Bills interested in Romo!

KGun12TD

You are misreading the situation here GunnerBill. This devotion to Taylor does not exist. It looks like it because so many have to deal with ridiculous nonsense by a few of the anti TT crowd who literally manipulate information, make up stuff, and simply state false things to do anything to get people behind the idea of cutting Taylor all together. They simply post passing yard rankings and completely ignore the production with his legs, the impact he has on the run game, and the facts that we were one of the highest scoring teams in the league with him under center. They do everything in their power to devalue any production, scoring, etc that Taylor achieved. Its these stupid posts that bring out the people defending against that non sense.

The vast majority, including myself, feel that Taylor has holes and areas he needs to improve on and I havent seen anyone speak of Taylor as if he's irreplaceable. But, we also know that our defense was a far bigger problem and that we can compete this year with even a modest improvement to the D. We also recognize that Taylor has had to deal with his best playmakers frequently being injured, terrible RT performances, 2 OC's (really 3 going back to Balt) in 2 seasons here, and dealt with a some injuries on himself. And he still has less than 2 full seasons of starts under his belt. So there is still reason to believe he can improve in some of his weaker areas moving forward as well.

With a better coaching staff suited for the personnel on the D, the return of Shaq and Rags to start the season, Dareus here the full year, and what ever additions we make in FA/Draft in the secondary...its easy to expect a reasonable improvement from the D, if not a significant one. At QB however, there is no easy path to a better option right now over TT. No one is opposed to finding one, but the reality is that they don't grow on trees and good QB's are not typically available.

You see, the biggest difference here is the anti TT crowd (which is really only the same few boasters) have made ridiculous absolute declarations about him, labeled him the biggest problem, and will change any story to serve that agenda at all times. While the rest of us look at him logically and realize we could do a LOT worse than TT, there isn't a clear better QB to replace him with, and that this draft is not an ideal year to cut a guy like TT and go all in on a questionable prospect.

Great post! :thumbsup:

You're absolutely right.

Truth is that there are a handful of posters who jump in on threads and try to get everyone's jack up rather than trying to have a real conversation. That's all it really is. Changes the overall heat level of the board by a notch.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills took 2 QB's in the first round in Ben, Eli and Rivers' CAREERS.

Criminal. Absolutely criminal.

The Bills have never taken a QB with their originally slotted first pick in the first round of any draft.

To me that sums up why the Bills have such a sad history. 57 years in and never ALL-IN.......the next shall be the first. :doh:

The level of devotion to Tyrod by some here is mindblowing to me. Any attempt to enter into discourse about any alternative is set up on viciously.

I like Tyrod. I think he is the best QB we have had since that one good year of Bledsoe.... but come on people. He has shown nothing to suggest he should be beyond questioning.

Why do some people get so aggressively defensive at the mere thought the Bills might move on?

As Alpha says, it's not about Tyrod it is about the lack of reasonable alternatives.

Devotion would be anticipating a broken Tony Romo to return to his form of 3 seasons ago.

Let me get this straight ... people are advocating us spending draft picks on a guy who is near the end of his career, constantly injured, and with a contract that is very, very expensive?

Yeah, no. We shouldn't waste draft picks on a guy who has a 3-4 year shelf life, and will likely be injured for more than a 1/3 of his games given his career history.

You are misreading the situation here GunnerBill. This devotion to Taylor does not exist. It looks like it because so many have to deal with ridiculous nonsense by a few of the anti TT crowd who literally manipulate information, make up stuff, and simply state false things to do anything to get people behind the idea of cutting Taylor all together. They simply post passing yard rankings and completely ignore the production with his legs, the impact he has on the run game, and the facts that we were one of the highest scoring teams in the league with him under center. They do everything in their power to devalue any production, scoring, etc that Taylor achieved. Its these stupid posts that bring out the people defending against that non sense.

The vast majority, including myself, feel that Taylor has holes and areas he needs to improve on and I havent seen anyone speak of Taylor as if he's irreplaceable. But, we also know that our defense was a far bigger problem and that we can compete this year with even a modest improvement to the D. We also recognize that Taylor has had to deal with his best playmakers frequently being injured, terrible RT performances, 2 OC's (really 3 going back to Balt) in 2 seasons here, and dealt with a some injuries on himself. And he still has less than 2 full seasons of starts under his belt. So there is still reason to believe he can improve in some of his weaker areas moving forward as well.

With a better coaching staff suited for the personnel on the D, the return of Shaq and Rags to start the season, Dareus here the full year, and what ever additions we make in FA/Draft in the secondary...its easy to expect a reasonable improvement from the D, if not a significant one. At QB however, there is no easy path to a better option right now over TT. No one is opposed to finding one, but the reality is that they don't grow on trees and good QB's are not typically available.

You see, the biggest difference here is the anti TT crowd (which is really only the same few boasters) have made ridiculous absolute declarations about him, labeled him the biggest problem, and will change any story to serve that agenda at all times. While the rest of us look at him logically and realize we could do a LOT worse than TT, there isn't a clear better QB to replace him with, and that this draft is not an ideal year to cut a guy like TT and go all in on a questionable prospect.

