Broncos Sign Vance Joseph to a 4 Year Deal as their New HC

I agree but who do you like? No one proven is available

I had answered this a few days back.

Of the guys that we are interviewing, I am not particularly excited about any of them. I thought A. Lynn was the best of the bunch (I like his life story and continuity could have some advantages).

McDermott seems like he possibly could be ok. I am not excited about him and not sure why he (reportedly) has been identified as the guy who should lead our team going forward. Having said that, I will wait and see what happens (including the staff that he puts together).

The "A List" guys that want HC jobs are generally accepted to be the two Pats coordinators and Shanahan. It does not appear that they have an interest in the Bills or the Bills have reached out to them. I can surmise why this is but who knows for sure.

I would be excited about:

Wade - he probably would have been my first choice for reasons I have mentioned. I know he loves Buffalo (from mutual friends). I also think that he would have accepted the job in about a nanosecond if it had been offered.

Coughlin - he would have been a step above the other guys being interviewed (based on experience and pedigree) and probably would have allowed us to groom an heir apparent.

Guys that would have required a lot of work, $$$, and convincing:

Gruden - I like him although he seems to have his detractors here. I think he could be convinced with lots of $$$, power, etc. It would take a home run.

Harbaugh - I think he would like to stay at Michigan, and I would if I were him.

Cowher - He is a wild card. I thought that there could possibly be a connection with the Pegulas given the Western Pennsylvania stuff. I also thought that he was possibly angling for the job based on some of his statements on TV. If I were him, I would think that it is a lot less stressful to make lots of money sitting in a studio without anyone second guessing your decisions and being able to spend the rest of your week with your family.

This is a bay area guy more concerned with explaining the move to drop the Raiders OC to keep Downing than the veracity of his report on McCoy

Yeah, not surprised you choose old romantic comedies to quote, somehow that fits

A funny line is a funny line. This one is one of the better ones.

Edited by Peter

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand this at all. Elway obviously knows something we don't

I think the idea is that the Broncos defense is still very good and the core of their team. Wade is gone and Vance Joseph was his protege. So the defense can continue the same with Joseph, and they will have to bring in a new guy just to fix the offense.

I think the idea is that the Broncos defense is still very good and the core of their team. Wade is gone and Vance Joseph was his protege. So the defense can continue the same with Joseph, and they will have to bring in a new guy just to fix the offense.

But the thing is for me, The dolphins defence were ranked 28th or something with some pretty good players on that side of the ball. And I could be wrong but I believe Joseph runs a 4-3, where phillips is a 3-4

But the thing is for me, The dolphins defence were ranked 28th or something with some pretty good players on that side of the ball. And I could be wrong but I believe Joseph runs a 4-3, where phillips is a 3-4

Yep.

@Jeff_Legwold

Vance Joseph won the interview in '15 -- it took Gary Kubiak to keep him from the #BroncosNFL_Season_2016_DEN.png job-- and won the interview again.

Congratulations to Vance Joseph. He will now coach a much better defense than he had in Miami.

I have to give Vance credit for this: He sat Mario's arse down and (as the Miami media reported last week down here), the Dolphins really began their turn around once Mario was sent to the bench.

Congratulations to Vance Joseph. He will now coach a much better defense than he had in Miami.

I have to give Vance credit for this: He sat Mario's arse down and (as the Miami media reported last week down here), the Dolphins really began their turn around once Mario was sent to the bench.

This is true. Glad to see someone had the cojones to bench Mario

This is true. Glad to see someone had the cojones to bench Mario

He did . . . and his decision was much easier given that it essentially coincided with the Dolphins being able to start Cameron Wake and play him more once he was completely recovered from his injury.

Good for them. The Dolphins defense sucks. They are making a big mistake. I doubt Wade sticks around for that

I heard Wade is going to LA anyway. Sucks for Bronco fans. Wade is the one making that defense good. They have great players but great players witout great coaching dont do as well.

Yeah, them hiring Joseph at the same time we hire McDermott is not good. I thought we'd get McCoy as long as Joseph wasn't hired by Denver. Now i'd bet he goes to the Broncos.

We'll see. How did McCoy feel when he was previously shown the door? Does he still have ties to the area? How does he feel about working with Joseph, a 1st time head coach with whom he has no prior experience vs. working for McDermott?

I have to admit, if the Bills rolled out Vance Joseph as their new Head coach I'd rip them to shreds. Since Elway and Denver hired him...Vance seems much more attractive as a head coach. Just goes to show how highly regarded Denver is as a top tier organization.

The "A List" guys that want HC jobs are generally accepted to be the two Pats coordinators and Shanahan. It does not appear that they have an interest in the Bills or the Bills have reached out to them. I can surmise why this is but who knows for sure.

Coughlin - he would have been a step above the other guys being interviewed (based on experience and pedigree) and probably would have allowed us to groom an heir apparent.

Peter,

So now the dust is settling a bit, and I wanted to revisit your coaching assessment. In another thread you commented that the Bills not interviewing Couglin, Shanahan, and the Pat coordinators was tantamount to the Bills failing to interview the best men for the job - the "A List" guys.

