To QB or to not QB

This isn't hockey dude.

Yes. This + 1000000000. " Tanking" isn't a strategy in football. It's much more difficult to project if a top QB prospect is going to translate to the pro game because the College game is just different. The top Hockey prospect has a greater track record of NHL success than top college QBs in the NFL. You have to identify and draft the right guy and the #1 pick isn't necessarily a key to that.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QB or no QB. Superbowl Winning Quarterbacks:

Montana -4

Bradshaw -4

Brady -4

Aikman-3

Manning, P -2

Manning E-2

Plunkett -2

Griese-2

Staubach-2

Big Ben-2

Elway-2

Starr-2

McMahon-1

Rypien-1

Simms-1

Young-1

Wilson-1

Flacco-1

Brees-1

Rodgers -1

Stabler-1

Johnson-1

Hostetler-1

Dawson-1

Williams-1

Dilfer-1

Theismann-1

Favre-1

Warner-1

Unitas-1

Namath-1

Bills need an elite Franchise QB. Other teams manage to find them. Instead, OBD's goal is to make the wildcard game and when they don't, they keep telling everybody how close they are.

TBR

I have no idea what you are trying to point out here? QB's are a part of the team and win SB's?

I'm trying to point out that, teams have to build around an elite Franchise QB, if they want to win long term. Look at those names and you'll see that 80% are Franchise Type Blue Chip QB's. A few game managers, but not many. If you don't have the Franchise guy, and you haven't made the playoffs in 17 years, perhaps OBD should do whatever it takes to land one. OBD's job, and they haven't done it for the last 17 years is to find him. Most easily done by drafting at, or near the top of the board. That might require a TBR. Otherwise, 20 years looks realistic.

Why does everyone think it's an either or proposition? Nothing is stopping the Biils from keeping TT AND drafting a QB. It seems like the most reasonable strategy. No pressure to start the rookie, if they think they have hit the jackpot, they can trade TT who has a reasonable contract for a mid level starter

Good point. If they don't hit the jackpot, they need to pull the lever again until they do.

I don't disagree that they need to gear up to get a franchise guy but it is a surgical approach. It isn't a situation where you just keep throwing darts and hoping to eventually hit the bullseye. Swinging often severely limits the talent on the rest of your roster. Even if you hit after a few tries you are the Colts. A team that has a franchise QB and one of the worst rosters in football. You need to identify THE guy and get him. You can't waste substantial valuable resources. You can afford a couple of 1sts but no more.

Going back to Johnnie Unitas isnt showing us anything just like going back to Trent Dilfer isnt showing anything.

Rothlisberger 123yds 2 picks and they won doesn't mean --SEE you need a great qb or Brady's 149 in his first super bowl.

Franchise qb's like Elway 10-26-2-108 or 12-22-1-123 I have my franchise qb where's my trophy.

Denver JUST won it with great D and a game manager last year, Seattle great D and a running game two years prior, Baltimore with a great D and Special teams prior to that. Giants and pinning a ball to his helmet catch before that - if he drops it Eli isn't a good qb? He made the kick great qb he missed it bad qb- it's flat out stupid. We want a formula and there isn't one, chasing the great qb. Brees won a super bowl 8 years ago still clinging to it, while the last 5 years hes looking at a 39-40 record, doing that familiar 7-9 thing 4 of the last 5 years - we know as Bills fans so well. Phillip Rivers some think he's going to hall of fame in the last 8 years one season of double digit wins. His career record averages out to 8.8-7.1 Rodgers is fun to watch with an unbelievable arm he has 1 super bowl appearance. Ben Rothlisberger can't beat Brady either. Brady's teams on defense oh they were pretty good for HIS super bowl wins ranking 6-1-2-8 or Rothlisberger 4th and 1st..Manning last year Broncos 1st. I know that doesn't matter. The year Rodgers won GB defense ranking ? 1st Greatest show on Turf Warner 4th the great Brett Farve's only SB win Packers defense rank -1st. Aikman had to do it with a crappy defense ranked 2nd and 5th. Hidden Joe Montana stat 49ers defensive ranking 2-1-3. Giants with Eli had terrible defensive ranked teams but what happened in the games? Greatest offensive scoring team ever held to 17, unbeatable undefeated team held to 14

Edited by CardinalScotts

Montana -4

Bradshaw -4

Brady -4

Aikman-3

Manning, P -2

Manning E-2

Plunkett -2

Griese-2

Staubach-2

Big Ben-2

Elway-2

Starr-2

McMahon-1

Rypien-1

Simms-1

Young-1

Wilson-1

Flacco-1

Brees-1

Rodgers -1

Stabler-1

Johnson-1

Hostetler-1

Dawson-1

Williams-1

Dilfer-1

Theismann-1

Favre-1

Warner-1

Unitas-1

Namath-1

Bills need an elite Franchise QB. Other teams manage to find them. Instead, OBD's goal is to make the wildcard game and when they don't, they keep telling everybody how close they are.

