The Trump Economy

GG

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

If only we had one of your favorite commies in control.

The guys at American Conservative aren't too impressed either: https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/trump-coronavirus-speech-reaction/

Good part:

• This is a new, more serious tone from him. I sincerely welcome that

Bad parts:

• He looked and sounded unwell
  • I don’t suppose I’m opposed to the European travel restrictions, but it’s much too late for that to do measurable good. They would have made a lot more sense two weeks ago. And exempting Britain from this ban is senseless. It sounded like he’s  trying to frame the virus as an external threat. But it’s already here, and it’s rapidly spreading. This seemed more rhetorical than anything else — Trump trying to reinforce his image as a nationalist looking out for American interests
  • He spoke much more about economic relief than public health concerns
  • He spent far too much time and effort trying to defend his administration’s response, and no time speaking more directly to people who — encouraged by him and his media coterie — have spent the last few weeks minimizing the seriousness of all this
  • He said little or nothing about testing, which we are still not able to do. No real talk about social distancing
  • He did not declare a state of national emergency, which would have helpful policy and legal effects at the state level
  • He said nothing about the critical-care crisis facing hospitals. I have found that this is a point that is not widely understood by the general public: that even if only a relatively small number of people are ultimately going to die from this virus, it stands to overwhelm our hospitals. This is why it is so very important for everybody to practice social distancing and the rest: to slow the rate of infection, and give our health care system the chance to cope. It is beyond comprehension why he didn’t make this clear to listeners tonight. I’ve had a number of conversations these past few days with people who aren’t following the story closely, and they are entirely unaware of this fact. The president blew an opportunity to explain that to the nation
  • Watching him, I realized the cost of a president having pissed away his authority these past three years, with his daily juvenile tweets and schoolyard rhetoric. The country needs a president now who can inspire, galvanize, and lead. Tonight I saw a president who looked tired, afraid, and completely unconvincing. He ended by calling for an end to partisanship, and the nation coming together to fight this threat. That’s what any president should do in his position, in a moment of great national crisis. It is difficult to imagine a president with less credibility to make that ask

Real leadership in this crisis is going to have to come from governors, from public health officials, and from institutional leaders. We saw tonight that even when Trump is trying to be on his best behavior, he just doesn’t have much of a clue about the nature of the crisis, or how it can best be fought.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Whatnot78 said:

So you blame Trump for the pandemic, yet like the person he put in charge of said pandemmic?

Makes sense ?

Where have I ever blamed TRump for the pandemic?  This is what happens when people idolize him, they can't rationally evaluate him.

I've been saying that he/they had an opportunity to get out front when they shut down flights with China, but they didn't.  They have been reactive not proactive.  

Someone criticized Cuomo for bringing back SUNY students studying abroad, and fortunately he did that before Italy shut down.  That is being proactive.  

Yes, compared to Trump, Pence looks like a leader.  

Edited by TPS

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Restricting travel from Europe will do that...

There aren't exactly a lot of options here.  

Regardless of how serious the virus is (meaning life/death), the evidence clearly suggests it is highly contagious. 

So either you restrict travel - which has a disastrous effect on the economy - or you risk allowing the virus to spread quicker and get out of control.  

Italy did the latter, and they are suffering worse than anyone right now.  The U.S. is taking the approach of temporarily restricting travel, which I think is smart.

Meanwhile, the Democrats are too busy worrying about being "politically correct" than to use common sense in making these kind of tough decisions.  They are out accusing President Trump of being RACIST for restricting travel, but then also accusing him of not doing enough and not taking the outbreak serious.  You can't have it both ways.  At the end of the day, they seem more concerned about using this to gain points in the upcoming election than actually helping American citizens.

People have different political opinions, and that's fine.  But if people are going to criticize our president for his actions, then at least suggest what he could/should be doing differently.  

2 minutes ago, TPS said:

I've been saying that he/they had an opportunity to get out front when they shut down flights with China, but they didn't.  They have been reactive not proactive.  

Someone criticized Cuomo for bringing back SUNY students studying abroad, and fortunately he did that before Italy shut down.  That is being proactive.  

This is completely untrue.

Trump has been talking about restricting travel with China and Iran since back in JANUARY.

His critics (of course) accused him of being RACIST and trying to distract from the Impeachment hearings.

As I mentioned in another post, there is a delicate balance between trying to contain this outbreak and completely crashing the U.S. economy.

Are you suggesting that Trump should have called for a total shut-down of international travel a month ago?  That would have been proactive, but it also would have been perceived by most people as extremely overblown.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, TPS said:

Where have I ever blamed TRump for the pandemic?  This is what happens when people idolize him, they can't rationally evaluate him.

Yes, compared to Trump, Pence looks like a leader.  

where have I idolized Trump?

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Trump has been talking about restricting travel with China and Iran since back in JANUARY.

His critics (of course) accused him of being RACIST and trying to distract from the Impeachment hearings.

