Rebuild Job or Not?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not saying I think we should do this or not. Reading the tea leaves, Jim Kelly comments about Tyrod Taylor indicate he's not coming back. Jim is employed by PSE and I don't think he would have come on a strong as he did without reason. Pegula saying maybe he can win more games. And, Whaley doesn't sound like he's a supporter either. Where is the support?

Having said that, this is starting to look more and more to me like a rebuild. I know Whaley said 7-9, not good enough, and we're close. My question is if Whaley brings in someone other than A Lynn, can it be considered anything other than a rebuild?

I'm curious what you thoughtful posters out there think?

FIrst - all the speculation on Tyrod is meaningless until a new coach is hired. That coach will be the single biggest deciding factor in whether Tyrod stays or goes. In my opinion - there is a high likelihood of Tyrod staying with the Bills simply picking up the existing option that is available to them. I believe Whaley already wanted to do that but is waiting ONLY because of the question-mark about who the new coach will be.

Second - if Whaley brings in someone other than A Lynn, can it be considered anything other than a rebuild?

Not if the coach that they hire is a person who has previous head coaching experience or someone with a lot of coordinator experience. If they hire someone who has previous head coaching experience or experience as a successful coordinator, it will likely be because that guy convinced Whaley & Pegula that he can turn this team into a contender in one or two years with minor tweaks in the personnel.

The more inexperienced the new coach is - the more likely that they will rebuild player personnel on a grander scale. The one exception being Anthony Lynn.

I'm not buying that this decision has been made to move on from TT, I know Scheffter is reporting otherwise

But, If we assume it is true for a second, it means rebuild in my mind. And, that it will be a rookie, not a FA like TT. When I say rookie, that could well mean Cardale Jones competes with a first round pick.

What I think some people are missing is that they assume Whaley is gone after 1 year. If it is a rebuld, with a NEW HC, NEW QB, NEW DC etc. I'm not so sure he is gone. There will certainly be plenty of reasons/excuses to some why he should continue.

The bar will be pretty low, all the Pegulas need to believe is Doug got the chance to pick his guys and we're heading in the right direction.

Having said that I go back to my original comment, I don't buy that the decisions been made. The comment about "we are close", make no sense if that is the case.

The fly in the ointment to this theory is the Bills have a trade in mind like Rivers or something. That would change everything.

FIrst - all the speculation on Tyrod is meaningless until a new coach is hired. That coach will be the single biggest deciding factor in whether Tyrod stays or goes. In my opinion - there is a high likelihood of Tyrod staying with the Bills simply picking up the existing option that is available to them. I believe Whaley already wanted to do that but is waiting ONLY because of the question-mark about who the new coach will be.

Second - if Whaley brings in someone other than A Lynn, can it be considered anything other than a rebuild?

Not if the coach that they hire is a person who has previous head coaching experience or someone with a lot of coordinator experience. If they hire someone who has previous head coaching experience or experience as a successful coordinator, it will likely be because that guy convinced Whaley & Pegula that he can turn this team into a contender in one or two years with minor tweaks in the personnel.

The more inexperienced the new coach is - the more likely that they will rebuild player personnel on a grander scale. The one exception being Anthony Lynn.

You make some good points about the new HC. Although they do seem to interviewing a lot of inexperienced guys and then there is the Scheffter post.

You make some good points about the new HC. Although they do seem to interviewing a lot of inexperienced guys and then there is the Scheffter post.

Dude. The Schefter post was made up. Schefter never said that. That entire thread is based on a lie. Go look. Schefter never said what that poster claimed he said.

For some reason that Virgil guy decided to make it up. It is not a story at all. It is completely false. Go read Schefter's article.

Edited by PolishDave

Dude. The Schefter post was made up. Schefter never said that. That entire thread is based on a lie. Go look. Schefter never said what that poster claimed he said.

For some reason that Virgil guy decided to make it up. It is not a story at all. It is completely false. Go read Schefter's article.

This is the post below on ESPN:

I don't take any of this as gospel. I just see the part about Buffalo moving on. It is not what I would do, Short of trading for Philip Rivers, I'm not a Romo/ Cutler guy. I think we are close enough with competent coaching/D/ST that we could have been a playoff team. The Jim Kelly comments as well don't give me a lot of confidence that Whaley hasn't moved on. I want to believe they are false. Not betting my life savings on it though.

Scheffter: When the Bills didn't play quarterback Tyrod Taylor in their regular-season finale on Sunday against the New York Jets, it sent the message that the team does not intend to pick up the $15.5 million option bonus in his contract that they have until March 11 to decline or exercise.

Picking up the option would guarantee Taylor $30.75 million over the life of the contract, tying him to Buffalo for the next five seasons, and the Bills don't have any intention of paying it.

Taylor's core muscle surgery was performed this week with the Bills being aware of, and involved in the process to have it done, per league sources. This was not a surprise to the Bills. Taylor was diagnosed with a core muscle issue late in the season and played with it until Week 17. Bills doctors told Taylor that surgery was possible and they even recommended that he visit Dr. William Meyers in Philadelphia. Dr. Meyers determined there was no medical alternative; surgery was the only option. Taylor's recovery is expected to be six to eight weeks, possibly longer.

Buffalo is instead planning to move on from Taylor, despite the fact that their scoring has increased dramatically since he arrived. The year before he got to Buffalo, the Bills were 26th, and they've been 10th and 11th in the two years he has started. He's clearly a huge part of the difference.

