Marquise Goodwin: Stay or Go?

Flash Goodwin: Stay or Go?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Keep Goodwin in 2017?

• Stay: He's cheap and fulfills a role
    • Go: He provides little value

His go to route this year was a twinkle-toe catch and fall out of bounds unscathed.

And honestly, I think thats all hes good for. Even the long ball wasnt there much this year for him, and I think alot of that is that Tyrod lost confidence in him as a receiver. If you run him down the sideline and force him to make a play for the ball, you might as well punt because hed rather do nothing than go up and compete for it.

And if he dives for it, hes hurt.

And if he catches it and gets hit, hes hurt.

Not a whole lot of upside to Goodwin once you realize that hes a fast WR who doesnt go deep very well.

wow just wow

wrong on nearly every point.

goodwin doesnt call the routes....he made great effort on tightwads only throw, the sideline pass( if u hadnt heard, tyrod doesnt use the middle very well)

he got killed this year going up for contested balls the tightwad threw late

he has caught every catchable ball thrown his way, even tough deep balls since he was drafted and has GREAT hands.

yes he does get hurt, but considering the Bills kept him all these seasons after all those injuries means you must be wrong about all those other points ( and you are)

amazing how people watch the games then forget all of these facts just to make their opinion sound right.

That was my point. If this is what you want in WR, get a stronger younger one who is available for full seasons.

wait what? you said his rac proved he couldnt shake coverage,, thats innacurate and unscientific. Then you said hes not staying healthy....both these point can be made for watkins to a greater extent. should we "want" sammy then?

the point is he should be used for deep balls, he should not be replacing woods and watkins on the outside, period, and watkins should stay healthy and actually get some rac instead of going down or out of bounds immediately after the catch.

no one minded hunter playing red zone target this year, whats wrong with having a real deep threat aside from softy sammy?

Edited by re enlightener

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow just wow

wrong on nearly every point.

goodwin doesnt call the routes....he made great effort on tightwads only throw, the sideline pass( if u hadnt heard, tyrod doesnt use the middle very well)

he got killed this year going up for contested balls the tightwad threw late

he has caught every catchable ball thrown his way, even tough deep balls since he was drafted and has GREAT hands.

yes he does get hurt, but considering the Bills kept him all these seasons after all those injuries means you must be wrong about all those other points ( and you are)

amazing how people watch the games then forget all of these facts just to make their opinion sound right.

wait what? you said his rac proved he couldnt shake coverage,, thats innacurate and unscientific. Then you said hes not staying healthy....both these point can be made for watkins to a greater extent. should we "want" sammy then?

the point is he should be used for deep balls, he should not be replacing woods and watkins on the outside, period, and watkins should stay healthy and actually get some rac instead of going down or out of bounds immediately after the catch.

no one minded hunter playing red zone target this year, whats wrong with having a real deep threat aside from softy sammy?

How many of those has be "been used for" in his career?

For the 28 (so far) that voted yes. Can you explain what role he fills? And why that cant be filled by one already on the roster or late Draft pick/UDFA. In other words Much Much cheaper?

I just cant fathom this. I can at least understand the Argument for the people that want to keep TT. This one though i am not grasping it.

Edited by MAJBobby

Are there ramifications for cutting him before/during/after training camp? I could see him being cut if he loses a battle to a cheaper guy for the fourth, fifth or sixth receiver. If there is some significant cap benefit for cutting him before training camp, that could make the decision a little tougher. If there is no benefit for cutting him early, then it is a no brainer to keep him and see how things work out in training camp. He had some good games this year, and is worth the benefit of the doubt. It would be nice if he could play special teams, but he doesn't seem to be rugged enough for that.

Are there ramifications for cutting him before/during/after training camp? I could see him being cut if he loses a battle to a cheaper guy for the fourth, fifth or sixth receiver. If there is some significant cap benefit for cutting him before training camp, that could make the decision a little tougher. If there is no benefit for cutting him early, then it is a no brainer to keep him and see how things work out in training camp. He had some good games this year, and is worth the benefit of the doubt. It would be nice if he could play special teams, but he doesn't seem to be rugged enough for that.

He is a free agent so you have to re-sign him first

I like Marquise, he's got a great story. Any stats he had this year were basically due to a "last man standing" role. I hope we get some WR's in here to let him become a FA. I do hope he hooks on w/ another team and continues to have success for a few more years. I just don't think it'll be here in Buffalo.

