Deshaun Watson a Bargain in 1st for Bills - DP

We've only taken a QB in the 1st round twice in a 17 year drought, at what point do we change this philosophy? Every year is a better year, I'll bet money there is a franchise QB in this draft. Identify him and lets draft our future franchise guy. I was never a fan of Watson, I have stated I feel it's like getting Tyrod Taylor all over again but when you sit back and watch him and his body of work, the guy is a fierce competitor, he thrives in the biggest games and you can tell he wants to be the guy that wins the game for you on the final drive, I really like alot about him, I think he'd be a great locker room player also, just my opinion.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you Watson fans concerned that his "fastball" only hit 49 MPH at the combine? I am. I used to be a fan of using the 10th pick on him, but for QBs, this stat seems to be the equivalent of a WR running a 4.80 40-yard dash--a huge red flag.

Are you Watson fans concerned that his "fastball" only hit 49 MPH at the combine? I am. I used to be a fan of using the 10th pick on him, but for QBs, this stat seems to be the equivalent of a WR running a 4.80 40-yard dash--a huge red flag.

There are no current NFL starters throwing close to that other than Tyrod Taylor and Mike Glennon.

There are no current NFL starters throwing close to that other than Tyrod Taylor and Mike Glennon.

Plus Tyrod was recovering from a shoulder injury, which I would imagine affected the velocity he was clocked at.

So that may take the count down to 1 (borderline) starter currently playing with a velocity almost as bad as Watson.

It's not even his velocity alone, either. IMO he struggles with some of the most important traits you look for in a QB - accuracy, decision making, ability to read defenses and go through progressions/field vision, ability to play in the pocket, play in the red zone (Clemson was ranked 70something and 120 something in 2 of his 3 years there, but to be fair they were ranked much higher in the other year), ability to handle pressure (I seen a stat that said he threw 1 interception every 16 times pressured as of before the 2016 season, and I don't imagine it improved since his Int's went up).

Personally, I would not take Watson top 10, but that's just my opinion. There's too many red flags for me. I have some major doubts about how his game will translate to the NFL.

I do like his confidence, personality and work ethic. I think he does have traits you look for in starting QBs in those categories (not enough to go top 10 though IMO). . I also like how he showed up in big games and won that national championship. But I don't as much stock into that as some. EJ won all 4 bowl games he played in. I heard that same stuff about how he played his best when the bright lights were on. And there's no correlation between a national championship winning QB and NFL success. The list I seen had very few national championship winning QBs with very successful NFL starting QB careers.

Really hoping this is just a smoke screen. But I've thought for a while that Watson would be Doug Whaley's type of QB.

Edited by BillsFan4

If the Bills draft Watson with a top pick I will be sick.

I wouldn't waste a late 1st on him.

Yet you'd gladly waste the pick on an even bigger project.

Well, get ready because there's no way Whaley passes on Deshaun at #10.

DeShaun Watson's lack of arm strength indicates he will have a championship career in the CFL

Mahomes supporters again with the arm strength argument. It's all they value. Forget about mechanics or intangibles.

Yet you'd gladly waste the pick on an even bigger project.

Well, get ready because there's no way Whaley passes on Deshaun at #10.

Mahomes supporters again with the arm strength argument. It's all they value. Forget about mechanics or intangibles.

This isn't about Mahomes supporters. Many of them are also Watson fans.

You obviously don't understand arm strength and the NFL. It is not the only thing. What there is is a minimum requirement to play in the NFL and Watson throws like a marginal NFL backup.

Fine. Name one success drafted in the last decade who throws below 50 mph.

I'll wait.

What there is is a minimum requirement to play in the NFL

I don't believe the data we have is sufficient to conclude that Watson isn't there.

I would obviously like to see that number a couple of mph up... but tape > measurables every single time.

This isn't about Mahomes supporters. Many of them are also Watson fans.

You obviously don't understand arm strength and the NFL. It is not the only thing. What there is is a minimum requirement to play in the NFL and Watson throws like a marginal NFL backup.

Fine. Name one success drafted in the last decade who throws below 50 mph.

I'll wait.

I have no clue what any QB throws as far as MPH is concerned. I didn't know this was baseball. I guess Fox and CBS are going to start having a speedometer during the games now? No? Then it doesn't matter.

Real game production > some useless metric

Football is not a science. It never has been and never will be.

Edited by Chicken Boo

You see, that is just superstition. The Bills have simply mistaken turds as clay.

Can't it be both? EJ Manuel was a bad pick who looked his best when he first started. After 4 years of Bills "coaching" the guy looks worse than when he got here.

I don't believe the data we have is sufficient to conclude that Watson isn't there.

Is there any reason to believe that the reported combine number was not accurate? Were his throws clocked again at his pro day? (Reports re his pro day were not encouraging, btw.) You saw the data in the other post regarding ball speed--if Watson's reported 49 mph was real and not the result of injury, I think it makes him to a mid-round pick at best.

I would obviously like to see that number a couple of mph up... but tape > measurables every single time.

I was calling his arm weak long before the combine. It shows on live TV, I'm sure it shows on tape. I can see why some people love the kid and his big game performances but something is missing.

The AFC East would be a nightmare for a guy who floats the ball like that.

It is a bit of a concern. He shows he can make all the throws on tape. Watson throws with a lot of touch and anticipation, similar to Drew Brees. He was by far the most natural and accurate thrower at the combine. I have seen him gun it between two defenders on multiple occasions at the collegiate level.

We are lucky to have a shot at Watson, if he threw 4 less int he would be going top 3.

Edited by billspro