The Trump Economy

GG

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

If Trump’s tariffs cost me $1,000, you have to wonder what Obama’s unemployment lines cost me? 

Obamacare has cost the average family much more and for years and years to come.   If Trump gets something done with China then Tariffs have a chance to pay off. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, keepthefaith said:

Obamacare has cost the average family much more and for years and years to come.   If Trump gets something done with China then Tariffs have a chance to pay off. 

Obamacare actually saved millions and millions of people money and health, something you can't measure. Trump's Tariffs are just an irrational temper tantrum, the proof of this is the latest round of tariffs he just did as a knee jerk reaction. 

Obamacares taxes also didnt didn't slow down the global economy. Economy actually improved after :) 

Most Americans with functioning brains know: Obama > Trump 

not even close :lol:

8 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Obamacare actually saved millions and millions of people money and health, something you can't measure. Trump's Tariffs are just an irrational temper tantrum, the proof of this is the latest round of tariffs he just did as a knee jerk reaction. 

Obamacares taxes also didnt didn't slow down the global economy. Economy actually improved after :) 

It provided free health insurance to some at the expense of those that buy private insurance.  It taxed people who didn't or wouldn't buy insurance.  It mandated that people buy coverage they didn't necessarily want.  It taxed medical devices.  It increased Medicaid benefits which caused private insurance rates to rise.  It cut Medicare which caused private insurance rates to rise.  It created a new tax, the net investment tax.  It allows HSA accounts for some people and not others. 

That's not savings, that's just shifting cost. 

Edited by keepthefaith

Just now, keepthefaith said:

It provided free health insurance to some at the expense of those that buy private insurance.  It taxed people who didn't or wouldn't buy insurance.  It mandated that people buy coverage they didn't necessarily want.  It taxed medical devices.  It cut Medicare which caused private insurance rates to rise.  It created a new tax, the net investment tax.  It allows HSA accounts for some people and not others. 

That's not savings, that's just shifting cost. 

So you won't even admit Trump is raising taxes on consumers? Just admit it. You are trying to change the subject 

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

So you won't even admit Trump is raising taxes on consumers? Just admit it. You are trying to change the subject 

I really don't like quoting you but answer this one question: If Trump raises the cost of a product by 10% (via tariffs) and China reduces the cost by 10% is that product costing the consumers more money? I bet you don't have the balls to answer in a serious manner.

10 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I really don't like quoting you but answer this one question: If Trump raises the cost of a product by 10% (via tariffs) and China reduces the cost by 10% is that product costing the consumers more money? I bet you don't have the balls to answer in a serious manner.

I doubt that he will be back this afternoon.  It's hammer and sickle day at the cubicle farm and the festivities call for tepid water and grilled tofu for the afternoon picnic.

The biggest benefit from the tariffs is the US companies' moves to diversify their supply chain away from China.   It will take some time, but the benefits will be long lasting.  

There is near term pain, though.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, GG said:

The biggest benefit from the tariffs is the US companies' moves to diversify their supply chain away from China.   It will take some time, but the benefits will be long lasting.  

That pain has been minimized by the weakening of the yen though. If they were willing to devalue their currency over 10% tariffs what will they do over 25% tariffs? I don't have an answer but I do know that China is in a world of hurt. Yes, diversifying USA companies supply chain away from China is a good thing.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Then how do you know?  :lol: 

Deductive logic you twit :doh:

1 hour ago, GG said:

Yup, and the farmers who will never get their markets back and the decline in overall global trade, well, that's just the price we pay for Trump's incompetence. 

I remember when GG wasn't an apologist for Trump. Weak people succumb 

37 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Hey HAHA Gator, aren't you going to answer me above?

Soybeans are a commodity and can be sold nearly everywhere.

was actually a positive statement for the first time i've read on here.... :D

Tibs is an idiot! The point of the tariff is to raise the price of Chinese goods back up to the point where they should have been all along. China is manipulating the cost of their products in hopes of putting US manufacturing out of business. But apparently as long as Tibs can get his underwear at cheap prices, he could care less how many Americans are out of work.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Tibs is an idiot! The point of the tariff is to raise the price of Chinese goods back up to the point where they should have been all along. China is manipulating the cost of their products in hopes of putting US manufacturing out of business. But apparently as long as Tibs can get his underwear at cheap prices, he could care less how many Americans are out of work.

Have you read this report? Tell me what you disagree with the main analysis that Trumps tariffs are hurting the American economy

Third complaint. I gotta say, China certainly has hutzpah.  All China has to do is deal fairly and honestly with the United States (hahahaha) and the tariffs go away. But nooooooooooooo...

China lodges tariff case at WTO against the U.S.

China has lodged a complaint against the United States at the World Trade Organization over U.S. import duties, the Chinese Commerce Ministry said on Monday.

</snip>

The lawsuit is the third Beijing has brought to challenge U.S. President Donald Trump’s China-specific tariffs at the WTO, the international organisation that limits the tariffs each country is allowed to charge.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Also in the foreign policy thread:

Why do you believe his tweets and claims.....at the G7 he tweeted that China called wanting to restart trade talks.....total lie.....and yet 5th Avenuers like your self continue to post his crap.....

snip