Bills interested in Romo!

KGun12TD

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Romo is a smokescreen. We're drafting Watson at 10.

Heard Arizona is really high on Watson n they pick b4 us he might not be there

Isn't that what you expected last year? How'd it go?

Cant blame defense on tyrod though

Only way I see the Bills going after Romo is if McDermott tells Whaley - you gotta get me this guy. And I can't see a scenario where McDermott does that. I would think McDermott would prefer a QB he can start building his system around. Even if it isn't Tyrod, I still highly doubt it is going to be Romo.

Thats a great point. McDermy is gonna build his team strategically. Would you sign a brittle QB just to bring the playoff starved fans a playoff birth if your contract will go at least 3 seasons

Edited by Marty McFly

Maybe we could throw Tommy Boy in there?

Rex D is gonna kill it in 2016! Rob was the missing piece!

Except for the pesky fact that I never said that at all, and I can't remember anyone being excited about Rob on here either.

But I do find it interesting you always say how bad Rex and Rob's defense was until someone points out that with a better defensive performance we would have made the playoffs with Taylor where you then flip your argument and say it wasnt our D's fault and was all Taylors.

Tyrod is top 20 and certainly the best we have, but he still feels like the QB of a team that's 8-8 with wild card hopes as far as you could dream. Healthy Romo could gives us thoughts beyond that. If it doesn't work out and he crashes after 5 games give me a top 5 pick to start the next year with Cardale or a Rookie getting tons of reps in 2017.

To me, it's not Tyrod that gives me that feeling. It's the defense that keeps sh*tting the bed that gives me that feeling.

Got it. Makes sense and appreciate the follow up

Though in today's NFL you could eat his hit this year and shove someone else's into next year with a restructure and still capture the draft pick.

Not saying that it's impossible, just tend to think that walking away makes more sense for both of them. I am assuming Romo will only bring back a mid-late round pick.

Romo makes some sense as potentially a stop gap without the commitment that you would have to make to TT. You can trade TT in the 1st couple days of the league year. You will have some options. In this scenario you would acquire a 2nd (for example) and have Romo without the long-term commitment. I just cant see him getting traded so he would have to "pick us" once released. At his age, Houston and Denver would be at the top of my list (and I don't think Houston can afford him).

My response data here was inaccurate. Read lower in this thread for an explanation.

Edited by PolishDave

Heard Arizona is really high on Watson n they pick b4 us he might not be there

Cant blame defense on tyrod though

Thats a great point. McDermy is gonna build his team strategically. Would you sign a brittle QB just to bring the playoff starved fans a playoff birth if your contract will go at least 3 seasons

Watson committing to throwing at the combine will determine this. If he can have a strong showing and alleviate concerns around his ability to pass at the next level, he can easily move into the top 5 of this draft. At the same time, he is the type of prospect that can fall out of the first all together if he doesn't shine at the combine and prove those concerns wrong. And that is really true for all 3 of the guys at the top of the QB class this year. None of them are strong enough to say they are a lock in the top 10, and the opinions vary greatly on who the better prospect is right now. Doesn't mean none of them would go in the top 10, just means there is no clear cut top prospect prior to the combine and hard to tell who will be the first one off the board and where.

According to the NFL, options on 2016 contracts must be exercised before 4PM March 9th. New league year starts after that.

So if Tyrod is going to be traded, the Bills will need to pick up the option or renegotiate a new contract before being able to trade him.

And that means the Bills would eat $18.3 million in dead cap to trade him at any point during the 2017 contract year according to this site.

If they trade him before payment it's not their cap hit to account for it is the team assuming the contract from all I know. Though options im hazier on. Edited by NoSaint

If they trade him before payment it's not their cap hit to account for it is the team assuming the contract from all I know. Though options im hazier on.

You have officially confused me. And I didn't need much help getting confused. :w00t:

According to everything I have read today, which has been somewhat voluminous, the NFL forces options to be exercised before the tick of the new contract year. If they aren't exercised - then they are expired. Meaning Tyrod = free agent at that moment in time.