TBR

Agreed. Play this game for a championship or don't bother IMO. With very rare exceptions, a FQB is a necessary piece. It's not sufficient to get you one, but it makes it possible. The real problem this season is finding one. This is a rough QB class, but there may actually be some talent available in FA or via trade.

Going back to Johnnie Unitas isnt showing us anything just like going back to Trent Dilfer isnt showing anything.

Rothlisberger 123yds 2 picks and they won doesn't mean --SEE you need a great qb or Brady's 149 in his first super bowl.

Franchise qb's like Elway 10-26-2-108 or 12-22-1-123 I have my franchise qb where's my trophy.

Denver JUST won it with great D and a game manager last year, Seattle great D and a running game two years prior, Baltimore with a great D and Special teams prior to that. Giants and pinning a ball to his helmet catch before that - if he drops it Eli isn't a good qb? He made the kick great qb he missed it bad qb- it's flat out stupid. We want a formula and there isn't one, chasing the great qb. Brees won a super bowl 8 years ago still clinging to it, while the last 5 years hes looking at a 39-40 record, doing that familiar 7-9 thing 4 of the last 5 years - we know as Bills fans so well. Phillip Rivers some think he's going to hall of fame in the last 8 years one season of double digit wins. His career record averages out to 8.8-7.1 Rodgers is fun to watch with an unbelievable arm he has 1 super bowl appearance. Ben Rothlisberger can't beat Brady either. Brady's teams on defense oh they were pretty good for HIS super bowl wins ranking 6-1-2-8 or Rothlisberger 4th and 1st..Manning last year Broncos 1st. I know that doesn't matter. The year Rodgers won GB defense ranking ? 1st Greatest show on Turf Warner 4th the great Brett Farve's only SB win Packers defense rank -1st. Aikman had to do it with a crappy defense ranked 2nd and 5th. Hidden Joe Montana stat 49ers defensive ranking 2-1-3. Giants with Eli had terrible defensive ranked teams but what happened in the games? Greatest offensive scoring team ever held to 17, unbeatable undefeated team held to 14

So.....you're saying defense wins championships? :D

I totally agree. But, we need consistency at the QB position. TT gets it done, but for most of the games, there's a lot of 3 and outs due to terrible placed balls, inability to see open guys and a lack of balls to try to throw into coverage. Low interceptions is great if you're winning and making good throws. But, holding on to the ball doesn't help either.

Montana -4

Bradshaw -4

Brady -4

Aikman-3

Manning, P -2

Manning E-2

Plunkett -2

Griese-2

Staubach-2

Big Ben-2

Elway-2

Starr-2

McMahon-1

Rypien-1

Simms-1

Young-1

Wilson-1

Flacco-1

Brees-1

Rodgers -1

Stabler-1

Johnson-1

Hostetler-1

Dawson-1

Williams-1

Dilfer-1

Theismann-1

Favre-1

Warner-1

Unitas-1

Namath-1

TBR

Don't have the time or inclination to research how many of these QB's won a SB in their 1st or 2nd season as a starter which is what you think TT should have already done.

Since you do have such time and inclination, can you show us that ?

Don't have the time or inclination to research how many of these QB's won a SB in their 1st or 2nd season as a starter which is what you think TT should have already done.

Since you do have such time and inclination, can you show us that ?

I don't think that's his point. He's just showing the caliber of QBs who have won championships. The importance of such a QB is obviously his point. There are obvious exceptions, but that means playing much slimmer odds.

Manuel was his guy. DW said so. Google it. You can watch it for yourself,

He's drafted fine?

2016 - Jury is still out. All we know is Lawson was hurt at the time of the draft.

2015 - No First Round Pick. Darby regressed this year. John Miller - Solid Starter. Nick O'Leary - serviceable.

2014 - Overpaid for Watkins, Kouandjio - solid starter. Preston Brown - Solid Starter

4 Solid Starters in three years. That's not fine. That's below average.

And this doesn't take into account the draft choices he peddled away to achieve this poor record.

