Video: Pegula:"Whaley questioned Rex...put me to sleep"

In that video clip, Pegula said something like "Doug asked Rex all those football questions that frankly put me to sleep" and that's when we started thinking Rex could be our guy. The inference is that Whaley professed himself satisfied with Rex's answer.

Whaley also said explicitly yesterday that he agreed with (eg approved) Rex's hire

Q: But you not taking ownership of the previous thing, you know part of that committee – you said you don’t want to get into it. If you agreed with the hire –

A: I did.

Q: You agreed with it?

A: I did. It’s a Bills hire. Correct.

The inverse, of course, being that when you're speaking at a press conference you're on script and part of the script (for what reason, I'm not sure) seemed to be that Whaley is in charge and the owners (in spite of what Whaley keeps alluding to) aren't making important decisions, and neither is Russ Brandon.

It's convenient to call him a liar, I thought it was pretty classless when Sully did, but 95% of what's said at press conferences is 100% BS. Which is why good reporters (Wawrow) get their reporting elsewhere.

That's perhaps the most absurd and pathetic argument you've ever made. You're a shell of yourself.

If you say so. I'm not sure why can of reasonable response you expected to speculative hyperbole.

Edited by The Big Cat

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

With respect, I do not agree that Whaley was not all in on the initial hire. He even went out of his way to say how they completed each other's sentences. This is kind of like people pushing the idea that Whaley was not all in on drafting EJ in the first round - at least until people were reminded of a video where Whaley suggests otherwise.

Whaley explicitly said in yesterday's press conference that he agreed with the hire.

I understand where people get to "well,Rex wasn't his first choice or he had reservations". That may also be true. I think a lot of people see that as contradicting the above because they don't have experience working with leadership in matrixed organizations or where important decisions are made by committee, and the consensus choice isn't the choice you personally would have made but you are able to agree with it, it's acceptable to you, you endorse it.

To use the reductio ad absurdum that people are claiming Whaley was nowhere near the "room where it happens" or not involved at all is just silly.

The inverse, of course, being that when you're speaking at a press conference you're on script and part of the script (for what reason, I'm not sure) seemed to be that Whaley is in charge and the owners (in spite of what Whaley keeps alluding to) aren't making important decisions, and neither is Russ Brandon.

It's convenient to call him a liar, I thought it was pretty classless when Sully did, but 95% of what's said at press conferences is 100% BS. Which is why good reporters (Wawrow) get their reporting elsewhere.

If you say so. I'm not sure why can of reasonable response you expected to speculative hyperbole.

Speculative hyperbole? You mean you could think of a worse owner motivation than positive press over on the field results?

Oh wait, you can't. You just result to the ludicrous "he could hire a 12 year old Swahili boy as head coach."

It's embarrassing. I realize it must have been tough when the Rexit finally hit, but frankly, pull it together.

Edited by FireChan

Whaley vetted Rex on the football side and he gave the thumbs up. He is culpable.

I think by now we pretty much can all agree that Rex is a con man who will say whatever it takes to get a job, to win over the fans, to charm the media, all the time fully intending to do it his way in spite of what he said in interviews.

I've got to believe he said all the right things to DW about how he'd run things, how his failure in NY was caused by the GM, how he loved the Bills D Whaley was assembling, how he'd run a D that built on their strengths, etc., etc., etc. because all he wanted was a big payday, and a situation where he could kick back.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn he intentionally tanked the D in order to be fired knowing he had that huge guaranteed contract. I mean, among the first words out of his mouth as the new Bills coach was how this would be his last coaching job. At the time I took that to mean he intended to be so successful he'd be in Buffalo until he was an old man. In retrospect, it now looks like he had already retired in his mind on Peg's money and was going to do whatever he could to shorten the time he was required to show up for work.

