Kelly "Best QB ever for the Bills"/ Who is number 2?

HT02

Okay so I thought I'd start a, hopefully fun, off-season "or hanging out in the bar" Bills discussion. Two part question...

I was just reading this article on TBD about Whaley meeting with Chad Kelly (http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/01/senior_bowl_2017_chad_kelly_draft_doug_whaley_buffalo_bills_jim_kelly.html) and it contained the pretty much undisputed statement that " Chad's uncle Jim is the best to ever play the position for the Bills". It got me thinking, who is the second best QB in Bills history, most likely Joe Ferguson, Jack Kemp or maybe Daryle Lamonica.

Secondly, which team has the biggest gap between GOAT (greatest of all time) for the franchise versus second best. The Jets came to mind immediately Joe Namath and ????? Testaverde? Ken O'Brien? Boomer? Not an impressive lot. When considering your answer I'm defining best/second best in terms of years with that team. As an example with the Jets you couldn't list Brett Farve because although he is HOF quality he wasn't in his year with the Jersey Jets.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Kelly

2. Kemp

3. Ferguson

4. Flutie

5. Taylor

Good list and Lamonica is in there somewhere as well.

The largest gap IMO is probably the Saints from Brees to Manning. I know that his teams sucked but there is quite a gap between what they accomplished. He had a few good (to great) years but there is a pretty big difference IMO. Denver comes to mind as well but Manning had those great few years too. How about the Patriots?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The largest gap IMO is probably the Saints from Brees to Manning. I know that his teams sucked but there is quite a gap between what they accomplished. He had a few good (to great) years but there is a pretty big difference IMO. Denver comes to mind as well but Manning had those great few years too. How about the Patriots?

Good point about the accomplishments but I think Manning was on some really awful teams. I think he was much better than those Jets guys. I thought about the Pats too but they did have Bledsoe and Grogan. I think Bledsoe is better than any of the Jets guys but Brady does set the bar pretty high.

Id put Lamonica at 3

Wow, pretty cool that Fitz was just 1 year away from 3rd place on the Bills' career passing yards leaderboard.

Shows you how much the game has changed over the years and that football stats are the most meaningless in all of sports

1. Brady

2. Bledsoe

3. Grogan

4. Eason had one good year lol

Can I count Plunkett even though they traded him to the Raiders? (Ugh talk about an incompetent organization back then.)

1. Kelly

2. Kemp

3. Ferguson

4. Flutie

5. Taylor

I think 1-3 are hard to argue. Kemp lead the team to two championships. Fergy was a solid starter for many years. After that it's debateable. Flutie and Taylor...OK. Bledsoe and Fitz? Maybe. Lamonica? Perhaps but not a lot of playing time relatively speaking.

1. Brady

2. Bledsoe

3. Grogan

4. Eason had one good year lol

Can I count Plunkett even though they traded him to the Raiders? (Ugh talk about an incompetent organization back then.)

Yes Plunkett can count but only his years in NE which weren't so great