Whaley is not fit to be a general manager of an NFL football team. This is not a huge insult either.....how many people ARE capable of doing that job. The bad news is that we are stuck with him for at least 1 more year. The good news is that he is a sharp dresser and must have some great fashion tips.

is a twenty something pay salary ok for a decent option?

because even decent qbs are hard to find

It's too much, even for one season. And Taylor would be in for two at that rate. As painful as it might be, the Bills need to walk away. I understand why they might do it - and why some fans want them to - but everyone will regret it if it happens. It'd just be wishful thinking and unwarranted hope leading to a bad decision.

It's too much, even for one season. And Taylor would be in for two at that rate. As painful as it might be, the Bills need to walk away. I understand why they might do it - and why some fans want them to - but everyone will regret it if it happens. It'd just be wishful thinking and unwarranted hope leading to a bad decision.

want to delve into it a bit further to explain your position?

why is it too much to pay a middleing starter qb middling starter qb money with the options so limited?

Ryan

since you really cannot provide anything useful to the conversation why are you even commenting?

wins and losses is a team thing

Eyes are a real thing. Watch him play sometime.

Let's stick with other teams backup qb's and hope for 8-8 football again. Sounds like a blast. Run that streak to 20 years with Taylor easily.

Every bill is the best. I forgot who I'm talking to.

Bye John. Enjoy the delusions. I'm done with Taylor talk until he embarrasses himself again week 1.

Eyes are a real thing. Watch him play sometime.

Let's stick with other teams backup qb's and hope for 8-8 football again. Sounds like a blast. Run that streak to 20 years with Taylor easily.

Every bill is the best. I forgot who I'm talking to.

Bye John. Enjoy the delusions. I'm done with Taylor talk until he embarrasses himself again week 1.

thank god

want to delve into it a bit further to explain your position?

why is it too much to pay a middleing starter qb middling starter qb money with the options so limited?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/quarterback/

$40.5M over two seasons is a very significant commitment. It puts him up there with the likes of Rivers, Ryan, Brady, etc. (see link above). He's not remotely close to that level of QB. The average salary gets a little better if he's kept longer, but in all honesty does anyone here want Tyrod for 5 more seasons? I sure don't. I can see him as a bridge QB for a reasonable price, but he not nearly a good enough passer to be a guy I'd make a long term commitment to.

People talk of keeping him as a bridge, but how do you give a QB that kind of cash and then try to draft his replacement? Doing so would certainly undermine him and create controversy. It wouldn't reflect well on the Bills as an organization either. Obviously retaining him wouldn't allow for even another bridge level QB to be brought in and it would take cap space away from retaining other talent - and the Bills have a lot of FAs this offseason.

The tough part of this is that there's no guarantee that the Bills will find a better replacement (unless they find one immediately in FA before the roster bonus is due). They might not, or it might take years. They've been looking a long time already. But sticking with Taylor is just another way of kicking the same can down the same road. He's just not a good enough passer to warrant such a significant commitment.

its 40 over two years. whered ya get 3o

I made a deal with John. I will not be discussing the qb or the poor passing offenses of the Bills/Rams/49ers/Browns group until a qb change is made.

Falcons and Pats ranked 2nd and 4th in passing. Bills 30th...... 189 ypg.

Not gonna work.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

The Bills are not keeping Tyrod as a bridge QB. I don't know why people don't listen to what the Bills themselves have said. They said they will only pick up the option if they feel he is the long term answer.

So there will be no "middling" this. Either he is the guy or he is not. If we keep him we're not drafting another QB high. So if you want Tyrod stop saying we draft someone also. Unless you count late round picks like Cardale.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/quarterback/

$40.5M over two seasons is a very significant commitment. It puts him up there with the likes of Rivers, Ryan, Brady, etc. (see link above). He's not remotely close to that level of QB. The average salary gets a little better if he's kept longer, but in all honesty does anyone here want Tyrod for 5 more seasons? I sure don't. I can see him as a bridge QB for a reasonable price, but he not nearly a good enough passer to be a guy I'd make a long term commitment to.

People talk of keeping him as a bridge, but how do you give a QB that kind of cash and then try to draft his replacement? Doing so would certainly undermine him and create controversy. It wouldn't reflect well on the Bills as an organization either. Obviously retaining him wouldn't allow for even another bridge level QB to be brought in and it would take cap space away from retaining other talent - and the Bills have a lot of FAs this offseason.

The tough part of this is that there's no guarantee that the Bills will find a better replacement (unless they find one immediately in FA before the roster bonus is due). They might not, or it might take years. They've been looking a long time already. But sticking with Taylor is just another way of kicking the same can down the same road. He's just not a good enough passer to warrant such a significant commitment.

the problem is none of those qbs you mention are available as a replacement

its not our money....the only thing that actually matters is what counts on cap

The Bills are not keeping Tyrod as a bridge QB. I don't know why people don't listen to what the Bills themselves have said. They said they will only pick up the option if they feel he is the long term answer.

