Doug Whaley 1-on-1

You're right. That's why the Pegulas took the action to hold two separate interviews to clear up his mess.

a mess they helped to create by firing Ryan and not owning the responsibility, instead they sent Whaley, who didn't have the power to fire the HC.

The Pegulas felt bad for Whaley for the perceived press conference "fiasco" and had to take measures, by holding those interviews.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that Schopp and the Bulldog are interpreting this interview as the sign of a Bills' teardown and rebuild.

I heard them yapping and then I watched the video. I think they are overstating the case. That said, the messaging about long term vision is interesting. It does seem that this is not the year of "all in", but I would not go so far as to say they are indicating a complete tear down either. If they move on from Tyrod, this will no doubt be a step back year, by definition really. Will they pull a Cleveland? I do not think so.

I heard them yapping and then I watched the video. I think they are overstating the case. That said, the messaging about long term vision is interesting. It does seem that this is not the year of "all in", but I would not go so far as to say they are indicating a complete tear down either. If they move on from Tyrod, this will no doubt be a step back year, by definition really. Will they pull a Cleveland? I do not think so.

I agree. I didn't get any rebuilding message out of that.

I haven't been following much of this, but I as I have said in other threads a few weeks back, you can easily do a "soft" rebuild the next year or 2. Let TT go, move on from Kyle, Graham and other players that are getting older (This could be Hughes, Wood, Richie) in the next 2-3 years by start drafting replacements now and be smart with your signings and cap commitments. You have a chance to go BPA, free up cap space and then if you take a step back this year; you may be able to give up a bit less to go grab your QB. We aren't close to the Browns thankfully. Honestly with good coaching you might be at 6 wins anyways.

I just watched it again a second time myself and i'm with you guys. Did not hear what some are hearing at all. This seemed like a soft ball interview and had no other purpose. Whaley even says at the end , "year 1 , year 2" I'm not sure sounds like a rebuild at all. Teams reload all the time.

Edited by horned dogs

Interesting that Schopp and the Bulldog are interpreting this interview as the sign of a Bills' teardown and rebuild.

I just watched it again a second time myself and i'm with you guys. Did not hear what some are hearing at all. This seemed like a soft ball interview and had no other purpose. Whaley even says at the end , "year 1 , year 2" I'm not sure sounds like a rebuild at all. Teams reload all the time.

They referenced long-term vision because they hired a young coach. Come on guys, Slop and the Bulldog have to find something to talk about every day, this is poorly manufactured drama.

Really, guys?

Read these quotes. I think the message is loud and clear. I'll bold the key words and phrases.

"We're not looking to just make the playoffs. We were looking for a coach who agreed with us that we want to build from the foundation up a team that can consistently compete for championships."

"The head coach, myself, Jim Monos, the quarterback coach and offensive coordinator - we have to sit down and explain the vision we see of the qb we want on our team now and in the future. Then we'll come to a consensus: does this meet our criteria of a long-term answer at that position?"

"To the fans I say: we recognize the seventeen years, absolutely. But we're asking you to recognize that we're trying to build something for the long-term sustainabilty of success. And I can't give you a timeframe--year one, year two--but I will say; every game--like Coach says--you'll see a competitive team out there in position that won't beat themselves and that will be in a position to try to win."

"It's not going to be a quick fix. He knows that and we know that. And anything that's going to be sustainable for a long time is hard to do. So the work ethic - not only from ownership on down - is going to be permeated through this building but it's also going to be permeated in the locker room. These guys got to know - and they will know - that there's a standard we're setting."

Anyone who can read these quotes and not think "rebuild" is fooling themselves.

They don't care about the streak. They don't care to squeak out 10 games and sneak into the dance as a wild card and lose the first game. They want to blow this thing up and build a brand new foundation of a team that will win consistently and compete for championships year after year.

A teardown and rebuild is exactly what he's saying!

Really, guys?

Read these quotes. I think the message is loud and clear. I'll bold the key words and phrases.

"We're not looking to just make the playoffs. We were looking for a coach who agreed with us that we want to build from the foundation up a team that can consistently compete for championships."

"The head coach, myself, Jim Monos, the quarterback coach and offensive coordinator - we have to sit down and explain the vision we see of the qb we want on our team now and in the future. Then we'll come to a consensus: does this meet our criteria of a long-term answer at that position?"

"To the fans I say: we recognize the seventeen years, absolutely. But we're asking you to recognize that we're trying to build something for the long-term sustainabilty of success. And I can't give you a timeframe--year one, year two--but I will say; every game--like Coach says--you'll see a competitive team out there in position that won't beat themselves and that will be in a position to try to win."

"It's not going to be a quick fix. He knows that and we know that. And anything that's going to be sustainable for a long time is hard to do. So the work ethic - not only from ownership on down - is going to be permeated through this building but it's also going to be permeated in the locker room. These guys got to know - and they will know - that there's a standard we're setting."

They don't care about the streak. They don't care to squeak out 10 games and sneak into the dance as a wild card and lose the first game. They want to blow this thing up and build a brand new foundation of a team that will win consistently and compete for championships year after year.

1,2,3 stretch....2,3,4 reach!

1,2,3 stretch....2,3,4 reach!

So when he says things like "we want to build from the foundation up" and "we understand the drought but we're trying to build something for the long-term and we can't give you a timeframe for how long that will last" and "it's not going to be a quick fix" - you don't think this refers to a rebuild?

head-buried-in-sand.jpg

So when he says things like "we want to build from the foundation up" and "we understand the drought but we're trying to build something for the long-term and we can't give you a timeframe for how long that will last" and "it's not going to be a quick fix" - you don't think this refers to a rebuild?

head-buried-in-sand.jpg

You just keep looking for a massive dealing of veteran players. :thumbsup: Offseason dreams. :lol:

One can certainly interpret it as they are starting over in a sense. When Rex was hired, the Bills had a top 5 D, so Whaley went out and got Shady, Clay, and Harvin for the skill positions, brought in Taylor and Casel to compete at qb, and fortified the O-line with incognito. While they over-paid shady and Clay, they had a playoff team. That is, until Rex couldn't figure out what to do with the D.

Whaley gave Rex a playoff-caliber roster, but they also put themselves in a tough cap situation. They are at a new crossroads with yet another new coach; what to do?

Scenario 1: keep Taylor for a couple years and remain a team that flirts with the playoffs, which also means keeping competitive by overpaying woods and Gilmore to stay. If your goal is to simply make the playoffs, this is your option. However, it also means middle round draft picks.

Scenario 2: let Taylor go, don't overpay for players, strengthen your cap situation, and keep building the foundation through the draft. This is the long term solution which will take a couple years mainly due to finding a Long-term solution at QB.

If they go with 1, then I think it's because Whaley is under the gun to make the playoffs; if they go with 2, then pegula is on board with Whaley and McDermott trying to establish Pittsburgh on Niagara...

Really, guys?

Doesn't Whaley say "Building from the foundation up" every year? Edited by Beef Jerky

As bad as Cleveland? No way.

4 to 5 wins if they don't bring back Tyrod is more accurate. Glad I won't be watching.

Then why even be here and talk about something you don't watch or pay attention to? If you arent watching then that would be like talking **** to someone who voted one way all the while you didn't vote.