McDermott hire further diminishes Whaley

Whaley should have gone public to say how much he disagreed with the hire and how he would have gone in another direction. :rolleyes: At any rate.......Next! BTW !@#$ Jerry Sullivan!!

Another way to read what you state is that there is NO publicly available article etc. from that time in which it is stated that Whaley was AGAINST hiring Rex. You have just chosen to believe the recent narrative.

Moreover, there would be nothing from that time -- for those of us that were paying attention and were not asleep (to use Promo's caustic remark) -- to conclude at the time that Whaley was AGAINST hiring Rex.

To the contrary, what we have is Whaley going out of his way to state that they have the exact same philosophy and complete each other's sentences.

Hmmmm.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you own the company, everyone's got a boss!

As for your never-ending crusade against Whaley. You have made your point...dozens and dozens and dozens of times! :doh: Whaley isn't getting fired so you need to move on or find another outlet for your frustration.

Please just tell me (because you always are awake and paying attention) . . . is Whaley all in on hiring McDermott? I want to know so that there is no dispute about this like the revisionist history with the prior guy.

Crusade? That is funny. Very funny. Contrast my recent opinion of Whaley (after having defended him) and resulting posts with the multitude of threads and posts over the past year or so regarding Rex. In many cases, multiple threads on the same day. I have not started one thread on the Whaley subject.

. . . or I may be the boss.

Believe what you want. The guy went out of his way to talk about completing each others sentences. Show me an article from that time where it states that he was AGAINST hiring Rex.

Given how (I believe) Whaley threw Rex under the bus, I also found another section of the Buffalo News article that I linked both interesting and ironic:

"On Ryan supporting Whaley’s controversial decision to trade first- and fourth-round picks in this year’s draft to move up to select wide receiver Sammy Watkins in last year’s draft: “I appreciate it. I look at it this way: we’re excited to have a No. 1 wide receiver for a long time."

I think Whaley has made an arse out of himself. He made that clear to the world in his press conference.

I used to defend the guy - even when he paid too much for Sammy. I think he actually is a pretty good scout/talent evaluator. I just think he is a weasel now. I hope he does a great job though because he has the title of "General Manager" of the team that I love.

You can't get any information that is true from TBN - They are all awful at their jobs and have axes to grind. We also can't trust the national media because the are voices for the agents and other agendas...

Sully deservedly bashes Whaley and shows him no respect, cause Lil Doug hasn't earned any... but he also goes on to wish McDermott good luck. Very fair column.

The entire FO doesn't really deserve it - same cast of clowns for years - Ralph's trash. We have all seen the stellar results...

Whaley reportedly felt strongly about hiring Hue Jackson. Obviously Rex came in and won the Pegula's and maybe even Whaley over. Had Rex come in and not won the Pegula's over, and they were lukewarm on Rex, maybe it would have been a little easier for Whaley to say, no, I think we should go with Hue.

There is no denying that the Pegula's were lured by the big splash effect of hiring Rex Ryan. To say that Rex had no effect on the Pegula's and solely convinced Whaley he is the guy is a myth or fairy tale.

brandon tipped rex off that the pegs liked red wine and whaley preferred grape maddog in a paper bag, it worked

Could be... but the narrative right now is to bash the hell out of Lil Doug (and also Pegs for not cleaning house)... and that will continue to be the main narrative until Pegs wakes up.

Again, same song and dance with all of the same characters - different owner of course, but they still don't really know any better. I will say they learned a little and dumped Rex, but the rest need to go as well...

Another way to read what you state is that there is NO publicly available article etc. from that time in which it is stated that Whaley was AGAINST hiring Rex. You have just chosen to believe the recent narrative.

Moreover, there would be nothing from that time -- for those of us that were paying attention and were not asleep (to use Promo's caustic remark) -- to conclude at the time that Whaley was AGAINST hiring Rex.

To the contrary, what we have is Whaley going out of his way to state that they have the exact same philosophy and complete each other's sentences.

Hmmmm.

This isn't a recent narrative. Despite you saying that you can't find anything on it, many of us know it to be true. Hue Jackson fit what Whaley wanted, and Rex Ryan won the group over. Whaley putting anything but 100% support behind the chosen candidate would be pretty ridiculous don't you think? So the PR speak tells you nothing.

Hmmmm.

On to McDermott! Next!

Hmmmm.

With spin master Russ - I really don't buy into much of anything they say. Everything is PR spin and it is a shame; other owners, coaches and GMs speak and you can tell it is honest and genuine. Here we have Don Draper carefully scripting everything that goes on there and the narrative that is given...

This isn't a recent narrative. Despite you saying that you can't find anything on it, many of us know it to be true. Hue Jackson fit what Whaley wanted, and Rex Ryan won the group over. Whaley putting anything but 100% support behind the chosen candidate would be pretty ridiculous don't you think? So the PR speak tells you nothing.

I was gratuitously accused of being a sleep and not paying attention.

Please tell me from what source "many of us know it to be true" that Whaley was AGAINST hiring Rex and the timing of that source?

I suspect that you are basing your opinion on recent "information" rather than anything from the time that Rex was hired.

P.S. It could very well be that Whaley (as do many of us) likes Hue Jackson. That does not mean that he was AGAINST hiring Rex.

In fact Hue Jackson even says this: "The Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator thought he aced his interview with the Bills and fit the mold owners Terry and Kim Pegula and General Manager Doug Whaley put forth.