Post of the year and last year also.

Great post! :thumbsup:

You're absolutely right.

Truth is that there are a handful of posters who jump in on threads and try to get everyone's jack up rather than trying to have a real conversation. That's all it really is. Changes the overall heat level of the board by a notch.

Thank you and yes, exactly what you said.

Post of the year and last year also.

The Bills have never taken a QB with their originally slotted first pick in the first round of any draft.

To me that sums up why the Bills have such a sad history. 57 years in and never ALL-IN.......the next shall be the first. :doh:

At first blush this may appear to be the case, but a deeper look reveals it is not quite that simple . Assuming one thinks that Joe Ferguson was at least a good quality starter ( the Bills made a few playoff appearances with Ferguson under center) that would bring us to the '83 draft. We all know what happened there with Kelly going to the USFL , but it's easy to explain the Bills not using their OG 1st rounder there . The Bills possessed the 12th and 14th pick and were assured of getting either Kelly or Marino with the 14th pick, so it's difficult to fault the strategy. Post Kelly, even if the team hadn't traded first rounders for Rob Johnson and Drew Bledsoe, there were no first round QBs of consequence that the Bills missed out. In reality the Bills cost themselves only one legitimate starting QB by not utilizing their OG 1st rounder - but it is a doozy. A franchise changing HOF quality player the team could have drafted but for an ill- advised trade up in 2004 ( for eventual flop JP Losman). That's right, the Bills could have drafted Aaron Rodgers with their originally slotted first rounder in 2005 that went to Dallas in the Losman deal. The next best argument could be made for using their 2001 round one selection for Drew Brees , who was an early second round pick. The Bills were known to like Brees , and should have been " all in " on him but likely could have traded down and still selected Brees in late round one with a pick that wasn't their OG slot. Not exactly in the criteria here , but a big misstep by the team nonetheless. The Bills could have had several good to great quality QBs that went in later rounds and deserve plenty of criticism for that. They simply haven't taken enough shots at QBs to get a direct hit. But narrowing it down to originally slotted firsts doesn't yield a lot of fruit. One prize QB in over twenty five years gambled away by one GM. That's about it.

At first blush this may appear to be the case, but a deeper look reveals it is not quite that simple . Assuming one thinks that Joe Ferguson was at least a good quality starter ( the Bills made a few playoff appearances with Ferguson under center) that would bring us to the '83 draft. We all know what happened there with Kelly going to the USFL , but it's easy to explain the Bills not using their OG 1st rounder there . The Bills possessed the 12th and 14th pick and were assured of getting either Kelly or Marino with the 14th pick, so it's difficult to fault the strategy. Post Kelly, even if the team hadn't traded first rounders for Rob Johnson and Drew Bledsoe, there were no first round QBs of consequence that the Bills missed out. In reality the Bills cost themselves only one legitimate starting QB by not utilizing their OG 1st rounder - but it is a doozy. A franchise changing HOF quality player the team could have drafted but for an ill- advised trade up in 2004 ( for eventual flop JP Losman). That's right, the Bills could have drafted Aaron Rodgers with their originally slotted first rounder in 2005 that went to Dallas in the Losman deal. The next best argument could be made for using their 2001 round one selection for Drew Brees , who was an early second round pick. The Bills were known to like Brees , and should have been " all in " on him but likely could have traded down and still selected Brees in late round one with a pick that wasn't their OG slot. Not exactly in the criteria here , but a big misstep by the team nonetheless. The Bills could have had several good to great quality QBs that went in later rounds and deserve plenty of criticism for that. They simply haven't taken enough shots at QBs to get a direct hit. But narrowing it down to originally slotted firsts doesn't yield a lot of fruit. One prize QB in over twenty five years gambled away by one GM. That's about it.

I'm aware of all those circumstances.

But IT IS as I said.

They were fine with taking Tony Hunter first....... because they were open to not getting Jim Kelly.

I trust Norm Pollom's hindsight about Marino being choice #2 as far as I could throw that guy.......based on the reactions of the rest of the teams in the league to the Marino drug allegations........it was just as likely to be Tony Eason if Kelly was off the board. :lol:

Trading for Rob Johnson and Bledsoe or trading back into the first round for Losman were typical attempts to short cut the process of finding a franchise QB.

Not inherently wrong but not all-in on a college prospect.

I've said many times........if the Bills had just stood pat and drafted a QB in round 1 every year during this drought they would have gotten Brees or Rodgers or Flacco......guys who lead teams to SB wins.

Bottom line is that they've made EXPONENTIALLY more effort on draft day to address areas like RB and DB positions......than QB.

They've exercised a couple dozen original first round picks on those positions and not one on a QB! :lol:

By definition.....NOT all-in on the games most important position on draft day.

Edited by #BADOL

I hope the Bills do this so I can take the entire season off of NFL football.

You got one part right :thumbsup:

no joke, i'm still gonna go to atlanta, carolina nd the season opener but there is no way i'll honestly care and be there for than the atmosphere and friends.

But IT IS as I said.

