-students-sent-home-with-letter-accusing-gov-rauner-of-cheating-kids/

CHICAGO — Intense rhetoric between Chicago democrats and Illinois’ republican governor is nothing new, but some parents are upset it is now being played out in a letter sent home with their kids. Chicago Public Schools officials sent home a letter with all 381,000 students blasting Gov. Bruce Rauner and ignoring any role democrats may have played in the state’s budget woes.

The “Dear Parents” letter begins by stating “Governor Bruce Rauner, just like President Trump, has decided to attack those who need the most help.” Twice the letter accuses Gov. Rauner of “cheating” children. Once it says the governor “stole” from kids. The letter goes on to cite Chicago Public Schools CEO Forrest Claypool’s often repeated claim that the governor broke a promise by blocking Chicago from receiving $215 million for city schools.

One CPS parent who contacted WGN wrote: “This is so inappropriate. How can he send political propaganda home?” The letter, paid for by taxpayers, does not mention democrats who have been in control of the city and state legislature for decades.

This can't possibly be legal, but (you know) democrats

Chicago, a great city in many respects has among the worst of political climates. No Republican even bothers to run for mayor. The public school system has abysmal student results. The city and school budget is a fiscal disaster. The city and schools are run strictly by democrats.

I'm sure the letter that went home didn't explain that the $215 mil was extra money from the state which was offered as part of other fiscal changes needed for pension reform. Of course the dems turned down the deal but are crying that Rauner is "taking away" the money.

The lack of knowledge and misinformation coming from the resident leftists is remarkable.

First of all, homeschooling does not mean your child is off the grid. You are accountable to the state's requirements and have to submit, typically online, attendance, testing, and projects in each subject. You're literally taking photos and videos of your child's work and uploading them for review and approval.

Next, there are different curriculum from which you can choose, and as long as they are state approved -- and they are -- then you find the curriculum that best fits your child's needs. You literally pay for the curriculum and are supplied with the books, etc. you need. It's not some dumbass parent teaching their child how to count with their fingers, as they would have you believe.

If your child is able to excel in specific subjects, they can test out to move up for that particular subject. That will never happen as a regular function in a public school.

There are countless homeschooling groups developed and run by parents, who put together field trips to museums, science centers, etc. These are activities targeted at individual subjects from which you can choose to participate, and because the homeschooling community is self-motivated, they negotiate trips in groups to save parents money.

There are tutors and teachers who work one-on-one with students in pretty much any area you can imagine, and advanced individual classes available by private schools in areas like engineering, robotics, art, music, theater. etc.

Homeschooling, as an industry, is SO FAR advanced from the ridiculous talking points of people like Exiled and gator that I'm surprised they even bother to opine on the topic. They argue against it for one reason: as leftists, they believe no one should have a choice, and that only the government knows what is best for your child. To dismantle education in America, to leftists, is to say goodbye to billions in federal funding that gets laundered to unions as dues, and then donated to more leftist politicians to put a tighter grip on educational options.

It's just that simple.

Good post. I don't know a lot about home schooling myself. I just know it has to be better than an indoctrination center like the public school system sucks kids into.

Chicago, a great city in many respects has among the worst of political climates. No Republican even bothers to run for mayor. The public school system has abysmal student results. The city and school budget is a fiscal disaster. The city and schools are run strictly by democrats.

I'm sure the letter that went home didn't explain that the $215 mil was extra money from the state which was offered as part of other fiscal changes needed for pension reform. Of course the dems turned down the deal but are crying that Rauner is "taking away" the money.

Like what? How you measuring it? Just interested

Good post. I don't know a lot about home schooling myself. I just know it has to be better than an indoctrination center like the public school system sucks kids into.

I fell asleep last night at 4-1 :bag:

I'm already seeing this after six month in CA. My second grader's teacher doesn't want her to get 'too far ahead' in the online math curriculum. Fortunately they can't keep her from reading.

Edited by KD in CA

you're failing on it. And its carrying itself over to other areas which are evident in other threads. You've become much more emotional and the investment emotionally is going to tax you. And most importantly, leave you disappointed and alienated.

Its why I can't respond to your posts with nothing more than jibberish. Its why for the last few months I've mocked you even when not to you. The way you read any of my posts is as unhinged, non concentrated and ridiculous as can be.

Last year it was pretty rough, to the point where a member asked me if everything was OK at the opener that year. I responded that I was having fun acting like you. He figured I had a stroke.

Seriously, uiu will, if you hold this so closely. That needs to also be telling. Why is Reid, pelosi, others not so worked up over this that their health has failed? They don't care.

have you been around long enough to remember fig newtons/dog14020? Its obvious tibs is birddog but with spellijg mistakes and all I'm thinking dog1490210 is also bird/tibs.

Have you seen similarities?

"Do I contradict myself?

Very well then I contradict myself;

(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

Thank you for your concern, but you never have to worry about me feeling disappointed and alienated. FWIW, this is the extent of my foray into social media. No Twitter, no Facebook, etc..

You are way off base. My style has been the same for 15 years. I am just posting more here because there is so much material to morally take the high ground on. AND taking the moral high ground is very much the core of Eric. I have posted through the years with the same passionate style and voice. I will take people to task just as they will take me to task. No worries.

Yes, I am preachy, but not crusading. I will go deep at times. If it is gibberish you read, then it is gibberish you read... No worries. I am getting no more personal than anybody gets personal with me. Get over it. Believe me, it won't wear me out. You simply don't know me well enough. Yet, as a friend, I thank you again for your concern. To reiterate, what you are seeing is a part of Eric that has been very much the cornerstone of my life. I am not trying to change you or anybody else...