He also was seventh in Total QBR last season, and ninth in 2016. People in that company get major dollars.

I think whether the team is in a "rebuilding" mode or not is still up in the air. If the Bills tender the $15.5m option on Taylor, definitely not. Doing that locks Taylor as the starter for next year. Not tendering the option by the March deadline while leaving him on the roster triggers the $27.5m guarantee, which locks him in as the starter for 2017 & 2018. If the Bills restructure his deal in any way, they're basically going with him for at least one year. The only move that says they're rebuilding is releasing him. If that happens, I would look for many other similar "parting of ways" moves for the team, such as letting the Gilmore girl hit free agency.

Now if the question is whether they should be in rebuilding mode, that's different altogether. This season feels like a tale of two teams to me. They won some games that they had no business winning and lost some games that they definitely shouldn't have lost. It didn't feel like they were lacking in talent, so much as they were lacking in execution. It's hard to narrow the blame down to coaching or players, or perhaps a combination of both. I personally believe that Taylor should be back at this point.

With all the recent hullaballo from Kelly, Wawrow and Scheffter It sounds like that is not an impossibility. Unless of course it is all BS, which it always could be. It is a bit disconcerting to hear, when you are a fan that thinks, short of trading, that with TT and a defense we are playoff material. I'm not ready for the rebuild. Then of course you have Whaley saying "we are close"...........

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18412571/nfl-2016-chris-mortensen-adam-schefter-wild-card-notebook-tyrod-taylor-future-buffalo-bills

The full link

Edited by horned dogs

They won't give Whaley enough time for a full rebuild. He's on a short lease. He's got one maybe two seasons tops

If this is the case, he should be fired now. There's no point in having a decision maker you don't trust and if Doug truly is on an extremely short leash then he clearly has incentive to make decisions in his own best interest.

There is no direction whatsoever if Tyrod is gone.

Every single person is in over their heads at OBD. Including the Pegulas.

You base this on your opinion I'm assuming.

Keep in mind since 2014 when they took over the Pegula ownership is now 24-24 50%, prior to that and back to our last playoff appearance it is a 39% winning percentage.

Just saying you're entitled to your opinion. Facts say something else.

You base this on your opinion I'm assuming.

Keep in mind since 2014 when they took over the Pegula ownership is now 24-24 50%, prior to that and back to our last playoff appearance it is a 39% winning percentage.

Just saying you're entitled to your opinion. Facts say something else.

It's a new day. Those silly things now mean nothing.

If all the rumors pointing to Taylors departure are true, this looks indeed like a rebuild. I continue to be baffled though at the ever changing "order of things". Whaley says that no decision will be made about future direction until new coach is hired. Interviewing isn't even over yet and they're parting ways? This organization is befuddling to say the least.

Depends on who they get as coach. I don't see a major overhaul.

Lynn would be a great fit and less likely to see a major overhaul. He has the pieces, but does he really want to coach for this owner and this FO?

Again, the FO and owner say there's no "dysfunction."

However, looking outside the box, this team looks like a horrendous opportunity and a career ender for any HC.

Things need to change, mostly to show any candidate coming in that this is a great opportunity to evolve their career.

Edited by KollegeStudnet

This is the post below on ESPN:

I don't take any of this as gospel. I just see the part about Buffalo moving on. It is not what I would do, Short of trading for Philip Rivers, I'm not a Romo/ Cutler guy. I think we are close enough with competent coaching/D/ST that we could have been a playoff team. The Jim Kelly comments as well don't give me a lot of confidence that Whaley hasn't moved on. I want to believe they are false. Not betting my life savings on it though.

Scheffter: When the Bills didn't play quarterback Tyrod Taylor in their regular-season finale on Sunday against the New York Jets, it sent the message that the team does not intend to pick up the $15.5 million option bonus in his contract that they have until March 11 to decline or exercise.

Picking up the option would guarantee Taylor $30.75 million over the life of the contract, tying him to Buffalo for the next five seasons, and the Bills don't have any intention of paying it.

Taylor's core muscle surgery was performed this week with the Bills being aware of, and involved in the process to have it done, per league sources. This was not a surprise to the Bills. Taylor was diagnosed with a core muscle issue late in the season and played with it until Week 17. Bills doctors told Taylor that surgery was possible and they even recommended that he visit Dr. William Meyers in Philadelphia. Dr. Meyers determined there was no medical alternative; surgery was the only option. Taylor's recovery is expected to be six to eight weeks, possibly longer.

Buffalo is instead planning to move on from Taylor, despite the fact that their scoring has increased dramatically since he arrived. The year before he got to Buffalo, the Bills were 26th, and they've been 10th and 11th in the two years he has started. He's clearly a huge part of the difference.

He also was seventh in Total QBR last season, and ninth in 2016. People in that company get major dollars.

With all the recent hullaballo from Kelly, Wawrow and Scheffter It sounds like that is not an impossibility. Unless of course it is all BS, which it always could be. It is a bit disconcerting to hear, when you are a fan that thinks, short of trading, that with TT and a defense we are playoff material. I'm not ready for the rebuild. Then of course you have Whaley saying "we are close"...........

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18412571/nfl-2016-chris-mortensen-adam-schefter-wild-card-notebook-tyrod-taylor-future-buffalo-bills

The full link

Thank you for pointing that out and making it bold. Don't know how I missed that. And now I feel dumb like Homer Simpson. Doh!