"They wanted to find someone to leave the defense in place because they were very good there and really help on the offensive side of the ball, help with the decision of the quarterback," Jackson said Wednesday at the Super Bowl media center."

How can Hue Jackson say this, but then your PR speak of Whaley supporting Rex Ryan say something different. Rex Ryan convinced Whaley and the Pegula's that he could keep the defense intact like he said in his introductory press conference. Rex Ryan didn't do that. So no, Rex Ryan didn't have the same philosophy as Doug Whaley, or at least he didn't act on the philosphy he sold to the Pegula's and Whaley.

In fact Hue Jackson even says this: "The Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator thought he aced his interview with the Bills and fit the mold owners Terry and Kim Pegula and General Manager Doug Whaley put forth.

"They wanted to find someone to leave the defense in place because they were very good there and really help on the offensive side of the ball, help with the decision of the quarterback," Jackson said Wednesday at the Super Bowl media center."

How can Hue Jackson say this, but then your PR speak of Whaley supporting Rex Ryan say something different. Rex Ryan convinced Whaley and the Pegula's that he could keep the defense intact like he said in his introductory press conference. Rex Ryan didn't do that. So no, Rex Ryan didn't have the same philosophy as Doug Whaley, or at least he didn't act on the philosphy he sold to the Pegula's and Whaley.

Where does it state in your quote that Whaley was AGAINST hiring Rex?

Where does it state in your quote that Whaley was AGAINST hiring Rex?

This is what I am trying to tell you is that Whaley wouldn't say that because it would be rather absurd for the GM to come out against the HC that they just hired, and he wouldn't ever point the finger at the Pegula's for fudging up either.

I think Whaley saw the merits of Rex Ryan, but I also think he knew that the defense would have to change. Maybe Whaley was convinced Rex would leave it intact, maybe he wasn't, but you can't deny the effect Rex had on the Pegula's, and that Hue Jackson was a top candidate.

The question you have to ask yourself is if the Pegula's were not involved at all, would Whaley have chosen Rex Ryan or Hue Jackson? The logical choice would have to be Jackson because he was more likely to do what was quoted to be the goal for 2015 - Keep the defense intact, work on the offense. And that isn't even using hindsight cause Jackson just went 1-15 with the Browns.

This is what I am trying to tell you is that Whaley wouldn't say that because it would be rather absurd for the GM to come out against the HC that they just hired, and he wouldn't ever point the finger at the Pegula's for fudging up either.

I think Whaley saw the merits of Rex Ryan, but I also think he knew that the defense would have to change. Maybe Whaley was convinced Rex would leave it intact, maybe he wasn't, but you can't deny the effect Rex had on the Pegula's, and that Hue Jackson was a top candidate.

The question you have to ask yourself is if the Pegula's were not involved at all, would Whaley have chosen Rex Ryan or Hue Jackson? The logical choice would have to be Jackson because he was more likely to do what was quoted to be the goal for 2015 - Keep the defense intact, work on the offense. And that isn't even using hindsight cause Jackson just went 1-15 with the Browns.

You have done an excellent job of explaining your opinion. It is an opinion, which I respect (although I may disagree). In fact, it is an opinion that Whaley liked Hue . . . but, of course, that is different from stating that he was AGAINST hiring Rex or went along with it kicking and screaming.

Moreover, it is a far cry from the gratuitous and fallacious suggestion that -- unless one were asleep or not paying attention at the time Rex was hired -- we all should have known that Whaley was against the hiring of Rex. I still believe this to be revisionist history.

Look at that...another "I hate the BN/Jerry Sullivan" thread. I'm sure there will be at least a dozen or more threads on the same subject in the coming weeks.

"Hate" around here is usually a bad thing, unless it's directed at the right parties ordained by the loud mouth minority here.

Then the hate becomes cool.

Can't hate on 17 years of crap coming from OBD...but it's cool to hate on TBN generally, and Jerry Sullivan specifically.

Mention an uninspired coaching search and its likely failure and you are just a negative whiner, pissing in the corn flakes.

Mention that a 2nd newspaper might help drive another out of business, or that we'd be better of with no paper at all, or hope for some writers to get laid off and it's all good. No negativity there at all.

Peter,

if Whaley were, in fact, in favor of another hire but either was overruled, or persuaded to support Rex by others, or 'seduced' by Rex - would you expect to find any such articles soundbites or quotes?

You may not like Whaley as a GM - you're entitled - but all signs point to him being an "organization man" who will not speak against the organization's decisions publically

Nor should he, that would be highly destructive behavior

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

"Hate" around here is usually a bad thing, unless it's directed at the right parties ordained by the loud mouth minority here.

Then the hate becomes cool.

Can't hate on 17 years of crap coming from OBD...but it's cool to hate on TBN generally, and Jerry Sullivan specifically.

Mention an uninspired coaching search and its likely failure and you are just a negative whiner, pissing in the corn flakes.

Mention that a 2nd newspaper might help drive another out of business, or that we'd be better of with no paper at all, or hope for some writers to get laid off and it's all good. No negativity there at all.

I get what youre saying about it being en vogue to criticize TBN and Jerry, but nobody has anything bad to say about this hiring within NFL circles - to the contrary actually. Nobody but Jerry, that is. Within 2hrs of it happening. Pretty sad.

So yeh i agree that sometimes Jerry gets ripped on undeservingly and the mob mentality kicks in around here but with $h*t like this, he does it to himself