A lot of his actions now make sense if that was his intent: getting rid of Schwartz, constantly heading off to Clemson to watch his kid sit on the bench, bringing in a small army of cronies, hiring his bum brother, dumping any number of Bills draft picks, signing what seemed like every available player who's ever played for him on the Jets, dumping Henderson for Reed, going extremely public in his support of Trump in spite of having a largely black roster, a black QB, a black GM and an Asian immigrant female owner, on and on. He must have been shocked that, no matter what he did, the owners brought him back for a second season so he upped his game and it finally worked. Now he can sit back on his fat ass with enough of Terry's money to live the lazy life forever.

Nothing but a con man.

What--exactly--makes you say this?

When you get brought back for a second interview it usually means you have the job. That was the case with Rex. Whaley may have been ok with the Rex hire because it had already passed the point of no return. This video is proof that pegula wanted Rex and just wanted Whaley to OK it, which he did. That does NOT mean Rex was whaleys preferred choice if he conducted the whole process

Speculative hyperbole? You mean you could think of a worse owner motivation than positive press over on the field results?

Oh wait, you can't. You just result to the ludicrous "he could hire a 12 year old Swahili boy as head coach."

It's embarrassing. I realize it must have been tough when the Rexit finally hit, but frankly, pull it together.

Yes, I think I believe it is both speculative and hyperbolic to assume that publicity and only publicity mattered. There were plenty of things about Rex Ryan to suggest he enticed them from a competitive standpoint too. Nobody here is questioning the clarity of your hindsight.

When you get brought back for a second interview it usually means you have the job. That was the case with Rex. Whaley may have been ok with the Rex hire because it had already passed the point of no return. This video is proof that pegula wanted Rex and just wanted Whaley to OK it, which he did. That does NOT mean Rex was whaleys preferred choice if he conducted the whole process

Interesting take and completely plausible. I also happen to believe this is how it went down. But I don't know that for sure.

By all accounts--including Whaley's (in absolutely NO uncertain terms),--it was "yeah, he's our guy!".

You need to provide evidence to the contrary or just move on. You're wrong.

I think the fact that Pegula keeping Whaley employed in his position and putting this hire 100% in his hands is plenty of evidence to the contrary.

Yes, I think I believe it is both speculative and hyperbolic to assume that publicity and only publicity mattered. There were plenty of things about Rex Ryan to suggest he enticed them from a competitive standpoint too. Nobody here is questioning the clarity of your hindsight.

Interesting take and completely plausible. I also happen to believe this is how it went down. But I don't know that for sure.

Nobody said it "publicity only mattered." There's the usual strawman I missed from you.

Your point about Ryan being enticing from a competitive standpoint is true. RR fielded competitive teams vs. the Patriots; usually good battles and tight games. Given how we routinely got blown out by those same Pat teams twice a year, that was alluring to,say the least.

Old news. Two years old, in fact.

Old, but applicable.

Telling when you have an owner who "falls asleep" when your GM is asking "football questions" to a potential candidate and then chooses that applicant over the GMs choice.

They say in sales being likable is more important than actual knowledge. Rex Ryan is a shining example of this.

Whaley said in his presser yesterday that he supported the Rex hire. I think when he questioned Rex, Rex didn't say anything that he could point to as a "red flag" or a deal-breaker, so he saw which way the wind was blowing with Russ and the Pegulas and said "I'm good".

Often disagree with you, but have to agree here. Whaley questioned Rex, by inference accepted or professed himself satisfied with Rex's answers, thus he approved Rex's hire.

Moreover, he sat in front of a microphone yesterday and said that he approved the hire.

Sorry. It I have to disagree with this.

No one knows what conversation was had between DW and TP. It was reported that DW wanted Hue Jackson who wanted to keep Schwartz. Hello continuity?

But he was overridden. So what's he supposed to do, go into the media and tell everyone " See, I told TP Not to hire Ryan and he didn't listen to me. Now look where we are?" Not only would he be fired, but no owner or Team President would touch DW with a 10 foot poll.

No, you tote the company line. That's what DW is doing. It's called being professional.

I've been in upper management and the number one rule is regardless whether you agree with a decision or not, we are all united about that decision when we face our line employees or public. There are no rogue " I didn't want that" managers. They wouldn't be managing long.

