A Story about McDermott and Dawkins

I posted this in the main thread, but I think it's worth mentioning again. I was listening to Philly sports radio this morning and Reuben Frank came on and was talking about McDermott.

Frank was waiting to talk to Dawkins, and waited on the sideline while Dawkins was talking to McDermott at midfield.

When Dawkins returned to the sideline a while later Frank asked him "what were you talking about for that whole time?"

Dawkins responded "He told me that I shouldn't content myself on being one of the best in the league. When you go to Canton (they were playing the HOF game that year), walk around and think about what you need to do to be one of the greatest of all time."

Dawkins is now a first ballot semi-finalist for the HOF.

This is the guy we hired as our head coach.

I posted this in the main thread, but I think it's worth mentioning again. I was listening to Philly sports radio this morning and Reuben Frank came on and was talking about McDermott.

Frank was waiting to talk to Dawkins, and waited on the sideline while Dawkins was talking to McDermott at midfield.

When Dawkins returned to the sideline a while later Frank asked him "what were you talking about for that whole time?"

Dawkins responded "He told me that I shouldn't content myself on being one of the best in the league. When you go to Canton (they were playing the HOF game that year), walk around and think about what you need to do to be one of the greatest of all time."

That is an awesome story. Thanks for posting.

very cool. some guys are in it for the paycheck, and there is nothing you can do there. but there are some that play for a different reason, and if you stoke that fire, then amazing things could happen.

I have a vague memory of reading something about Marv Levy inspiring Bruce Smith similarly.

i believe i remember marv as being described as very average with Xs and Os, but extraordinary with people.

Certainly gotta like the message.

very cool. some guys are in it for the paycheck, and there is nothing you can do there. but there are some that play for a different reason, and if you stoke that fire, then amazing things could happen.

i believe i remember marv as being described as very average with Xs and Os, but extraordinary with people.

Dick Vermeil similar.

I think sometimes people "check out" a bit if they don't see a higher level as something they can achieve, and if someone helps them see it as possible, they change.

This story gels with how he described himself in the 'presser' :nana: . Like his make up. Hopefully this translates to a more cohesive and disciplined team on the field. But honestly, i can't see how it can be worse than the Rex administration.

I don't know if my heart can withstand the prideful swell of one more story about the midas touch of Dermott McSean.

I don't know if my heart can withstand the prideful swell of one more story about the midas touch of Dermott McSean.

If only McDermott instilled that kind of confidence in Bene Benwikere. He may have remained employed. For shame. Edited by FireChan

I highly doubt Marv was average at anything, but I get your point.

In pretty much every business, people will give you whats expected out of them. If you expect their best, you will often timees get it. If you have no expectations(see Rex Ryan), then they will give whatever they feel like giving, sometimes that's good because they are self motivated but a lot of people aren't and they need that push from someone else. If you have low expectations or just expect to get by, well that's what you get.

It truly is amazing how two managers can get vastly different results with nearly the same people. Happens all the time in business.

It all boils down to what is expected of them, how much you hold them accountable, and believing in them even when they don't always believe in themselves.

Edited by matter2003

I heard he delivered a baby while in the Tim Hortons drive thru this morning but I haven't been able to confirm yet

Dick Vermeil similar.

I think sometimes people "check out" a bit if they don't see a higher level as something they can achieve, and if someone helps them see it as possible, they change.

I think both Marv and Dick Vermeil were better than you think with X's and O's. They just delegated to coordinators and provided oversight to all other phases. Great stories about Marv running the Wing T in KC with a Chiefs team that was heavily run based.