Changing For Better or Worse ??

T master

Over the years i have found my fandom isn't nearly as fanatical as it once was along with a lot of other things ! Some will remember this phrase which will tell you all how long i've been a Bills fan .

"Miami's got the oranges but we got the Juice"

With that A lot of the changes that Goodell, owners, & players have made has in some ways seemed to take some of the greatness away from the game we all love & it continues to invade the Super Bowl.

It use to be that every part of the Super Bowl was exciting, every one was on the edge of their seats not only to watch the games but to watch the advertisements that would be on in the game . During commercial breaks you wouldn't want to get up so not to miss a great commercial !

I'm sure each of us can remember one certain commercial from the SB that you love !!

Well now with all the hype of the SB, the sponsors or the NFL who ever is in charge of playing the commercials are ruining that as well !

I was watching some SB hype on the NFL network or ESPN last night & now they are showing what commercials will be ran during the game :huh: ?? I guess as a tease but it ruins it for me !!

One of the things that was intriguing about those adds were that you waited with anticipation to see how much thought went into the making of those adds .

It was like a Micheal Jackson concert i saw once years back, he kept you on the edge of your seat waiting & anticipating what he was going to do next ! That was part of the intrigue of the SB along with the game there were the commercials !!

Who ever now has taken that SB experience completely out of the game by showing them before the game !! Talk about deflate gate !!

I will say I have not truly been into a SB since our Bills have been out of them & maybe that has some to do with why my enthusiasm has been much less than it use to be but giving away these small pieces or jewels of the show before it airs is just one more thing that has been taken away from the over all experience of the SB !!

I don't know if any of you have these same thoughts about it (but i'm sure as Bills fans you will let me know one way or the other) but why do they always try to improve perfection !!

5 or so years ago the game was at it's peak more viewers than ever, more fans than ever, & they are trying to improve perfection !!

They are moving games to other countries, taking games away from the loyal fan base, along with outrageous player behavior (see Richard Sherman) contracts (see Dareus/Gilmore & what they think they are worth) it;s all part of it's ratings going down !!

Now chiseling away a little more of the anticipation of the SB by giving away these adds before the game is played just takes that much more away from us as fans which maybe is part of my growing lack of enthusiasm for the NFL .

I know that things have to change, but certain changes aren't always good for the game !!

Could that be part of why viewership is down this year ?? Along with the prima donna athletes such as Pac Man Jones, Richard Sherman, & Cam ??

Thank god for players like Kyle Williams :thumbsup: !! Go Bills !!

Next thing you know there will be 20 games a year, London, Mexico, Canada & other countries will have NFL teams & they will still be trying to figure out why the ratings aren't what they use to be !!!

Edited by T master

That is an interesting take on the Super Bowl and the NFL in general T Master. I am excited to watch the actual game, and the commercials. But most of the commercials are not nearly as entertaining as they were years ago. The younger generation has no sense of humor compared to us middle age folks who grew up in the 70's and 80's. Slap stick commercials are long gone.

As for the football game. I like watching the game, but all the pre game talk for two weeks is garbage and unnecessary. If you don't know what's going on after 5 months of an NFL football season, than you need to awake from the dead. I like how College Football does their thing. Its all football. The National Championship is all about the matchup and the game itself. Nothing more nothing less. Overall the college game is much more entertaining.

But lets hope for another excellent Super Bowl like two years ago.

That is an interesting take on the Super Bowl and the NFL in general T Master. I am excited to watch the actual game, and the commercials. But most of the commercials are not nearly as entertaining as they were years ago. The younger generation has no sense of humor compared to us middle age folks who grew up in the 70's and 80's. Slap stick commercials are long gone.

As for the football game. I like watching the game, but all the pre game talk for two weeks is garbage and unnecessary. If you don't know what's going on after 5 months of an NFL football season, than you need to awake from the dead. I like how College Football does their thing. Its all football. The National Championship is all about the matchup and the game itself. Nothing more nothing less. Overall the college game is much more entertaining.

But lets hope for another excellent Super Bowl like two years ago.

I think you can safely say that for most if not all major sports.

What I don't like are Super Bowl watch parties. The inane chatter, the laughter at stupid commercials......it's why I watch with one other person, and for the GAME.

This is my opinion only.

I am still undecided as to where I will watch the Bills when they get back. Could be locked in a room alone, could drive back to Buffalo.....but I know for certain that I will NOT be hosting a SB party.

What I don't like are Super Bowl watch parties. The inane chatter, the laughter at stupid commercials......it's why I watch with one other person, and for the GAME.

This is my opinion only.

I am still undecided as to where I will watch the Bills when they get back. Could be locked in a room alone, could drive back to Buffalo.....but I know for certain that I will NOT be hosting a SB party.

Dude, you're like a Superbowl NAZI ! :lol:

http://youtu.be/TLfmEZYdtrY

Edited by PolishDave

Over the years i have found my fandom isn't nearly as fanatical as it once was along with a lot of other things ! Some will remember this phrase which will tell you all how long i've been a Bills fan .