I will speak my mind when I feel I may add something to the conversation. I will do so under the guidelines of the ToS and within the realm of each board. You have a few choices to make w/regard to what I may post. 1. Simply ignore me 2. Read and try to understand (I acknowledge that is a very daunting task) what I may post 3. Read and try to understand and engage with what I may post. Your choice.

My choice is clear. I will read and try to understand and engage with what you and others post.

Got it? Simple. No hard feelings. I do like to joke and show humor. That humor can be off color @ times. Don't ever take it personal just as I don't take it personal with what gets tossed at me. And most importantly, don't confuse passionate speech w/getting a stroke.

Peace w/a new and greater understanding.

We contain multitudes!

"Do I contradict myself?

Very well then I contradict myself;

(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

Thank you for your concern, but you never have to worry about me feeling disappointed and alienated. FWIW, this is the extent of my foray into social media. No Twitter, no Facebook, etc..

You are way off base. My style has been the same for 15 years. I am just posting more here because there is so much material to morally take the high ground on. AND taking the moral high ground is very much the core of Eric. I have posted through the years with the same passionate style and voice. I will take people to task just as they will take me to task. No worries.

Yes, I am preachy, but not crusading. I will go deep at times. If it is gibberish you read, then it is gibberish you read... No worries. I am getting no more personal than anybody gets personal with me. Get over it. Believe me, it won't wear me out. You simply don't know me well enough. Yet, as a friend, I thank you again for your concern. To reiterate, what you are seeing is a part of Eric that has been very much the cornerstone of my life. I am not trying to change you or anybody else...

I will speak my mind when I feel I may add something to the conversation. I will do so under the guidelines of the ToS and within the realm of each board. You have a few choices to make w/regard to what I may post. 1. Simply ignore me 2. Read and try to understand (I acknowledge that is a very daunting task) what I may post 3. Read and try to understand and engage with what I may post. Your choice.

My choice is clear. I will read and try to understand and engage with what you and others post.

Got it? Simple. No hard feelings. I do like to joke and show humor. That humor can be off color @ times. Don't ever take it personal just as I don't take it personal with what gets tossed at me. And most importantly, don't confuse passionate speech w/getting a stroke.

Peace w/a new and greater understanding.

We contain multitudes!

Nice.

I'm already seeing this after six month in CA. My second grader's teacher doesn't want her to get 'too far ahead' in the online math curriculum. Fortunately they can't keep her from reading.

I know a fourth-grader who came to the early conclusion that Common Core is bull ****, and is forging ahead on algebra on her own. When I pointed out that teachers grade on "process" more than getting the right answer, she told me that she only does things they way the teacher wants on tests, to get good grades.

So basically, the only thing school's teaching her is how to game the system.

I know a fourth-grader who came to the early conclusion that Common Core is bull ****, and is forging ahead on algebra on her own. When I pointed out that teachers grade on "process" more than getting the right answer, she told me that she only does things they way the teacher wants on tests, to get good grades.

So basically, the only thing school's teaching her is how to game the system.

That's nothing new. When I was in school, even if you could do the math in your head, you had to show your work to actually get the grade.

Now granted, that actually had some merit, but if you were a kid who didn't need to write out 10 steps because you could do 4 at a time in your head, it was annoying.

Edited by FireChan

Like what? How you measuring it? Just interested

I fell asleep last night at 4-1 :bag:

Never do that when the Sharks are playing the Sabres. Some weird deal with that team we can't beat them. NOT including last night the last ten previous.

A 2016/02/26 Buffalo Sabres 3 - San Jose Sharks 1 W

H 2015/11/14 Buffalo Sabres 1 - San Jose Sharks 2 (OT) L

H 2014/11/18 Buffalo Sabres 4 - San Jose Sharks 1 W

A 2014/10/25 Buffalo Sabres 2 - San Jose Sharks 1 W

H 2014/02/28 Buffalo Sabres 4 - San Jose Sharks 2 W

A 2013/11/05 Buffalo Sabres 5 - San Jose Sharks 4 (SO) W

A 2012/03/01 Buffalo Sabres 1 - San Jose Sharks 0 W

A 2011/01/06 Buffalo Sabres 3 - San Jose Sharks 0 W

H 2010/12/09 Buffalo Sabres 6 - San Jose Sharks 3 W

H 2010/02/13 Buffalo Sabres 3 - San Jose Sharks 1 W

Never do that when the Sharks are playing the Sabres. Some weird deal with that team we can't beat them. NOT including last night the last ten previous.

A 2016/02/26 Buffalo Sabres 3 - San Jose Sharks 1 W

H 2015/11/14 Buffalo Sabres 1 - San Jose Sharks 2 (OT) L

H 2014/11/18 Buffalo Sabres 4 - San Jose Sharks 1 W

A 2014/10/25 Buffalo Sabres 2 - San Jose Sharks 1 W

H 2014/02/28 Buffalo Sabres 4 - San Jose Sharks 2 W

A 2013/11/05 Buffalo Sabres 5 - San Jose Sharks 4 (SO) W

A 2012/03/01 Buffalo Sabres 1 - San Jose Sharks 0 W

A 2011/01/06 Buffalo Sabres 3 - San Jose Sharks 0 W

H 2010/12/09 Buffalo Sabres 6 - San Jose Sharks 3 W

H 2010/02/13 Buffalo Sabres 3 - San Jose Sharks 1 W

Last night was so remarkable, though, that I still can't decide if it was an epic comeback or an epic collapse. Probably both.

Then with Kane pulling a Frerotte on the game-winner...

Last night was so remarkable, though, that I still can't decide if it was an epic comeback or an epic collapse.

Dude we're talking the Sharks and Sabres. No doubt about it, it was the latter.

The only reason I had any idea the local team was in Buffalo was because I saw the score on the news this morning. My wife said this morning "hey! The Sabres!!" :rolleyes: You know, anti-sports guy snobbery and all.