End of an Era - Sears Selling Craftsman

GG

Maybe I should have started this post on PPP. For all the crap that Walmart gets for killing small towns, people conveniently ignore that places like Catskill, Hudson, Kingston have been left for dead decades ago, well before Walmart moved north. When walmart came here they destroyed pieces of **** stores like Jamesway, Ames and Bradlees, not quaint local shops which were gone in the '60s and 70s. Now Catskill has the largest Walmart in Northeast and is packed with people.

Ames killed themselves. They bought Zayres, and filed for bankruptcy/reorganization. Then once they recovered, they bought Hills, and declared bankruptcy/reorganization. They never recovered after that.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ames killed themselves. They bought Zayres, and filed for bankruptcy/reorganization. Then once they recovered, they bought Hills, and declared bankruptcy/reorganization. They never recovered after that.

When you double up on pieces of ****, you just get twice the amount of ****.

Ever see this scene from The Brady Bunch Movie?

I don't want to say there is nothing going on in Windham, but this is what it was like in my family when we found out we were going to the Jamesway in Catskill, only without a housemaid and song. :lol:

:lol: Jamesway is a little before my time, but I do remember Ames. My mother picked up shifts there when money was tight, and after dinner my siblings and dad would take a field trip there to see mom at work.

Windham's doing alright. The people who own the ski resort just bought Windham Country Club and are redoing the whole course, last I heard.

Maybe I should have started this post on PPP. For all the crap that Walmart gets for killing small towns, people conveniently ignore that places like Catskill, Hudson, Kingston have been left for dead decades ago, well before Walmart moved north. When walmart came here they destroyed pieces of **** stores like Jamesway, Ames and Bradlees, not quaint local shops which were gone in the '60s and 70s. Now Catskill has the largest Walmart in Northeast and is packed with people.

You're not wrong. I want to say Walmart in Catskill opened in 2006, and at the time was the biggest in the state (I don't think it is anymore, I could be wrong). Some local businesses that survived up until then are still around, many actually doing better than ever. Catskill has a few decent restaurants owned by locals now, and there's a bunch of yuppie money pouring into the town to turn parts of the creekfront into artsy fartsy paradise. It's no Westchester, but since Walmart came to town I daresay Catskill's doing a bit better on the local front.

Kingston, on the other hand, is circling the drain. But there are other reasons for that.

I haven't been there in over 37 years, and actually grew up an hour south on a ski slope in Greene County. I essentially remember three things about Colonie Center, and the spelling isn't one of them: the restaurant at the mall where you threw peanut shells on the floor, the Orange Julius (where we were all supposed to meet at the end of shopping) and the smell of Sears.

Where I lived, going to that mall was essentially the biggest event of the year.

I don't think any of that sh*t is there anymore........except the Sears.......which is connected to a Whole Foods...........kinda' like seeing a T-Rex attacking a Wooly Mammoth.

I had to meet someone at that Colonie Center a couple weeks ago......what a freakin' hodge podge town Colonie is...........but that's part of the charm of upstate NY in general and some day that variety will be gone and people will miss it.