"Miami's got the oranges but we got the Juice"

With that A lot of the changes that Goodell, owners, & players have made has in some ways seemed to take some of the greatness away from the game we all love & it continues to invade the Super Bowl.

It use to be that every part of the Super Bowl was exciting, every one was on the edge of their seats not only to watch the games but to watch the advertisements that would be on in the game . During commercial breaks you wouldn't want to get up so not to miss a great commercial !

I'm sure each of us can remember one certain commercial from the SB that you love !!

Well now with all the hype of the SB, the sponsors or the NFL who ever is in charge of playing the commercials are ruining that as well !

I was watching some SB hype on the NFL network or ESPN last night & now they are showing what commercials will be ran during the game :huh: ?? I guess as a tease but it ruins it for me !!

One of the things that was intriguing about those adds were that you waited with anticipation to see how much thought went into the making of those adds .

It was like a Micheal Jackson concert i saw once years back, he kept you on the edge of your seat waiting & anticipating what he was going to do next ! That was part of the intrigue of the SB along with the game there were the commercials !!

Who ever now has taken that SB experience completely out of the game by showing them before the game !! Talk about deflate gate !!

I will say I have not truly been into a SB since our Bills have been out of them & maybe that has some to do with why my enthusiasm has been much less than it use to be but giving away these small pieces or jewels of the show before it airs is just one more thing that has been taken away from the over all experience of the SB !!

I don't know if any of you have these same thoughts about it (but i'm sure as Bills fans you will let me know one way or the other) but why do they always try to improve perfection !!

5 or so years ago the game was at it's peak more viewers than ever, more fans than ever, & they are trying to improve perfection !!

They are moving games to other countries, taking games away from the loyal fan base, along with outrageous player behavior (see Richard Sherman) contracts (see Dareus/Gilmore & what they think they are worth) it;s all part of it's ratings going down !!

Now chiseling away a little more of the anticipation of the SB by giving away these adds before the game is played just takes that much more away from us as fans which maybe is part of my growing lack of enthusiasm for the NFL .

I know that things have to change, but certain changes aren't always good for the game !!

Could that be part of why viewership is down this year ?? Along with the prima donna athletes such as Pac Man Jones, Richard Sherman, & Cam ??

Thank god for players like Kyle Williams :thumbsup: !! Go Bills !!

Next thing you know there will be 20 games a year, London, Mexico, Canada & other countries will have NFL teams & they will still be trying to figure out why the ratings aren't what they use to be !!!

Well said. I believe that teams in Mexico and/or London will be the NFL's "jump the shark" moment. Nothing about it makes any sense aside from the economic benefit to the league. That will probably be reason enough for the league to do it, but it would be problematic on most other fronts. The NFL does a very poor job of judging popular opinion. This will be there undoing imo. Globalization isn't exactly popular right now, and putting teams oversees isn't going to thrill most logical people.

I am with you T. I still love watching the Bills (have only missed 1 game since the 1980 season), but in general, my love of the NFL is wavering...I would be thrilled as hell if the Bills ever won a Super Bowl, but honestly, I think it would have resonated with me more if it had been one of those early 90's Bills teams that won a Super Bowl than the 2023 Bills...that may say as much about me getting older (we always remember things from our youth as the "best"), or the NFL product, or just sports in general. I know the athletes playing the games now are many times more athletic and talented than the guys I watched in my youth, but I am not always sure the games are better. Give me a little defense, and a nice 21-17 kinda game, and I am happy...

The only sports team I have ever been a die-hard fan of, that has won a championship, is the Boston Celtics (sorry). Their title drives in the 80's (Bird era) are some of my very fondest sports fan memories...it was a big freaking deal. When I had given up hope on any of my teams (Bills, Sabres, Celtics) ever winning anything again, out of nowhere, the Celtics won a title in 2008. I was so stoked...it felt like old times, being glued to the tv set every other night, watching them battle through the playoffs, and then comeback in game 7 to steal a title from the hated Lakers...I was really excited...but you know what? Perhaps because we are just so over-saturated with sports that they mean less and less, within 24 hours, the sports media was already over the Celtics championship, and all they talked about was "what went wrong for the Lakers?" "What do the Lakers have to add, to give Koby a chance at a another ring?" "Does LeBron take the next step in 2009?" It was almost as if the Celtics hadn't won another NBA championship just a day or two earlier....it was a pretty joyless experience, in a lot of ways.

The media, if you pay too much attention to it, will just suck the joy out of everything...as I get older, I listen and watch a lot less than I used to. I still enjoy the actual games, but the over-hype of everything is just a turn off..so I literally turn it off.

