War?

Tiberius

Threatening Mexico with invasion, putting Iran "On notice." This can't end well. He has even said we might get another chance at taking Iraq's oil! Then last night he took Iran to task for taking over Iraq.

How long before we have a war?

Hey, let's elect a crazy man, what could go wrong?

26k bombs dropped by Obama last year in 7 Muslim majority countries.

The question is if he will outdo Obama?

Edited by Dr.Sack

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It happens, but nice list you put together :thumbsup:

Makes you think doesn't it?

I think some of the lack of historical awareness is due to the fact that reporters today were just kids in the 80s or hadn't even been born yet.

Relations with Iran are awesome compared to the mid-1980s.

The Israelis conducted a secret raid to take out a nuclear installation in Iraq that pissed a lot of people off.

The Russians? Able Archer nearly started WWIII, the Berlin Wall, Russians boycotting Olympics, Star Wars - especially before Gorbachev, things were far more tense than they are today between Reagan and the USSR.

Libya? Reagan sent jets to assassinate Qaddafi in retaliation for a bombing of a disco where two US servicemen died (Operation El Dorado Canyon) This occurred after a clash between the US and Libya in the Gulf of Sidra where the Libyans had high casualties. We didn't get overflight rights from Spain, Italy or France - our NATO allies - so the mission required a near record amount of mid-air refueling at that point.

I guess my point is that folks freak out over some aggressive phone calling and press conferencing and forget how tense and bloody the 1980s were.

Edited by dpberr

I think some of the lack of historical awareness is due to the fact that reporters today were just kids in the 80s or hadn't even been born yet.

The Russians? Able Archer nearly started WWIII, the Berlin Wall, Russians boycotting Olympics, Star Wars - especially before Gorbachev, things were far more tense than they are today between Reagan and the USSR.

Libya? Reagan sent jets to assassinate Qaddafi in retaliation for a bombing of a disco where two US servicemen died (Operation El Dorado Canyon) This occurred after a clash between the US and Libya in the Gulf of Sidra where the Libyans had high casualties. We didn't get overflight rights from Spain, Italy or France - our NATO allies - so the mission required a near record amount of mid-air refueling.

I guess my point is that folks freak out over some aggressive phone calling and press conferencing and forget how tense and bloody the 1980s were.

No, people weren't really aware back in the 80's either. We were basically at war with Libya for eight years, over the Gulf of Sidra and other issues - bombed them twice, two air battles, one naval battle, and two terrorist attacks I can think of off the top of my head (Berlin discotheque bombing that prompted El Dorado Canyon, and Pan Am 103.) And in the 90's...people think the Gulf War ended in 1991, and the Clinton Administration was peaceful, conveniently forgetting that we were enforcing no-fly zones all that time, and engaged in three major bombing campaigns and several small combat incidents with Iraqi air defenses. In reality, we were at war with Saddam Hussein for almost 13 years (1990 to 2003).

It's more down to what I mentioned earlier, somewhere: to the American people, it's only a "real" war if you have soldiers on the ground at risk. Otherwise we can drop all the bombs we want, and it's not "war."

The Israelis conducted a secret raid to take out a nuclear installation in Iraq that pissed a lot of people off.

Libya? Reagan sent jets to assassinate Qaddafi in retaliation for a bombing of a disco where two US servicemen died (Operation El Dorado Canyon) This occurred after a clash between the US and Libya in the Gulf of Sidra where the Libyans had high casualties. We didn't get overflight rights from Spain, Italy or France - our NATO allies - so the mission required a near record amount of mid-air refueling at that point.

Great post!

Things with Iran used to be much worse. This is just talking in wrestler voice compared to the 1980s.

In the 1980s

Iranian revolution embassy siege in 1979

Hezbollah bombing of USMC barracks in Lebanon in 1983

Hostages held by Islamic Jihad, Hezbollah (all Iranian backed groups in Lebanon)

Funding Iraq in the Iraq/Iran war

Iran/Contra

Operation Earnest Will (protection of tankers in the Gulf from Iranian mines and aggression)

USS Samuel Roberts incident

Operation Praying Mantis

USS Stark incident (Iraqi jet fires two Exocet missles, 37 soldiers dead)

Shooting down of Iran Air 655 by the USS Vincennes

...and that's just the public information.

speaking of wrestling, which is all i read of this because i was too annoyed by it... the US wrestling team is going to miss out on a major match in Iran because of this.

Jordan Burroughs will not be able to compete.

I'll remind you of this response next time you flip over something trivial compared to the 80's. Well I'll try to anyway. Those reminders could keep me rather busy.

Thanks, I'll try and watch my 80's flip overs or whatever...are you drunk or something??

Trump and Israel are claiming Iran is violating a UN resolution, how funny. No tail wagging dog there.

Except that Donald is tweeting Iran is taking over Iraq, he has not ruled out military action and the Iranian military is now running around with pots and wooden spoons making noise. Our Commander and Chief also said the Iraqi oil should be ours.

Elections matter indeed

Elections matter indeed

Of course, in the name of honesty, the other candidate was running a campaign calling for open war with the world's largest nuclear power.

If I have to chose between a loud-mouth neophyte who likes to posture and act tough with Iran versus a known and accomplished war monger hell bent on starting a shooting war with Russia to "save" Syria... well, then I do what I did.

Choose a third party.

Of course, in the name of honesty, the other candidate was running a campaign calling for open war with the world's largest nuclear power.

If I have to chose between a loud-mouth neophyte who likes to posture and act tough with Iran versus a known and accomplished war monger hell bent on starting a shooting war with Russia to "save" Syria... well, then I do what I did.

Choose a third party.

She was? When? How?

I

She was? When? How?

I

No Fly Zones in Syria was a central plank in her campaign, was it not? This became a talking point on her campaign after the Russians very publicly moved in their S-300 air defense systems into Syria.

The only way to enforce a No Fly Zone in Syria would be to take those Russian air defense systems off line -- meaning US pilots dropping bombs on Russian troops.

That's an open call for war from a very accomplished war monger who had no compunction about misleading her supporters into a shooting war with Russia in an effort to "stop the bloodshed" in Syria. Bloodshed she very much aided and abetted as SecState.

No Fly Zones in Syria was a central plank in her campaign, was it not? This became a talking point on her campaign after the Russians very publicly moved in their S-300 air defense systems into Syria.

The only way to enforce a No Fly Zone in Syria would be to take those Russian air defense systems off line -- meaning US pilots dropping bombs on Russian troops.

That's an open call for war from a very accomplished war monger who had no compunction about misleading her supporters into a shooting war with Russia in an effort to "stop the bloodshed" in Syria. Bloodshed she very much aided and abetted as SecState.

So all this could possibly of led to a conflict. Nice change of subject but all a bit speculative. Trump is taking us down a dangerous path, now

So all this could possibly of led to a conflict. Nice change of subject but all a bit speculative. Trump is taking us down a dangerous path, now

There was nothing speculative about it. HRC made Syria one of the focal points of her campaign, specifically her desire to enact No Fly Zones, the same strategy she deployed in Libya... which guess what, led to war.

The fact you are so worried about war breaking out while breathlessly supporting the only candidate in the race who actually PROMISED war and made it a central plank of her campaign is... ironic. And a bit funny.