Bills Hire Sean McDermott as New Head Coach

Doesn't he run a 3-4 D? Which doesn't necessarily fit our personnel? I like Wade. McDermott is likely a better fit.

Wade plays a hybrid, McDermott likes to play a zone. Tom Brady seems to do pretty well against zone defenses

Wade plays a hybrid, McDermott likes to play a zone. Tom Brady seems to do pretty well against zone defenses

Last time Brady played the McDermott D:

29/40; 296 yrds; 1 TD; 1 INT - Carolina won 24-20.

He does like to run zone coverages on the backend - no question about that but he does mix in some man and the thing you have to do with Brady is confuse him. I think part of Rex's issue was he had faced Brady so many times he didn't have much new to show him. I hope Sean McD has some better success and he might be the lucky Buffalo coach who benefits from the eventual Brady decline......

Rex's issue was he was lazy and didn't give as much a **** as he did earlier in his career.

When he put in the effort during the week the game plans seemed to be good.(See Jets twice, and 2nd NE game in 2015)

Of course. But I do wonder if there were times where he was trying to confuse Brady and Brady was like "I've seen this before Rex"

I know some people wanted a "football czar" and potentially Polian in that position. Sounds like McDermott might have been the coach if that had happened.

If NFL teams want help in searching for a new head coach or general manager, the league provides it.

It has a panel of former prominent coaches and club executives, known as the personnel development committee, that vets potential candidates and assembles a list distributed to teams with coach and GM openings.

Polian said the committee -- which meets four times a year in person or via conference call -- puts each candidate through a thorough vetting process. He said McDermott was overwhelmingly seen as being an excellent hire.

"When you vet a person, you ask yourself, 'What is his pedigree? Where has he worked? What is his level of experience? What is his level of success? For whom has he worked? What are the influences on his career? Is he organized? Does he have the right approach? What's his teaching philosophy?'" said Polian, who was at the Senior Bowl practices this week for ESPN and SiriusXM NFL Radio.

"And then," Polian said, "if he checks all the boxes, as Sean did, you have to say to yourself, as the person who's making the hire, do you think, based on your interaction with him in the interview, that he's ready?' Because there's no way to prove that except from references. In his case, I'm sure the references to the Pegulas were glowing, because they were to everyone that we talked to.

"And then it's only a question of saying, based on my interaction with him, 'Do I think he's ready?' Obviously, the Pegulas thought he was ready and I think they made a wise choice. And as a guy that wants the franchise to succeed, I couldn't be happier about this hire."

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/27/polian-couldnt-happier-bills-choice-mcdermott/

Pretty good article that goes into a little bit of detail about personnel development committee.

Edited by elroy16

I know some people wanted a "football czar" and potentially Polian in that position. Sounds like McDermott might have been the coach if that had happened.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/27/polian-couldnt-happier-bills-choice-mcdermott/

Pretty good article that goes into a little bit of detail about personnel development committee.

Polian recommended Dick Jauron to Marv Levy............said he would have hired him to replace Jim Mora with the Colts if Dungy wasn't available.

Polian loves milquetoast conservative coaches like Casper(Marv), Dom Capers, Dick Jauron, Jim Caldwell.

Jim Mora was probably the best coach he ever had but he ran him off because he wasn't as malleable and it probably cost those Colts teams some rings.

[This is an automated response:

Sound is vibration. But the only thing in our way is a mute mountain. Now this is just love...and verbs. Verbs are important...like earthquakes.

Thank you, and please enjoy today's law of physics {[sv_PhyLawToday]}

OCinBot v.01]

As a pro-Bills guy I hope McDoomed succeeds... As a betting man, I think he's out of here in less than three years... This poor man has to re-build a coaching structure, offense, AND a defense! He's got to re-energize a culture, and locker-room steeped in 20 years of FAILURE! -Somewhere in between he's got to locate a franchise QB! -It's a daunting task for the most experienced showrunners in the NFL, -let alone a first time HC... Hopefully he shows some strategy, and good judgement early....Like Yoda said, THERE IS NO TRY. (in the NFL)

As a pro-Bills guy I hope McDoomed succeeds... As a betting man, I think he's out of here in less than three years... This poor man has to re-build a coaching structure, offense, AND a defense! He's got to re-energize a culture, and locker-room steeped in 20 years of FAILURE! -Somewhere in between he's got to locate a franchise QB! -It's a daunting task for the most experienced showrunners in the NFL, -let alone a first time HC... Hopefully he shows some strategy, and good judgement early....Like Yoda said, THERE IS NO TRY. (in the NFL)

Karlos is the key!

How much and what are the odds?

And Karlos never even made it to Pittsburgh's active roster. Even over a stud like Fitzgerald Toussaint.

Never played 'cause he was dirty... He knew it... They knew it... Highest YPC in the league plus nine TD's don't lie.... Would've been a great Change of pace