Malik Hooker had two surgeries = no combine, 4-6 months

YoloinOhio

In this case it's different than Lawson, since the surgeries are done. Tough to miss camp as a rookie though. Still, I think signing a guy like Byrd (if healthy) on a cheap one year deal and drafting/phasing in Malik to eventually take over would be a smart decision.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love it. We actually might get real torches and pitchforks show up at 1 bills drive.

No doubt. Fans would be apoplectic.

But Hooker would provide a TON of scheme flexibility for McD to exploit.

In this case it's different than Lawson, since the surgeries are done. Tough to miss camp as a rookie though. Still, I think signing a guy like Byrd (if healthy) on a cheap one year deal and drafting/phasing in Malik to eventually take over would be a smart decision.

I could get on board with this.

fwiw when they make the comparisons they do it with "what is this college player's ceiling in the NFL" = NFL player name. So he sees his ceiling as Earl Thomas. Could be 2-3 years from now following experience and development. This is a very raw player not unlike his former teammate Darron Lee, who was a HS QB and played LB for only 2 years of his football life, and drafted at age 20.

Fair enough, I like to do both, comp coming out and comp ceiling (what they are and what they can be), fwiw... I loved me some Lee, if you recall, I agree on all fronts.

Totally different situation when the player will be healthy before training camp. I'd be delighted with Hooker at 10.

Yup.

If he's there at 10, you take him and never look back. Of course the fans will roast Whaley and company for taking yet another injured player, but I hope Whaley wouldn't let that sway him. Hooker is some kind of rare athletic talent.

and yup again (depending on who else may/may not be there.).

I would love it. We actually might get real torches and pitchforks show up at 1 bills drive.

Me to, sadly enough that might be true.

Wayne is spot in IMO, his injuries do not appear to have long term effects or at least serious ones, if the surgeries cause him to fall to 10, we should be joyous, if other teams are short sighted good for us, long term thinking here should apply, not short term.

The only comparisons for Hooker and Lawson are the injury. Hooker looks to be much more of a game wrecker and worth the wait and risk. Shaq looks to be a solid pick who won't boom or bust and the wait was frustrating because he was drafted to fill 94's spot.

Fair enough. Poor phrasing on my end.

He was *projected* as being taken in the top 5 before the news broke. If he drops to 10, take him and run.

No worries, phrasing is not my specialty by any means either 😉 just clarifying. Agree with the take him and run at 10, and your take on drafting him (if possible) and adding a vet at Safety being a good off season plan. I wouldn't mind taking 2 safeties in this draft either...

Edited by P51

• 4 weeks later...

Oh absolutely. I was only saying I liked Adams better than Hooker. Now, would you take Hooker at 10 or trade down to 15-20 for Peppers?

Just to keep it to safeties.

I wouldn't take Peppers before the 3rd round and even then it would depend on who else was on the board. He has no position and no production. He is an ELITE athlete but not a great football player.

Oh absolutely. I was only saying I liked Adams better than Hooker. Now, would you take Hooker at 10 or trade down to 15-20 for Peppers?

Just to keep it to safeties.

Peppers is the 5th S on my board. Behind Adams, Hooker, Baker, and Obi-Wan. I'd consider him at 44, but I doubt he's even the highest S on my board at that time, let alone the highest player on my board.