As far as the dead cap money, I have yet to read anything about what you are suggesting in regards to payment. Everything I have read says - teams cannot trade away any of the signing bonus money. They have to eat it all. They can trade salary, but not bonus money which is $3-4 million per year prorated over Tyrod's 5 year contract extension which equates to the $18.3 million the Bills would be forced to eat.

Not saying you are wrong. Just saying I haven't seen anything that points to what you just said - assuming I understood you correctly. Did you see that in writing somewhere?

According to the NFL, options on 2016 contracts must be exercised before 4PM March 9th. New league year starts after that.

So if Tyrod is going to be traded, the Bills will need to pick up the option or renegotiate a new contract before being able to trade him.

And that means the Bills would eat $18.3 million in dead cap to trade him at any point during the 2017 contract year according to this site.

The Bills are not on the hook with Tyrod until the 12th.

The Bills are not on the hook with Tyrod until the 12th.

If they trade him before payment it's not their cap hit to account for it is the team assuming the contract from all I know. Though options im hazier on.

I spent a great deal of time searching around today looking for the exact details on The Bills Tyrod contract and options and everything because I thought I saw something previously about March 11th or 12th.

It has been hard to find definitive information because I have conflicting information from various trustworthy sources.

I have now come across this article on ESPN which states the dates are in fact March 11 which is not what it says on NFL.com. This is maddening and very confusing.

Seems like a pretty good explanation here though - from that article:

The Bills' extension with Taylor, signed in August, already puts the quarterback under contract for $27.5 million in 2017 -- a salary that is guaranteed if Taylor suffers an injury that prevents him from playing next season. The Bills have until March 11 to exercise an option on Taylor's contract that would trigger the 2018 through 2021 years of the deal, paying him $15.5 million immediately and lowering his 2017 salary to a fully-guaranteed $12 million.

If the Bills do not exercise Taylor's option by March 11, then the entirety of his $27.5 million salary in 2017 becomes fully guaranteed March 12, and Taylor would be slated for unrestricted free agency after the 2017 season.

The structure of Taylor's contract leaves the Bills with four choices:

1. Exercise his option by March 11 for the 2018-21 seasons, reducing his 2017 cap number from about $29 million to $15.913 million.

2. Decline to exercise his option but keep Taylor on the roster past March 12 at a fully-guaranteed salary and cap number of about $29 million.

3. Release Taylor prior to March 11, carrying about a $3 million dead-money hit against the 2017 cap but opening significant cap space.

4. Renegotiate Taylor's contract prior to March 11.

I guess the confusion came in from thinking Tyrod's contract was a through 2016 contract when it is in fact through 2017. Guess that means the option applies to contract year 2017 instead of 2016. I guess that allows the Bills extra wiggle room the first few days of the 2017 contract year which is probably what Kirby was talking about above.

Slowly becoming clearer. Good lord.

Edited by PolishDave

To me, it's not Tyrod that gives me that feeling. It's the defense that keeps sh*tting the bed that gives me that feeling.

To me it's all 3 phases of the game. WE NEED A NEW KICKER!!

Carpenter missed 2 FG in the final Fish game. He makes both of those we probably win. He affected other games as well.

Also, Hotrod helped in our losing record by continually not being able to mount successful comebacks. If he gets us in the EZ vs Hawks and Fish either of his opportunities, then we go into that final Jets game 9-6. We go all out, Hotrod plays and PLAYOFFS !!!

The D we know about.

It wasn't just the D or just Hotrod, it was all 3 phases of the game that did us in.

We must improve on all 3.

Go BILLS !!

To me it's all 3 phases of the game. WE NEED A NEW KICKER!!

Carpenter missed 2 FG in the final Fish game. He makes both of those we probably win. He affected other games as well.

Also, Hotrod helped in our losing record by continually not being able to mount successful comebacks. If he gets us in the EZ vs Hawks and Fish either of his opportunities, then we go into that final Jets game 9-6. We go all out, Hotrod plays and PLAYOFFS !!!

The D we know about.

It wasn't just the D or just Hotrod, it was all 3 phases of the game that did us in.

We must improve on all 3.

Go BILLS !!

Def gotta upgrade the kicker position. Need someone to make those kicks consistently. Watching other teams games their kickers are almost automatic. Watching Carp kick is like watching McKelvin field a PR or KR.