So there will be no "middling" this. Either he is the guy or he is not. If we keep him we're not drafting another QB high. So if you want Tyrod stop saying we draft someone also. Unless you count late round picks like Cardale.

gotta take all that with a grain of salt till we see what they do.....the new draft slotting salaries make taking and stashing a qb much more economical

The stats are posted in the draft thread but roughly 1 out of 16 QBs, picked in rounds 1&2 (excluding the top 3 picks) over the last 11 drafts would be a franchise guy. That would be Carr and Flacco. There are some others that are serviceable but I'm not sure that there's another guy ahead of Tyrod even. That's 6.25% of those guys.

We love to use Derek Carr and Dak Prescott but we always seem to exclude the over 90% of other guys. For every Carr, there are 15 Tebows. For every Dak there are 20+ Levi Browns.

Should just paste the link--you clearly debunked the false mythology behind drafting a QB early--might help others to see the light ... whether they like it or not (it's like a gambler who brags about hitting on a big bet--doesn't tell you about the other nine big losses). Thanks again for that post--was good stuff--need Jack Nicholson with his "you can't handle the truth" rant. Edited by biggerdaddynj

The stats are posted in the draft thread but roughly 1 out of 16 QBs, picked in rounds 1&2 (excluding the top 3 picks) over the last 11 drafts would be a franchise guy. That would be Carr and Flacco. There are some others that are serviceable but I'm not sure that there's another guy ahead of Tyrod even. That's 6.25% of those guys.

We love to use Derek Carr and Dak Prescott but we always seem to exclude the over 90% of other guys. For every Carr, there are 15 Tebows. For every Dak there are 20+ Levi Browns.

Dalton's not a franchise guy? Come on. And he's way ahead of Tyrod. Their OL sucked this year and he still played pretty well. Cutler's not a franchise guy? I don't want him on my team but I'd certainly argue he's a franchise QB.

You're also assuming Paxton Lynch, Hackenberg, Bridgewater, Garoppolo, and Tannehill won't come into their own when it actually seems that some are right on track. OK, I'll give you Hackenberg, as that seemed like a bad pick from minute one.

Also, I noticed you stopped at eleven years. Couldn't be because the year before that, Aaron Rodgers was drafted 24th, could it? Or that the year before that both Rivers and Roethlisberger were drafted in the first but after #3?

Can't be bothered to look further, but that's already some big holes in this analysis.

But the major hole is assuming that all the guys who didn't become franchise guys never had a chance, a very unfair assumption. How good the development is from team to team differs wildly. Maybe some of the guys who didn't make it could have if given better coaching and surroundings. Very possible.

Which brings up the question of whether Buffalo is a place that does a good job of development, and the answer would seem to be no. Losman was developed horribly. Dunno if he'd have amounted to anything even given perfect conditions, but he was ruined. I hope they've turned around in terms of doing a better job.

What are you using as a "total defense" ranking?

By DVOA (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods) we were ranked 26th - and only ahead of 1 playoff team in Atlanta (who was ranked 1st on offense). Buffalo was ranked 10th on offense (ahead of several playoff teams - KC, MIA, DET, SEA, NYG, and HOU).

I think he's using what the NFL uses to rank defenses. And offenses.

Edited by Thurman#1

is a twenty something pay salary ok for a decent option?

because even decent qbs are hard to find

First, IMHO, no. Only 12 QBs have an average of $20 million or above.

Luck

Carson Palmer

Flacco

Flacco

Rodgers

Russ Wilson

Roethlisberger

Eli Manning

Rivers

Cam Newton

Matt Ryan

Tom Brady

So, IMHO, no. Yeah, decent QBs are hard to find. But I can't imagine a team paying that much for a bridge guy unless they thought that he was the last piece and that they would be competitive for a Super Bowl immediately. Teams in that situation are willing to do things that otherwise would be stupid. We aren't in that situation.

Second, if they keep him for one year, it wouldn't be $20 mill, it would be $30.5 mill. Probably Whaley wouldn't want to look that bad, so they'd likely keep him for two years if Whaley was still GM. Two years would indeed be just over $20 mill per year..There's never been a bridge QB with an average anywhere near that. $40 mill off the cap of a team that is very close to the cap ... for two years of Tyrod Taylor.

2 Pro Bowls in a row. They have other problems

They do indeed have other problems. Lower priority problems, but yeah, they've got a bunch of problems.