A lot of things ruin the NFL:

The amount of commercials

The hype is over the top

The players themselves and their self importance

The injuries. They so define your season. Other 3 sports, the guys you start with are for the most part the guys you have all here. Not NFL

A lot of things ruin the NFL:

The amount of commercials

The hype is over the top

The players themselves and their self importance

The injuries. They so define your season. Other 3 sports, the guys you start with are for the most part the guys you have all here. Not NFL

The hype is my number one problem with the sport. Growing up in the 90's I remember the NFL getting the perfect amount of hype. It was enough, but not too much. Now everyone claims to be a football fan. All forms of entertainment go through a phase where they reach peak popularity just before falling apart. I often wonder if this is the stage the current NFL is in now.

The one thing I don't agree that is ruining the game would be injuries. I'd love to see less injuries, and it does seem like there are more than ever before. However,I don't believe they ruin the quality of the game. The great teams are consistently great and overcome injuries. Look how the Steelers have been a constant contender for years even with Big Ben's injury troubles. The Pats are also somehow in there seventh Super Bowl in the last 17 years. The is the picture of consistently. I think this proves that injuries haven't gotten to the point where they make every season a random crapshoot.

Too much media hype now! I HATE the halftime shows. Who cares what Lady Goo Goo has planned. This is about the game of football, not self-promoting "stars".

The commercials used to be fun. We even had a halftime "squares" to guess what commercials would come on next.

It's all just too much for me. No more Super Bowl parties - just watch at home & get ready for work on Monday....

They've started these commercial sneak peeks/previews for several years now. I hate it too. Used to be fun waiting to see who had the funniest commercial.

As for when the Bills are back in it, I'll either find a way to make it to the game or I'll go to Buffalo and see the game there.

I don't blame the NFL. I don't blame anybody per se. I blame money and ego.

It used to be that players played for the love of the game more than anything else. Once upon a time NFL players had to get off-season jobs just to pay the bills. But they loved the sport.

Nowadays, the financial part of the game has taken over. Today many players play hard, not for the love of the game, not for the fans or their teammates, but because they're looking to cash in when they become free agents.

Running backs run out of bounds to preserve their careers. Players don't want to play in the Pro Bowl for fear of an injury that could derail their career. And so on. Players used to be warriors. Now they're young businessmen in sports attire making business decisions.

And then there's all the taunting, chest pounding, and braggadocio. Sportsmanship is in decline, not just in football but in all sports. It's become more about 'me' than 'we.'

For me the NFL has certainly lost some of it's appeal. It really comes down to the uneven application of the rules, and I'm not talking just about the Bills getting gipped on calls. It does seem to me that certain teams seem to get the benefit of these calls much more than others. Like if we hit the Steelers or Patriots kicker the way Sherman hit Carpenter. Teams like the Bengals and Panthers routinely miss out on these types of calls. For me it really damages the competitiveness of the league and makes the whole thing a lot less interesting.

I am with you T. I still love watching the Bills (have only missed 1 game since the 1980 season), but in general, my love of the NFL is wavering...I would be thrilled as hell if the Bills ever won a Super Bowl, but honestly, I think it would have resonated with me more if it had been one of those early 90's Bills teams that won a Super Bowl than the 2023 Bills...that may say as much about me getting older (we always remember things from our youth as the "best"), or the NFL product, or just sports in general. I know the athletes playing the games now are many times more athletic and talented than the guys I watched in my youth, but I am not always sure the games are better. Give me a little defense, and a nice 21-17 kinda game, and I am happy...

The only sports team I have ever been a die-hard fan of, that has won a championship, is the Boston Celtics (sorry). Their title drives in the 80's (Bird era) are some of my very fondest sports fan memories...it was a big freaking deal. When I had given up hope on any of my teams (Bills, Sabres, Celtics) ever winning anything again, out of nowhere, the Celtics won a title in 2008. I was so stoked...it felt like old times, being glued to the tv set every other night, watching them battle through the playoffs, and then comeback in game 7 to steal a title from the hated Lakers...I was really excited...but you know what? Perhaps because we are just so over-saturated with sports that they mean less and less, within 24 hours, the sports media was already over the Celtics championship, and all they talked about was "what went wrong for the Lakers?" "What do the Lakers have to add, to give Koby a chance at a another ring?" "Does LeBron take the next step in 2009?" It was almost as if the Celtics hadn't won another NBA championship just a day or two earlier....it was a pretty joyless experience, in a lot of ways.

The media, if you pay too much attention to it, will just suck the joy out of everything...as I get older, I listen and watch a lot less than I used to. I still enjoy the actual games, but the over-hype of everything is just a turn off..so I literally turn it off.

Which game did you miss since 1980? I have not missed a game since the last game of the 1994 season when we were eliminated from the playoffs. Also missed the Bears game mid season that year when I got married in Jamaica, and could not get a feed for the game. I am sure I could in 2017 though. Gotta love the NFL Sunday Ticket.

i wouldn't worry about it. smart money's on us all being alone in our coffins next time the bills get there.