End of an Era - Sears Selling Craftsman

GG

I had the opportunity to enter the Sears near me during the holidays and, remarkably, the one in my mall smells precisely like the one I used to go to as a kid at Colony Center in Albany.

Not sure how they do it.

You know how I know you moved away a long time ago?

It's Colonie, dammit!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sears has been life support for years and years. Nothing new

Yep, I haven't stepped foot in one in probably over 10 years. Once upon a time I loved Sears. You could find quality stuff with great customer service, especially for any problems that popped up. I had a few really bad experiences in a row (right during the time Kmart took over) and that was that. Without the customer service and some pride behind the Sears name, they're just another crappy box store.

You know how I know you moved away a long time ago?

It's Colonie, dammit!

I haven't been there in over 37 years, and actually grew up an hour south on a ski slope in Greene County. I essentially remember three things about Colonie Center, and the spelling isn't one of them: the restaurant at the mall where you threw peanut shells on the floor, the Orange Julius (where we were all supposed to meet at the end of shopping) and the smell of Sears.

Where I lived, going to that mall was essentially the biggest event of the year.

Edited by LABillzFan

Declined? It is on life support about to die...

Sears has been life support for years and years. Nothing new

It is what Zombie films use as reference.

My wife shopped there once to buy a coat recommended by a friend, signed up for a credit card getting $50 off the sale price of coat making cost less than 1/4 th original price and has not been back since. It shows why they are dying - terrible pricing scheme and then rebates to lure customers in who never return.

It is what Zombie films use as reference.

My wife shopped there once to buy a coat recommended by a friend, signed up for a credit card getting $50 off the sale price of coat making cost less than 1/4 th original price and has not been back since. It shows why they are dying - terrible pricing scheme and then rebates to lure customers in who never return.

They probably sold your wife's personal information from the credit application for more than 50$. So they made their money back.

I haven't been there in over 37 years, and actually grew up an hour south on a ski slope in Greene County. I essentially remember three things about Colonie Center, and the spelling isn't one of them: the restaurant at the mall where you threw peanut shells on the floor, the Orange Julius (where we were all supposed to meet at the end of shopping) and the smell of Sears.

Where I lived, going to that mall was essentially the biggest event of the year.

Hunter or Windham? I grew up closer to the river, close to the bottom of 23A if you're coming down from Hunter.

I guess kids don't make their Christmas lists from the Sears Wish Book anymore, huh?

Yeah! How hard is it to build a nice tool collection over a lifetime or career! Get and lifetime hand tool warranty, etc...

But yet, something things I go Jap, Taiwan, China... How often do I use say a torque wrench?? Beam style is a an old Craftsman handed down to me, adjustable is a Neiko Pro made in Taiwan. No reason to overspend on things seldom used. I do try and pick out the better Asian stuff though and I will mix it in.

How can you beat: 70 bucks with a bunch of good reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-03709B-Adjustable-250-Foot-Vanadium/dp/B000N7DHI2

For what I use it for, I am not hanging on it 8 hours a day.

Yes... Especially the move to Taiwan, Japan...

Half of the good tools I have were free: they are the same ones my father was using when I was a kid. I have hammers and screwdrivers that are older than me.

I thought Craftsman was made in US. Not true?

Some of the stuff...

Sears/Kmart has/had an "Evo" line of handtools that are made in Asia.

The handtools w/Craftsman are made in USA... But whole ton of stuff in brand made overseas...

BTW... Craftsman GDOs are just rebranded Chamberlain door operators.

Like the whole Kenmore thing... Look for a decoder online and find out who makes what for Kenmore... You can decode the part number like: Amana, GE, LG, etc... And find out who rebrands as Kenmore brand.

I am not sure who makes Diehard? Interstate? There only a few battery makers too...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Catskill. Never got into skiing for whatever reason :lol:

Ever see this scene from The Brady Bunch Movie?

I don't want to say there is nothing going on in Windham, but this is what it was like in my family when we found out we were going to the Jamesway in Catskill, only without a housemaid and song. :lol:

Ever see this scene from The Brady Bunch Movie?

I don't want to say there is nothing going on in Windham, but this is what it was like in my family when we found out we were going to the Jamesway in Catskill, only without a housemaid and song. :lol:

Maybe I should have started this post on PPP. For all the crap that Walmart gets for killing small towns, people conveniently ignore that places like Catskill, Hudson, Kingston have been left for dead decades ago, well before Walmart moved north. When walmart came here they destroyed pieces of **** stores like Jamesway, Ames and Bradlees, not quaint local shops which were gone in the '60s and 70s. Now Catskill has the largest Walmart in Northeast and is packed with people. Edited by GG