Doug Whaley 1-on-1

He clearly meant you need two things to win, you need the players, and you need to actually win the games. I think we can all identify that part of the reason we didn't make the playoffs was because in 2014 and 2015 we failed to win games that we should have. You'd think that Bills fans would like the fact that the GM is saying "we don't only need to set ourselves up to succeed with the talent, but we need to execute and actually win too, and only then will we be a winning franchise."

And this makes sense to you? Just asking because I have no idea what he was trying to say. I assumed at the time that he meant "the players and a winning culture" and just messed it up but now it seems that you are finding meaning in his actual quote.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They might not view it as an impediment to success, in fact I doubt they do.

But if you think billionaires don't care about optics and how they and their organizations are viewed publicly, you're dead wrong. They care. Deeply.

I don't think that they don't care, I think that they are over it, and their current actions aren't aimed at recovering from it, but moving past it. So I think we mostly agree, but they aren't dwelling on it. As stated in the Graham interview, they look at this as a distraction that they are just trying to get out of the way so the Coach and the players can be the face of the organization.

You don't grant these types of interviews too often. Why today?

Terry Pegula: I guess there's been a perception we're inaccessible. But I've been consistent from Day One when I bought the Sabres and then with the Bills, by owning these teams it's about the players and coaches. We didn't buy teams to be visible in the media. We bought teams to keep them in the area and to flourish with them. I let the coaches and the players be out front and be the story.

Kim Pegula: We want to make sure that the new coach coming in will be the voice of our organization and make sure we're all looking forward. So we wanted to get a lot of these questions out of the way if need be.

Edited by What a Tuel

I agree with most of what you write here, especially the part about Whaley being the leak does not make sense. There are a lot of staff people. There have been a lot of "leaks" that don't make sense. The "rogue" one for example; that's still lurking around in the form of Leo Roth (?) who asked McDermott whether he was confident he could keep Taylor if he wanted him.

I still think it would be helpful to clear the air and directly address some of these questions, for several reasons. I think there are some journalists who are fair, or try to be fair - there may be some with TBN but I don't know who they are. John Wawrow seems pretty grounded. So does Ty Dunne. Again, I don't think it will happen but you did ask what I'd like to see!

And in the realm of the possible, Whaley trying to build a better relationship with the press going forward would be something I'd like to see.

Fair enough. Wawrow and Dunne would be the one's to speak to. They are excellent. But Terry already spoke to Wawrow. Anything Whaley would say would be derivative and you would probably say he was still not being forthright. The guy is an employee. He's not going to speak out of step with the owners or what the owners want.

I turned on ESPN and caught a bit they used after Whaley stated he has found the secret to winning games which he said was "To win in this league, you need two things: players and winning". It was kinda like a SNL bit and rather hilarious.

Almost as good as "This is the game of football," "Injuries are part of it. It's a violent game that I personally don't think humans are supposed to play."[/size]

This reminds me of Hank Bullough back in the 80's, "that really took the sail out of our winds", or "The spare of the moment"

"We keep beating ourselves, but we're getting better at it" or "he's making improvement throwing the ball where he is throwing the ball.

Vince Lombardi is famous for saying "This is a football." The greatest basketball coach of all time, John Wooden, started every season showing his players how to put on their socks and tie their shoelaces. So what.

And this makes sense to you? Just asking because I have no idea what he was trying to say. I assumed at the time that he meant "the players and a winning culture" and just messed it up but now it seems that you are finding meaning in his actual quote.

You have to look at it in the context of the question. Whaley was asked what makes a rookie HC the right choice this time around? Whaley responded with a statement that McDermott will put the Bills in the best position to maximize player development, and consistently give us a chance to win. He wasn't commenting on winning on its own. He was commenting on why he chose McDermott - because he believes McDermott will both maximize player development, and give us a fighting chance to win on the field.

Sounds like a pretty valid path to winning in my opinion.

Q: This question is for Doug, actually. Last time around, Terry said that he had wanted Rex because he thought the team was two plays away from 11-5 and they were on the cusp of breaking through so he wanted a better head coach. This time, the interviews were exclusively coaches without head coaching experience before. What made that the right direction this time around?

DW: We looked at it this way: to win in this business, it’s about two things. It’s about players and winning. With Coach McDermott, we know that we have a guy that will maximize player development as well as consistently give our ball club a chance to win, and that’s what we were focused on.

You'd think that Bills fans would like the fact that the GM is saying "we don't only need to set ourselves up to succeed with the talent, but we need to execute and actually win too, and only then will we be a winning franchise."

I would have liked our GM to say what you typed rather than "Winning is about...winning."

Whaley is embarrassing.

I would have liked our GM to say what you typed rather than "Winning is about...winning."

Whaley is embarrassing.

He really is. I feel like I always know what he wants to say, but he never says it quite right. He should take a class for impromptu speaking. I'm serious.

I don't think he can avoid talking to the media. At least, in the off-season.

He really is. I feel like I always know what he wants to say, but he never says it quite right. He should take a class for impromptu speaking. I'm serious.

I don't think he can avoid talking to the media. At least, in the off-season.

but, can he spot talent?

Do you normally interrupt conversations with non-applicable questions?

Non-applicable questions? This is very simple, does he know how to spot talent? What's more important for a GM resume? Ability to speak in public or ability to find talent?

Well, actions speaks louder than words. If they were so mad at Whaley they should have fired him in the spot, they didn't.

It wasn't so long ago that people were mocking Rex for being the king of press conferences. You are right, Whaley does the job he needs to do, and acing press conferences won't improve the team one bit.

I don't think it has anything to do with Whaley polarizing, moreso that after his disastrous presser we've seen all kinda of damage control. Like Terry giving two exclusive interviews in a week to clear things up. And then this "interview" by a Bills shill. That's all.

Has nothing to do with Whaley's W and L column. Just PR.

I'm referring to his record as gm. There are a lot of people who hated him before the PC.

You're right. That's why the Pegulas took the action to hold two separate interviews to clear up his mess.

Terry Pegula: I guess there's been a perception we're inaccessible. But I've been consistent from Day One when I bought the Sabres and then with the Bills, by owning these teams it's about the players and coaches. We didn't buy teams to be visible in the media. We bought teams to keep them in the area and to flourish with them. I let the coaches and the players be out front and be the story.

Kim Pegula: We want to make sure that the new coach coming in will be the voice of our organization and make sure we're all looking forward. So we wanted to get a lot of these questions out of the way if need be.

They took the interviews to get the nonsense out of the way so that it isn't a distraction. Edit: There were statements by the media that they were inaccessible and not present at the press conference, and that started to turn into a narrative that the media was spinning. Fans even started claiming they were hiding out in Aspen or wherever their plane was at the time.

Of course you will argue that Whaley caused the distraction, but I think there would be questions for the Owners either way and they didn't make themselves available. Especially after Pegula firing Rex ahead of schedule.

Edited by What a Tuel

They took the interviews to get the nonsense out of the way so that it isn't a distraction. Of course you will argue that Whaley caused the distraction, but I think there would be questions for the Owners either way and they didn't make themselves available. Especially after Pegula firing Rex ahead of schedule.

Of course they aren't gonna come out and say Whaly screwed up.

Wawrow was of the opinion that he gave him a phone interview minutes after Whaley's disaster due to the mess, and with a desire to clean it up. I happen to agree with the guy who conducted the interview.