NFL's top ten worst offseason moves

1billsfan

In random order. I've got nine, what am I missing here?

San Diego drafting Ryan Leaf

St. Louis drafting Lawrence Phillips

Bills trading for Rob Johnson and paying him $25 million

Green Bay drafting Tony Manderich

Seattle drafting Rick Mirer

Falcons trading for Jeff George

Minnesota's trade for Hershal Walker

Saints trading whole draft for Ricky Williams

Miami trading down missing out on Randy Moss

In random order. I've got nine, what am I missing here?

Miami trading down missing out on Randy Moss

255762[/snapback]

But how many other teams passed on Moss too? Don't think that one belongs on the list.

I think Marinovich belongs on this list though.

Drafts are all gambles...I wouldn't put them in there.

255768[/snapback]

I'm went with so-called sure things that went beyond bust. Guys like Marino and Montana slipping were flukey happenstances. I just wanted to get something going today because I'm sick of beating dead horse topics regarding our team.

I assume you mean Lawrence Philips? It seems your list is weighted a little too heavily towards recent history.

255771[/snapback]

Yes sir, my bad.

There wasn't much player movement before free agency, but I'm sure there were some flameouts before Tony Manderich.

St. Louis drafting Steven Phillips

255762[/snapback]

Cool, they must have taken him right before he became the GM for the Mets.

If you want bad offseason moves how about:

Seahawks signing of Nate Odomes

Buffalo bringing in Reggie Rogers

The Raiders signing Warren Sapp

Miami trading a second round pick for AJ Feeley :blink:

Bears trading for Rick Mirer

I'm went with so-called sure things that went beyond bust. Guys like Marino and Montana slipping were flukey happenstances. I just wanted to get something going today because I'm sick of beating dead horse topics regarding our team.

255800[/snapback]

Marv Levy wanted to draft Montana and the 'GM' overrode him!

Actually the trade for Jeff George was not that bad for the Falcons. He took them to the playoffs his first year there. The problem came in the second year, when he and June Jones got into a shouting match on the sidelines... and Jones, with his feelings hurt, elected to bench George.

255811[/snapback]

What did the Falcons give up to get Jeff George?

Wasn't Aundray Bruce a #1 draft pick one year?

How about the Colts taking Steve Emtman and Quentin Coryatt 1-2 at the top of a draft in the early '90s?  :doh:

255812[/snapback]

I thought Emtman was a solid pick at the time. Injuries killed his career.

But it sure seems like the Colts have been trying to build a defense forever! :lol:

But how many other teams passed on Moss too? Don't think that one belongs on the list.

I think Marinovich belongs on this list though.

255770[/snapback]

The whole league knew that Jimmy Johnson or Al Davis were the only two teams that would take Randy. Fat Jimmy got too impatient. I'm glad we don't have to face that guy twice a year.

IMO, one of the worst recent offseason move was the Skins signing Mark Brunell to a 7 year $43 million deal.  Gibbs has already stated that Ramsey is the starter next year.

:lol:

255834[/snapback]

Absolutely right. That was insane. I have never seen Gibbs do something that dumb in his career.

Placing the franchise tag on Woodson for 10.15 million HAS to be right up there. He is guaranteed the money, AND he will be a UFA in 06 and cash in again. It makes you wonder how any GM could be just that stupid. :doh::doh::huh:

Letting him walk would have made twice the sense of paying him that kind of cash!

I'm surprised that no one here thinks that Atlanta giving up a #1 for Peerless Price was considered one of the worst moves.

255828[/snapback]

You beat me to it!.. Trading a first round pick (McGahee) for a career number 2 receiver.

Let me try some of the Bills worst ever off season moves. I am leaving out bad draft picks. As it has been pointed out, you can always find draft picks that did not work out or could have worked out better in 20/20 hindsight.

1. Hiring Johnny Rauch as coach from the Raiders. He thought OJ would be better as a receiver.

2. Trading Darryl Lamonica and Billy Miller for Art Powell and Tom Flores.

3. RJ

4. Losing Joe Cribbs to the USFL.

5. Releasing Ron McDole because he was too old.

6. Changing to the new uniforms.

7. Hank Bullogh

8. Allowing Pete Gogolak to become the first ever free agent

9. Staying in the AFC East- should have gone to the AFC North

10. Allowing Al Metzler to do play-by-play instead of Van Miller in the 70's.

Great list, yoho.

256023[/snapback]

Thanks, I am pretty sure that much that I have on the list happened before many of the posters here were born or at least became Bills fans but if you want to find bad moves by the Bills, there is little in the last 20 years that compares with the first 25.

Ah, not that I long for the back to back 2-12 seasons...

If my math is right, we used to play 14 games and have a Super Bowl in early January. That would have meant a LONG time to wait until the draft.

Hm. Must've had a life back then! :doh:

Ah, not that I long for the back to back 2-12 seasons...

If my math is right, we used to play 14 games and have a Super Bowl in early January. That would have meant a LONG time to wait until the draft.

Hm. Must've had a life back then!  :doh:

256050[/snapback]

Yeah, but the draft had about 20 rounds.

Wow, no message boards, no off-season football rumors, no Mel Kipers.

Just sitting around waiting to find out what trouble Opie gets into tonight.

Thanks, I am pretty sure that much that I have on the list happened before many of the posters here were born or at least became Bills fans but if you want to find bad moves by the Bills, there is little in the last 20 years that compares with the first 25.

256044[/snapback]

I agree...But the last 10-15 also has some real stupid ones....

1. Signing RJ to a 25M contract without having thrown a single ball and also signing

Doug Flutie at the same time and starting a QB controversy that divided the

team.

2. Hiring Greg Williams, who promptly assembled a completely inexperienced

staff.

3. Firing of Bruce DeHaven, making him the scapegoat for Music City Miracle

4. Cutting the wrong QB after GW was made the coach

5. Trading a 2nd rounder to the Raiders for Billy Joe, 'I did not read the playbook'

Hobert.

6. Overpaying for aged or average players like Holocek, Fina, etc.

7. Losing out the architect of the 90s team, GM Bill Polian (This is on RW for

being cheap to pay his GMs and Coaches)

I'll never forget the article in Sports Illustrated after the RJ trade w/ the picture of him lounging in his Socal hot tub.

Damn....lets hope the '05 Bills can do something - us fans have put up with a lot of sh-- in the last several years.

I agree with everything on Yoho & Ganesh's list except staying in the AFC East.  I like being in the AFC East and our rivalries.  I'm glad we're not in the north.

256128[/snapback]

I can understand what you are saying. Those are old rivalries. I just think that in the long run a division with Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Cincy would result in new and even bigger rivalries and would allow us to compete with teams in generally the same type environment as Buffalo.

With the Jets, the Patsies and the Dolphins, we are competing against big market teams that seem to draw the top coaches to them (Parcells, Johnson). The AFC East is, and will probably stay one of the top divisions in football.

I love tradition-- want the old uniforms back -- hey, I could live with the Standing Buffalo helmet, but I think 3 years after we were in the AFC North, we would forget about the old rivalries.