Can the Bills exercise Taylor's option and trade him?

BuffaloBill

They discussed this on the John Murphy show. I don't remember the exact details, but I believe there is a sign and trade clause...Bills would be on the hook for a large sum of money.

They discussed this on the John Murphy show. I don't remember the exact details, but I believe there is a sign and trade clause...Bills would be on the hook for a large sum of money.

Someone on here can pribably explain better than I

If the Bills can do this at least they get something out of the Taylor exit.

The Bills could do this, but Taylor's contract is structured to give him a large option bonus of $15.5M spread over 5 seasons.

His actual salary is quite moderate and doesn't increase much.

If the Bills exercise the option and then trade Taylor, the Bills would still be on the hook for the option bonus, and it would accelerate and all come due immediately, so $15.5 cap hit this year.

We'd have to get something very juicy to make that worthwhile.

That is what I have been asking several times without a response. We might receive a ton of comp picks with all the talent about to leave

You likely aren't getting a response because the NFL rules on comp picks appear somewhat arcane at times.

My understanding is the answer is "no", because if you have a player under contract and release him, you are voluntarily losing his services. Compensation is for players you want to keep who are "hired away" on you.

The Bills could do this, but Taylor's contract is structured to give him a large option bonus of $15.5M spread over 5 seasons.

If the Bills exercise the option and then trade Taylor, the Bills would still be on the hook for the option bonus, and it would accelerate and all come due immediately, so $15.5 cap hit this year.

And that's on top of the $2.85 mill we are already on the hook for from his original signing bonus.

It would total $18.3 mill, roughly, in dead cap. But as I say, we're going to be paying that $2.85 mill whether or not we pick up the bonus or keep him.

Edited by Thurman#1

You likely aren't getting a response because the NFL rules on comp picks appear somewhat arcane at times.

My understanding is the answer is "no", because if you have a player under contract and release him, you are voluntarily losing his services. Compensation is for players you want to keep who are "hired away" on you.

Thank you. After reading this- It first needs to be stated that this is really only a one-year contract, with a team option for the next five years.- I was wondering how the option worked. If we didn't pick up option to we receive a compensatory pick? Or do we need to outright cut him?

March 9 – Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must exercise options for 2017 on all players who have option clauses in their 2016 contracts.

March 9 – All 2016 player contracts will expire at 4:00 p.m., New York time.

March 9 – The 2017 league year and free agency period begin at 4:00 p.m., New York time.

March 9 – Trading period for 2017 begins at 4:00 p.m., New York time after expiration of all 2016 contracts.

March 9 – Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must exercise options for 2017 on all players who have option clauses in their 2016 contracts.
March 9 – All 2016 player contracts will expire at 4:00 p.m., New York time.
March 9 – The 2017 league year and free agency period begin at 4:00 p.m., New York time.
March 9 – Trading period for 2017 begins at 4:00 p.m., New York time after expiration of all 2016 contracts.

I have been discussing the idea of trading Tyrod since at least week 13.

Trading period begins 4.00PM March 9

His Option Bonus fully guaranteed on March 11. So there is a window to try and sign a FA before having to make the decision.

They must trade him before option kicks in or else they are on the hook for the $27M. So no sign and trade.

I have been saying all along I think they sign Glennon to similar dollars and then try to trade Tyrod, but ultimately find no takers and release Tyrod,

That being said, this coach should have the best read of all Glennon so should be interesting

This. $18.75M is way too much to eat to gain a better draft pick than what we'd get as a comp.

Again, only get comp picks for FA losses.FA being guys who's contracts have run out. Tyrod would be cut , no comp pick..... or traded. No comp pick.

In other words ,no comp pick either way.

This was the only downside to the extension last summer.

We would be dumb to trade him and absorb a large chunk of that change.

If you trade before the option kicks in on the 11th, no hit to salary cap( there may be some minor stuff from last year)...new team would pay the option money.

Small window to get this done , between 4.00pm on the 9th and i believe noon on ht 11th, but that could be 11:59 PM on the 10th.

Just to clear this up once and for all.

Tyrods Contract Structure

• 2017 Option: $15.5M Option Bonus & $12M base salary & $3.25M of his 2018 salary fully guarantee on 3/11/2017

So, this Bills option

1) Cut Tyrod Prior to the 11th. No hit to the Bills cap, no comp picks if Tyrod signs elsewhere.

2) Bills trade Tyrod between the 9th and 11th. New team picks up all payments, Bills zero impact on cap. No comp picks.

3) Bills trade Tyrod after March 11. Bills on hook for the $15.5M bonus, new team pays guaranteed salary. Bills get hit with $15.5M cap hit. No Comp picks

Only thing that is not clear to me is if the injury thing comes into play. As i understand it, there is Injury Offsets if the contract, but I am not clear how that impacts the cap if the Bills reach an Injury Setllemnet with Tyrod , he signs elsewhere, and the Offset gets kicked in. Beyond my comprehension of the CBA.

Contrast that with the decision Bills would have faced without the extension.

1) Tag Tyrod for $20M for 2017

2) Work out a long-term deal prior to July 15th deadline

3) Let him walk...get comp pick .

Edited by plenzmd1

And that's on top of the $2.85 mill we are already on the hook for from his original signing bonus.

It would total $18.3 mill, roughly, in dead cap. But as I say, we're going to be paying that $2.85 mill whether or not we pick up the bonus or keep him.

Correct, $18.3M in dead cap if we option and trade Taylor.

If you trade before the option kicks in on the 11th, no hit to salary cap( there may be some minor stuff from last year)...new team would pay the option money.

Small window to get this done , between 4.00pm on the 9th and i believe noon on ht 11th, but that could be 11:59 PM on the 10th.

Just to clear this up once and for all.

Tyrods Contract Structure

• 2017 Option: $15.5M Option Bonus & $12M base salary & $3.25M of his 2018 salary fully guarantee on 3/11/2017

So, this Bills option

1) Cut Tyrod Prior to the 11th. No hit to the Bills cap, no comp picks if Tyrod signs elsewhere.

2) Bills trade Tyrod between the 9th and 11th. New team picks up all payments, Bills zero impact on cap. No comp picks.

3) Bills trade Tyrod after March 11. Bills on hook for the $15.5M bonus, new team pays guaranteed salary. Bills get hit with $15.5M cap hit. No Comp picks

Only thing that is not clear to me is if the injury thing comes into play. As i understand it, there is Injury Offsets if the contract, but I am not clear how that impacts the cap if the Bills reach an Injury Setllemnet with Tyrod , he signs elsewhere, and the Offset gets kicked in. Beyond my comprehension of the CBA.

Contrast that with the decision Bills would have faced without the extension.

1) Tag Tyrod for $20M for 2017

2) Work out a long-term deal prior to July 15th deadline

3) Let him walk...get comp pick .

I hadn't considered the idea of trade between 9th and 11th. Does that really work? The language on one site is trading begins "after expiration of all 2016 contracts", which implies to me they can't trade him unless they option him first (so he's signed).

My understanding is injury settlements involve cases where the player does not have specific injury guarantees in his contract. I don't think an injury settlement applies here.