For the 28 (so far) that voted yes. Can you explain what role he fills? And why that cant be filled by one already on the roster or late Draft pick/UDFA. In other words Much Much cheaper?

I just cant fathom this. I can at least understand the Argument for the people that want to keep TT. This one though i am not grasping it.

I'm indifferent on Goodwin but I'd be fine if cheap. My logic is on the 1st page of the thread. I want my depth guys to have complementary skill sets.

I'm indifferent on Goodwin but I'd be fine if cheap. My logic is on the 1st page of the thread. I want my depth guys to have complementary skill sets.

Tate IMO is the bigger re-sign as a 4th WR. Why? Because at least he returns and offers more there to help with value.

Tate IMO is the bigger re-sign as a 4th WR. Why? Because at least he returns and offers more there to help with value.

I would agree for sure. Goodwin to me is a decent depth WR if cheap. He can be used in sub-packages and has played regularly when guys ahead of him were injured. I'm okay either way. They need to get a #2 no matter what.

I would agree for sure. Goodwin to me is a decent depth WR if cheap. He can be used in sub-packages and has played regularly when guys ahead of him were injured. I'm okay either way. They need to get a #2 no matter what.

Yes need a Number 2. Goodwin however i just dont even see the need. Kolby, Walt (already on roster and on very cheap contracts) can both provide me with what Goodwin brings to any offense.

I have been a fan of Goodwin in the past. However, would prefer to let him go. Too unreliable. I like his skills and physical play for a small guy.

I also question is desire to play football.

Yes, his willingness to get hurt and miss time has been amazing.

I guess that I'm pretty much indifferent on all rotational players. If they are cheap, fine, if not let them walk. I feel the same way with Corbin Bryant.

I'm more passionate about the next tier up because that's where mistakes are made. I wouldn't pay Woods $6M a year as an example. I probably would sign Zach Brown and Alexander if reasonable. That veteran starter, but not star, tier is scary to me always. I don't mind paying your top talents or your QB ever. Even if Dareus is a screw up it's tough to replace that talent.

He is a free agent so you have to re-sign him first

ok. Now I feel like an idiot, but I understand the quandary. I bet he would be pretty valuable for a team with a QB who can really use his speed. I'm not convinced the QB for the Bills (whoever he is) will be able to really use him. He isn't built to be a possession receiver, or play special teams IMHO. I doubt he would be worth the price of his next contract for the Bills.

It would depend on his price. As a 4th or 5th receiver, he provides a dimension that can be used. However, he had a career year and is likely to get contract above 1 million a year so I'd pass and look to fill the role with a free agent depth signing. It also seems like the Bills are picking up a potential 2nd WR via the draft/free agency as well.

His 42.6% completion rate to him can be accomplished by any WR. In fact if you want to keep TT as QB he is the worst WR you could have. you need one with a catch radius not someone that needs a perfectly thrown football to him.

Bingo. Goodwin is not a football player he's a track guy playing football. His inability to adjust to throws not perfectly on target was maddening. I believe part of his injury pattern is his lack of football sense in how to protect yourself when getting hit or in other potentially dangerous situations. Guys playing football since they were little kids have learned subconsciously how to avoid the big shot or landing the wrong way. Goodwin has not.

It's not just Tyrod who is hurt by a receiver who can't adjust...it's not helpful for any QB.

I know the health thing is always an issue with Goodwin (name a Bills WR that hasn't had this issue), but he stayed healthy this year. I think, when healthy, he has legit WR skills, not simply just a fast guy. I'd keep him, unless the dollars are too high.

He's only scratched the surface......he had the physical talent to be a very dynamic receiver....... but he made little effort until his walk year and that's because he is just in it to make a quick buck and get out so any team that gives him a deal needs to provide zero guarantees if they want to get work out of him.

It was entertaining watching him fight thru injuries that he would have tapped out and gone to IR from in past years...........the death crawl off the field after the Jets game was priceless. :lol:

I liked his quote in TBN article about being able to control the muscle injuries........all the people who make excuses for these guys with their hammy and groin issues think it's an act of GOD when one of these guys pops a muscle.

Stretch, warm up and hydrate.