Only one team interviewed Coughlin as head coach "step above" or not, and hired him as a FO guy not coach.

Shanahan interviewed with Denver, the Rams, and the 49ers. The Rams and 49ers are still in play, Denver (the consensus "plum" of available jobs) went with Joseph. The Chargers, Jaguars, and Bills did not interview him.

McDaniels interviewed with the Jaguars, Rams, and 49ers. The Jaguars, who seem to be the consensus #2 or 3 available job, chose Marrone ahead of him. In addition to the Bills, Denver and the Chargers did not interview him.

Patricia interviewed with the Rams and Chargers. In addition to the Bills, the Denver, the Jaguars, and the 49ers did not interview him.

I was just wondering how this information impacted your view, if at all, of who are the best coaching candidates and what it means to not interview these "A list" guys, because a number of teams besides the Bills chose not to. Is Denver missing out or controlled by a GM who shies away from a "name" big coach because they didn't interview Patricia and chose Joseph over Shanahan? Are the Jaguars and Couglin likewise not interviewing the best because no Shanahan or Patricia?

Just curious. Also welcome anyone else's views on this point.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Peter,

So now the dust is settling a bit, and I wanted to revisit your coaching assessment. In another thread you commented that the Bills not interviewing Couglin, Shanahan, and the Pat coordinators was tantamount to the Bills failing to interview the best men for the job - the "A List" guys.

The guys that others consider to be the A list guys - not necessarily me.

Only one team interviewed Coughlin as head coach "step above" or not, and hired him as a FO guy not coach.

Still believe that - as I believe you did when he was a name that supposedly was being considered.

Shanahan interviewed with Denver, the Rams, and the 49ers. The Rams and 49ers are still in play, Denver (the consensus "plum" of available jobs) went with Joseph. The Chargers, Jaguars, and Bills did not interview him.

McDaniels interviewed with the Jaguars, Rams, and 49ers. The Jaguars, who seem to be the consensus #2 or 3 available job, chose Marrone ahead of him. In addition to the Bills, Denver and the Chargers did not interview him.

Patricia interviewed with the Rams and Chargers. In addition to the Bills, the Denver, the Jaguars, and the 49ers did not interview him.

I have not been following it this closely but I will accept your statement that these guys interviewed with each of these teams etc.

I was just wondering how this information impacted your view, if at all, of who are the best coaching candidates and what it means to not interview these "A list" guys, because a number of teams besides the Bills chose not to. Is Denver missing out or controlled by a GM who shies away from a "name" big coach because they didn't interview Patricia and chose Joseph over Shanahan? Are the Jaguars and Couglin likewise not interviewing the best because no Shanahan or Patricia?

Your question can have many answers.

These guys could be pulling a Mike Shula and not wanting to be distracted (beyond the preliminary interview) until the playoffs are over.

These guys could be waiting to move forward until their teams are done so that they do not end up like Lane Kiffen.

I also suspect that the Pats guys respect Bill Belichick's opinion and want to make sure that wherever they end up (if it this year, next year, or another year) they end up where they can succeed.

As for Vance Joseph, I am not sure I understand Elway's reasoning. He must see something in him of which others are not aware. I presume that they have a plan for very strong coordinators to help him transition to HC.

Just curious. Also welcome anyone else's views on this point.

In the end, as I have mentioned on a number of occasions, I would have been tremendously excited if the Bills had hired Wade.

I would have been pretty good with Coughlin.

I would have been really excited about a Gruden, Harbaugh, or Cowher (understanding that they are each very difficult gets for any team). I do believe that Gruden could be lured back to the NFL though with the right opportunity.

As for McDermott: He seems ok. He does not excite me as a coach or get me excited about the upcoming season. I am sure this will surprise you (not really), but I think that we ended up making a change when a change did not need to be made.

Having said all that, I want to see how this plays out. They may have just chosen the next Bill Belichick. I hope so. I want this team to succeed whoever the coach is.

Let's see which coordinators he is able to attract. Let's see what their plans are going forward. Do we have that 11-5 roster that Doug Whaley seems to think that we have. If we end up with an 11-5 record and are competing for Super Bowls, we will all be happy, Even still, I suspect that I will keep more of an open mind about McDermott than some others did with the prior coach (many who have said that they were against the hire from the start). I am not for or against McDermott. There is not enough information (at least that I have) to have a conviction one way or another. Hence, I am not excited or passionate about hiring the guy.

We will see. I truly hope McDermott is an outstanding coach. I just hate the rinse and repeat.

I also wonder if it is now acceptable (given that the other guy is gone) for me or others to defend the new guy if things do not go as well for him because of things like injuries, suspensions, the failure to tackle, the failure to jump up to make a play when you are in position, or slowing down to blame someone else rather than chasing after a guy running toward the end zone . . . or were those considerations prohibited just when evaluating the former guy.

Go Bills!

Go Sean McDermott!