Last time I checked TP still signs DWs checks. Thus he is going to tote the company line and say it was a united decision. Now, I can bet my paycheck that if Whaley separated from Buffalo then, like The Chip Kelly fiasco, "rumors" would come out saying that Whaley didn't want Rex and was overridden.

Until that happens, your not going to have DW tell what really happened. Not if he still wants to be GM of the Bills.

I think it's telling for him to come out and say "only he" is running the coaching search and not Russ Brandon. His parting shot was "Russ does a lot , and I don't even know what he does". That's a pissed off GM taking a shot at an executive that stuck his nose somewhere it didn't belong and sold Ryan to TP and now Whaley is the only one taking heat for it while Brandon hides in the shadows.

Unless he didn't approve, and the new owner wanted to show the world that things in Buffalo are different now, that we can get and pay the biggest coaching name out there, and when Whaley sat in front of a microphone, he did everything to conceal that motivation so as to not throw his boss under the bus.

All of this could just as easily be inferred.

Which gives the indication why Whaley is still employed by the Pegula's. If Rex was his guy and they fired Rex there would be no reason to keep Whaley.

Michael Silver has said Hue Jackson was in the running w/Rex but Rex won out. People are connecting dots these days connect those dots...

Nobody said it "publicity only mattered." There's the usual strawman I missed from you.

If you say so.

Sorry. It I have to disagree with this.

No one knows what conversation was had between DW and TP. It was reported that DW wanted Hue Jackson who wanted to keep Schwartz. Hello continuity?

But he was overridden. So what's he supposed to do, go into the media and tell everyone " See, I told TP Not to hire Ryan and he didn't listen to me. Now look where we are?" Not only would he be fired, but no owner or Team President would touch DW with a 10 foot poll.

No, you tote the company line. That's what DW is doing. It's called being professional.

I've been in upper management and the number one rule is regardless whether you agree with a decision or not, we are all united about that decision when we face our line employees or public. There are no rogue " I didn't want that" managers. They wouldn't be managing long.

Last time I checked TP still signs DWs checks. Thus he is going to tote the company line and say it was a united decision. Now, I can bet my paycheck that if Whaley separated from Buffalo then, like The Chip Kelly fiasco, "rumors" would come out saying that Whaley didn't want Rex and was overridden.

Until that happens, your not going to have DW tell what really happened. Not if he still wants to be GM of the Bills.

I think it's telling for him to come out and say "only he" is running the coaching search and not Russ Brandon. His parting shot was "Russ does a lot , and I don't even know what he does". That's a pissed off GM taking a shot at an executive that stuck his nose somewhere it didn't belong and sold Ryan to TP and now Whaley is the only one taking heat for it while Brandon hides in the shadows.

Good post.

It was obvious what Whaley was doing yesterday, and you nailed it. Why others can't understand this, I don't know.

Now, granted, Whaley didn't do it well, but I get the sense that he's uncomfortable with the media enough as it is that to expect him to go all Martin Skirelli on everybody's asses (which he should have done) would have been too much to ask.

All he had to say was "on matters of football, Terry and I decide things as a team."

And just say that over and over and over and over again.

So who decided to fire Rex? "We decide things as a team."

So you fired Rex? "We decide things as a team."

So Terry fired Rex? "We decide things as a team."

So who fired Rex? "Rex and Terry had a private conversation."

And it was during that conversation that he fired Rex? "I wasn't in on that conversation."

Did you tell Terry to fire Rex? "We decide things as a team."

So you told Terry to fire Rex? "We decide things as a team."

Yes or no, did you tell Terry to fire Rex? "We decide things as a team."

How does this team work? "He asks me questions, I answer them. Sometimes I ask him questions and he answers them. Then we decide things as a team."

So did he ask you questions about firing Rex? "I won't talk about the private conversations I have with our owner."

And around and around we go.

This is basically what he did, he was just sloppy. Could have been much much cleaner.

Which gives the indication why Whaley is still employed by the Pegula's. If Rex was his guy and they fired Rex there would be no reason to keep Whaley.