This has been debunked over and over again and is misinformation. The Schumer Tweet was fake. Nobody criticized the decision to restrict travel from China. Stop feeding into the right wing propaganda. 

1 minute ago, Gary Busey said:

This has been debunked over and over again and is misinformation. The Schumer Tweet was fake. Nobody criticized the decision to restrict travel from China. Stop feeding into the right wing propaganda. 

so, just to be clear here... you backed out of the pandemic thread but you are still talking the topic in this thread? 

just wanting to understand your motivations here.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

We are suppose to play nurse maid for Italy?  

No, i mean if that happens here

24 minutes ago, Foxx said:

so, just to be clear here... you backed out of the pandemic thread but you are still talking the topic in this thread? 

just wanting to understand your motivations here.

Why so personal? 

MARKETS

S&P 500 drops 7%, triggering NYSE ‘circuit breaker’ trading halt for 15 minutes

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

What exactly do you think these leaders, specifically President Trump, should be doing?

This article goes over some of the issues and things that should have been done....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-12/u-s-coronavirus-response-was-marked-by-overconfidence-delays?srnd=premium&sref=U5wmynFo

Saying things like we only have 15 cases and it will disappear, or the dems and fake news was making it the new hoax, was not leadership.  We still aren't even testing a significant number of people, so we still don't know how bad it is.   I pray that we don't get to the point where our hospitals are over run like Italy's ....

Even the conservative editorial board of the Wall Street Journal recognizes his lack of leadership....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-virus-and-leadershipthe-virus-and-leadership-11583960719?mod=hp_opin_pos_1

When President Trump sees a political threat, his instinct is to deny, double down and hit back. That has often been politically effective, but in the case of the novel coronavirus it has undermined his ability to lead.

Mr. Trump is right that his opponents, in politics and the media, want to turn the virus into his Hurricane Katrina. That is inevitable and he shouldn’t take their bait. The best defense isn’t to strike back as if the virus is Adam Schiff. It can’t be mocked with a nickname or dismissed with over-optimistic assertions that risk being run over by reality in a week or a month. On Wednesday Mr. Trump punched back at an article in Vanity Fair by tweeting: “Our team is doing a great job with CoronaVirus!” Who cares about Vanity Fair?

The best reply is cool and realistic leadership that marshals the strengths of the government a President leads. This means letting the experts speak, not putting himself in the front of every briefing and speculating about things he doesn’t know much about. It means showing personal support, ideally at some point in person, for virus patients and their front-line caregivers.

10 minutes ago, TPS said:

This article goes over some of the issues and things that should have been done....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-12/u-s-coronavirus-response-was-marked-by-overconfidence-delays?srnd=premium&sref=U5wmynFo

Saying things like we only have 15 cases and it will disappear, or the dems and fake news was making it the new hoax, was not leadership.  We still aren't even testing a significant number of people, so we still don't know how bad it is.   I pray that we don't get to the point where our hospitals are over run like Italy's ....

your still defending the press and trashing Trump, while trashing Trump for defending himself against the media's attacks.. sheesh.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

There aren't exactly a lot of options here.  

Regardless of how serious the virus is (meaning life/death), the evidence clearly suggests it is highly contagious. 

So either you restrict travel - which has a disastrous effect on the economy - or you risk allowing the virus to spread quicker and get out of control.  

Italy did the latter, and they are suffering worse than anyone right now.  The U.S. is taking the approach of temporarily restricting travel, which I think is smart.

Meanwhile, the Democrats are too busy worrying about being "politically correct" than to use common sense in making these kind of tough decisions.  They are out accusing President Trump of being RACIST for restricting travel, but then also accusing him of not doing enough and not taking the outbreak serious.  You can't have it both ways.  At the end of the day, they seem more concerned about using this to gain points in the upcoming election than actually helping American citizens.

People have different political opinions, and that's fine.  But if people are going to criticize our president for his actions, then at least suggest what he could/should be doing differently.  

He should have done...something different.  Like shut down all travel in January.  And test everyone even if asymptomatic.  And restrict all gatherings.  Just we do annually with the flu.

58 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

The Schumer tweet might have been fake, but Trump restricting travel from China before anyone else was the best move anyone could have made and that's not even open for debate.  Otherwise this would have been so much worse.  But enough people from China made it in and spread it unknowingly and unfortunately people from other virus-stricken countries made their way in and also did the same.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

He should have done...something different.  Like shut down all travel in January.  And test everyone even if asymptomatic.  And restrict all gatherings.  Just we do annually with the flu.

The Schumer tweet might have been fake, but Trump restricting travel from China before anyone else was the best move anyone could have made and that's not even open for debate.  Otherwise this would have been so much worse.  But enough people from China made it in and spread it unknowingly and unfortunately people from other virus-stricken countries made their way in and also did the same.

You don't think Trump claiming it was a hoax hurt the situation?