They were fine with taking Tony Hunter first....... because they were open to not getting Jim Kelly.

I trust Norm Pollom's hindsight about Marino being choice #2 as far as I could throw that guy.......based on the reactions of the rest of the teams in the league to the Marino drug allegations........it was just as likely to be Tony Eason if Kelly was off the board. :lol:

Trading for Rob Johnson and Bledsoe or trading back into the first round for Losman were typical attempts to short cut the process of finding a franchise QB.

I've said many times........if the Bills had just stood pat and drafted a QB in round 1 every year during this drought they would have gotten Brees or Rodgers or Flacco......guys who lead teams to SB wins.

Bottom line is that they've made EXPONENTIALLY more effort on draft day to address areas like RB and DB positions......than QB.

They've exercised a couple dozen original first round picks on those positions and not one on a QB! :lol:

My point is that the Bills simply haven't spent enough draft picks on QBs during the drought . They could have had a QB had they just drafted a QB in the first three rounds, original first round slot or not. The first round original slot cost them Rodgers. Bree's could have been gotten for less than their OG slot in 2001. It's correct that they could have had Flacco as well so I would add him to that. No indication the Bills liked Eason at all, and certainly not more than Marino. The allegations about Marino were known to be unfounded before the '83 draft anyway. It's conjecture to say the Bills likely would have picked Eason and at best revisionist history. The Bills have largely ignored the QB position with high picks, their OG first rounder notwithstanding . I'm not sure how successful the Bills would have been with Flacco as they haven't had a defense the quality of the Ravens with Reed, Lewis Ngata et al. It's still a pick they should have made and a far better one than McKelvin. If anything it is a worse indictment of their drafting that a playoff caliber QB could have been had with less than their slotted 1st round pick. Going forward the Bills must continuously address the QB position in the first several rounds at least ( if their is no worthy 1st round prospect) if the drought is to end and a n( hopefully) extended period of success ushered in .

But IT IS as I said.

Have to agree. The Bills treat the their QB picks like they are "settling" for a prospect instead of they love a prospect.

I wonder if they are just gun-shy? Afraid of the PR if they attempt to go all-in to get a guy? Too much self-preservation mode?

You have to take a hard-look at the thought process of Whaley drafting EJ and the subsequent moves after. He didn't like him enough to take him at 8 (red flag), and was willing to lose him until pick 16 (red flag). But then he has a mediocre rookie year, and suddenly Whaley is all about EJ and wheeling and dealing to double down on him.

Is it about selling tickets?

Edited by FireChan

Have to agree. The Bills treat the their QB picks like they are "settling" for a prospect instead of they love a prospect.

I wonder if they are just gun-shy? Afraid of the PR if they attempt to go all-in to get a guy? Too much self-preservation mode?

You have to take a hard-look at the thought process of Whaley drafting EJ and the subsequent moves after. He didn't like him enough to take him at 8 (red flag), and was willing to lose him until pick 16 (red flag). But then he has a mediocre rookie year, and suddenly Whaley is all about EJ and wheeling and dealing to double down on him.

Is it about selling tickets?

I think GM's and coaches know they only have 2-3 year window to turn around bad teams so they make selfish decisions wrt personnel at the expense of the long term benefit of the franchise.

Good QB's play 15 years.

Good draft picks at other positions might be 50% to even be with the team after their first contract is up.

If EJ and Gilmore leave this offseason......the Bills will have only 3 players selected using their original first round picks left on the roster. :lol: ......Dareus, Sammy and...ahem....Shaq :rolleyes: .

I think GM's and coaches know they only have 2-3 year window to turn around bad teams so they make selfish decisions wrt personnel at the expense of the long term benefit of the franchise.

Good QB's play 15 years.

Good draft picks at other positions might be 50% to even be with the team after their first contract is up.

If EJ and Gilmore leave this offseason......the Bills will have only 3 players selected using their original first round picks left on the roster. :lol: ......Dareus, Sammy and...ahem....Shaq :rolleyes: .

Sammy wasn't our original first, but yep.

Please no retreads .... let's look at Bledsoe, Orton (give him credit though), Fitzpatrick (liked his toughness). All that is .. is missing the playoffs ... the reality is outside Manning last year asthe outlier with the Broncos, recent SB history shows whether it's Brady(enough all ready), Big Ben(2), Wilson, Flacco, Eli (2), Rodgers, Manning (colts) ... FA pick ups based on odds typically don't bring Super Bowls .. all due respect to Jim Plunkett & Trent Dilfer,

Please no retreads .... let's look at Bledsoe, Orton (give him credit though), Fitzpatrick (liked his toughness). All that is .. is missing the playoffs ... the reality is outside Manning last year asthe outlier with the Broncos, recent SB history shows whether it's Brady(enough all ready), Big Ben(2), Wilson, Flacco, Eli (2), Rodgers, Manning (colts) ... FA pick ups based on odds typically don't bring Super Bowls .. all due respect to Jim Plunkett & Trent Dilfer,

Romo is better than all of those guys.

I don't think Denver is upset for being in retread Peyton.

Edited by FireChan