Childress & Olson Both Reported as Out for Bills' OC

Not trying to do anything my friend. Please do give us your personal expertise. Are you now or have you ever coached at the college or professional level? Or as most fans gained expertise from sports forums or talk shows? I readily will admit I'm not an expert, so please give me some room for not being one.

I think we can make talk on a message board without having an NFL job. Some of our takes will be idiotic and others will be on the money.

Just saying that NFL teams know what they are doing goes against all evidence of being a Bills fan. When we hired Marv Levy as a GM that was a pretty obvious mistake for anyone to understand.

We have already discussed Olson on here at length. Instead of blindly trusting in him why don't you show us the silver lining some of are not seeing. I defended McCoy and Childress as being good hires. Please do that with Olson.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other issue with hiring a Greg Olson type as OC is free agency...although money plays a big part in attracting talent, so does coaching. Some guys make look at Olson and say "no thanks".

That's why I really think this is nothing more than a favor to interview him...the Bills have someone else in mind.

User Actions
Following
jahYFjK-_bigger.jpgRob Quinn@RQUINN619

Think I might be the only person on Bills twitter who likes Olson.

User Actions
Following
jahYFjK-_bigger.jpgRob Quinn@RQUINN619

Rob Quinn Retweeted RawTips

Look @ jags 15 pass game, brees @ Purdue, solid w Canes. Childress not exactly a superstar either. Not saying Olson fantastic, just unknown

Rob Quinn added,

RawTips @rawtips
@RQUINN619 why do you?

Not trying to do anything my friend. Please do give us your personal expertise. Are you now or have you ever coached at the college or professional level? Or as most fans gained expertise from sports forums or talk shows? I readily will admit I'm not an expert, so please give me some room for not being one.

The purpose of a fan message board is to debate and discuss our team. If your response to anyone who disagrees with you is merely to tell them they are not a coach, I suspect you will not enjoy the conversation here.

Olson is a bad play caller. He isn't a terrible QB coach on track record.

I am not on board with him as OC. It feels like they have run out of choices and are left with the dregs.

+1 Olson is a bad play caller. I watched a few Jags games when he was OC and the playcalling was painful.

It's either got to be a guy that's been fired a few times, or a guy that's never been hired (as an OC) before. No one else is fool enough to come to the Bills, especially without a QB.

Olson and Childress are probably the best they can do.

If this is the case then it was a mistake to let Lynn walk and hire McDermott. I really like McD, but you cannot doom an entire unit to suck before the league year has even started and I am confident that we would suck with Olson as OC.

Would like to see Brad but have to wonder what his interest would be in coming here. Not a move up and and he just got promoted to the same position on a better team. Maybe we are not interested because he is not interested.

Reportedly he wants a chance to be HC again. If that's true, his interest in coming here would be to get out from Andy Reids shadow and being a co-OC and position himself for another try.

Which might mean he'd be one-and-done if he comes. Or, he might have decided to retire after all.

I think we can make talk on a message board without having an NFL job. Some of our takes will be idiotic and others will be on the money.

Just saying that NFL teams know what they are doing goes against all evidence of being a Bills fan. When we hired Marv Levy as a GM that was a pretty obvious mistake for anyone to understand.

We have already discussed Olson on here at length. Instead of blindly trusting in him why don't you show us the silver lining some of are not seeing. I defended McCoy and Childress as being good hires. Please do that with Olson.

Well, the Bills have made plenty of mistakes. The Marv as GM thing stands out, but that was a unique situation with the mercurial and aged Ralph Wilson who felt he couldn't trust anyone after the Tom Danahoe regime. Most owners don't make such a move, and there new ownership in place. Olson as OC doesn't appear too exciting, but he does continue getting NFL jobs so he must have some level of respect in the league. There are many reasons an offense can struggle - was it Olsons offensive concepts? Or was it a generally putrid level of QB play? Looking at the list of QBs he's had to work with in the NFL it seems it could be the latter. It doesn't seem that there are a lot of " name" candidates out there once the McCoy / Musgrave tandem was snagged by the Broncos. Could just be really bad timing

Who else is actually available? Seems many candidates around the league are getting " blocked" . Not a very stable situation in BUF right now and uncertain QB status. I can see it being difficult to get any takers.

Not everyone around the league will be "blocked". The QB status is an issue for the OC to sort out in interviews. Lynn laid down the blueprint for a top-10 offense with what we've currently got.

I would indeed be very uninspired by either Olson or Childress. I can see where McDermott might want an experienced hand on the other side of the ball but those guys put the "tread" in "retread".

The purpose of a fan message board is to debate and discuss our team. If your response to anyone who disagrees with you is merely to tell them they are not a coach, I suspect you will not enjoy the conversation here.

+1 Olson is a bad play caller. I watched a few Jags games when he was OC and the playcalling was painful.

What was it that struck you about his play calling that was bad? I ask because the # 1 fan complaint always seems to be play calling, when usually it's the players not executing the called play. So I usually hate hearing complaints about play calling . There is an art to it and we've all seen bad play calling : like running on first down too often , or calling weird " trick plays" at curious times . A. Lynn was guilty of both of these : remember the strange play to Reggie Bush with the season on the line? I'd like to know what stood out about Olson, because play calling is always the " default" complaint about a struggling offense.

Dude, if you're looking for professional coaches, you're in the wrong place; this is a fan board.

What was it that struck you about his play calling that was bad? I ask because the # 1 fan complaint always seems to be play calling, when usually it's the players not executing the called play. So I usually hate hearing complaints about play calling . There is an art to it and we've all seen bad play calling : like running on first down too often , or calling weird " trick plays" at curious times . A. Lynn was guilty of both of these : remember the strange play to Reggie Bush with the season on the line? I'd like to know what stood out about Olson, because play calling is always the " default" complaint about a struggling offense.

Unimaginative. I only watched a few games but even then you could see how they lined up, look at the down and distance and probably predict what the playcall was about 3 times out of 4.