Michael Silver has said Hue Jackson was in the running w/Rex but Rex won out. People are connecting dots these days connect those dots...

We'll see!!

By all accounts--including Whaley's (in absolutely NO uncertain terms),--it was "yeah, he's our guy!".

You need to provide evidence to the contrary or just move on. You're wrong.

I am glad that you can be so definitive.

The guy went on about completing each other's sentences. Now, we are to believe that this was all done against his will or some other narrative. You believe what you want to believe.

I disagree.

Nevertheless, Doug owns it all now. Good luck to Darcy . . . I mean Doug.

If you say so.

Good post.

It was obvious what Whaley was doing yesterday, and you nailed it. Why others can't understand this, I don't know.

Now, granted, Whaley didn't do it well, but I get the sense that he's uncomfortable with the media enough as it is that to expect him to go all Martin Skirelli on everybody's asses (which he should have done) would have been too much to ask.

All he had to say was "on matters of football, Terry and I decide things as a team."

And just say that over and over and over and over again.

So who decided to fire Rex? "We decide things as a team."

So you fired Rex? "We decide things as a team."

So Terry fired Rex? "We decide things as a team."

So who fired Rex? "Rex and Terry had a private conversation."

And it was during that conversation that he fired Rex? "I wasn't in on that conversation."

Did you tell Terry to fire Rex? "We decide things as a team."

So you told Terry to fire Rex? "We decide things as a team."

Yes or no, did you tell Terry to fire Rex? "We decide things as a team."

How does this team work? "He asks me questions, I answer them. Sometimes I ask him questions and he answers them. Then we decide things as a team."

So did he ask you questions about firing Rex? "I won't talk about the private conversations I have with our owner."

And around and around we go.

This is basically what he did, he was just sloppy. Could have been much much cleaner.

We'll see!!

It's not what I say, it's the definition.

I think the fact that Pegula keeping Whaley employed in his position and putting this hire 100% in his hands is plenty of evidence to the contrary.

Except he's not. Pegula has final say. He can reject Whaley's choice. 110% means Whaley has final say (did I really just have to type that?).

I am glad that you can be so definitive.

The guy went on about completing each other's sentences. Now, we are to believe that this was all done against his will or some other narrative. You believe what you want to believe.

I disagree.

Nevertheless, Doug owns it all now. Good luck to Darcy . . . I mean Doug.

I chose to not believe the bolded part.

Your point about Ryan being enticing from a competitive standpoint is true. RR fielded competitive teams vs. the Patriots; usually good battles and tight games. Given how we routinely got blown out by those same Pat teams twice a year, that was alluring to,say the least.

Lets be honest. Most, if not all fans, were 100% behind the Rex hire. He took the Jets to two AFC championship games and was the only coach who actually gave Belichick and the pats a run for their money within the division. Terry and Kim Pegula are rookie owners who have no experience and probably approached the Ryan hiring much like any fan would have. They listened to the fan excitement and Russ Brandon more than they listened to their GM and that is a huge mistake as an owner (Side note: Im not saying that Whaley wasn't ok with the signing either) However, credit must be given to Terry for realizing this error and correcting it by firing Rex. He had to swallow millions of dollars and personal pride to make the right decision for the franchise. Now he is giving full authority to Whaley to find the next head coach, hopefully this is a sign that the ship is finally going to head in the right direction.

Edited by TallskiWallski83

It seems a lot of folks have never heard of the team strategy of "Disagree and Commit".

People working together can have different opinions, but it is good team dynamics that once a decision has been made, everyone involved is going to commit to it 100%. You let all sides be heard, and then make a decision. The side that doesn't get their way still goes all in for the good of the organization.

I believe that is exactly what happened with the Rex hire. Brandon had his guy (Rex), Doug had his guy, The Pegulas were the deciders that wanted Rex, Whaley got on board enough to sign off. From that point on it was a "Bills decision".

When the ONE guy in the room the Pegulas trust -- Brandon -- says "don't let Rex leave the building," does anyone really believe Whaley had the clout to say "wait a minute, guys, I like a couple of the other candidates better?"