But those two Pro Bowls mean squat. Since moving from Hawaii and also moving the game up so the Super Bowl player can't go, making the Pro Bowl as an alternate or replacement just doesn't mean all that much. 36 guys turned down the Pro Bowl this year, and that's leaving aside the guys who were injured.

First, IMHO, no. Only 12 QBs have an average of $20 million or above.

Luck

Carson Palmer

Flacco

Flacco

Rodgers

Russ Wilson

Roethlisberger

Eli Manning

Rivers

Cam Newton

Matt Ryan

Tom Brady

So, IMHO, no. Yeah, decent QBs are hard to find. But I can't imagine a team paying that much for a bridge guy unless they thought that he was the last piece and that they would be competitive for a Super Bowl immediately. Teams in that situation are willing to do things that otherwise would be stupid. We aren't in that situation.

Second, if they keep him for one year, it wouldn't be $20 mill, it would be $30.5 mill. Probably Whaley wouldn't want to look that bad, so they'd likely keep him for two years if Whaley was still GM. Two years would indeed be just over $20 mill per year..There's never been a bridge QB with an average anywhere near that. $40 mill off the cap of a team that is very close to the cap ... for two years of Tyrod Taylor.

once again,,,since its not coming out of your pockey what is the actual cap hit

Dalton's not a franchise guy? Come on. And he's way ahead of Tyrod. Their OL sucked this year and he still played pretty well. Cutler's not a franchise guy? I don't want him on my team but I'd certainly argue he's a franchise QB.

You're also assuming Paxton Lynch, Hackenberg, Bridgewater, Garoppolo, and Tannehill won't come into their own when it actually seems that some are right on track. OK, I'll give you Hackenberg, as that seemed like a bad pick from minute one.

Also, I noticed you stopped at eleven years. Couldn't be because the year before that, Aaron Rodgers was drafted 24th, could it? Or that the year before that both Rivers and Roethlisberger were drafted in the first but after #3?

Can't be bothered to look further, but that's already some big holes in this analysis.

But the major hole is assuming that all the guys who didn't become franchise guys never had a chance, a very unfair assumption. How good the development is from team to team differs wildly. Maybe some of the guys who didn't make it could have if given better coaching and surroundings. Very possible.

Which brings up the question of whether Buffalo is a place that does a good job of development, and the answer would seem to be no. Losman was developed horribly. Dunno if he'd have amounted to anything even given perfect conditions, but he was ruined. I hope they've turned around in terms of doing a better job.

I used Gunner's list. That way I couldn't be accused of trying to make it fit a particular narrative. I didn't rank anybody. I used his list and put the stats to the guys. FWIW, I actually argued in that thread that Flacco, at this point, is more of a game manager. He's in the franchise tier for the purposes of these numbers because that's where Gunner had him. My thought process was, "let's see what these different tiers of QBs look like?"

Dalton would be in the game manager territory. FWIW, over the last 2 years Dalton and Tyrod each played 29 games. Dalton had 50 TDs and 15 INTs, Tyrod has 47 TDs and 12 INTs. They are in the same league (decent starter). In terms of Cutler, his numbers aren't even close. If you extrapolate his last 2 years to 29 games you are looking at 36.25 TDs and 23.2 INTs (he is a tier below those guys).

There is another thread where I went back to Brady (the earliest drafted QB left). There have been 213 drafted since him and the numbers hold almost exactly true. Feel free to find the thread going back further. It's in one of these 50 QB ones. To be really honest I was trying to use a 10 year sample size and forgot that it was 2017 :). I ended up doing 11 years because by the time I realized I already had the numbers so I used it.

I don't think that the development question is an unfair one. Unfortunately we can't assume what would or what wouldn't have happened in a given situation. There are certainly guys that got good and bad situations but that's true in any profession. That is the subjective end of it. I just added the factual part.

We all have these intuitive thoughts but what do the stats say? As an example one poster said that "Tyrod isn't in Tannehill's league." Over the last 2 years Tannehill is 14-15 with 259 yards a game, 45 TDs and 24 INTS, Tyrod is 15-14, 230 yards a game, 47 TDs and 12 INTs. That post may have even been the impetus for the research. Regardless of your preference on those players or your belief that they are or aren't franchise guys, it's very difficult to argue that they aren't AT LEAST comparable. Don't shoot the messenger.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

the problem is none of those qbs you mention are available as a replacement

its not our money....the only thing that actually matters is what counts on cap

gotta take all that with a grain of salt till we see what they do.....the new draft slotting salaries make taking and stashing a qb much more economical

The comparison is to show how grossly overpaid he'd be under the extension. And everything paid to him counts against the cap even the team can defer some of it.