A few thoughts about the Jets Game in no particular order

Virgil

Happy 2017 everyone. Our first football of the new year, or something like that....

1. Darby - Considering that the Jets didn't have their top 2 WR's and Darby was rarely on their number #3, I was expecting more from him. He seemed so concerned about the deep ball, that the curl route ate him up all day. I don't know what we are going to do with Gilmore, but Darby seems to be suffering from him sophomore slump and I'm nervous about him being our potential #1 next season.

2. EJ - I have to assume that the first drive was fairly scripted. Even though they didn't score, that was his best drive. After that, I honestly don't know how anyone can think he deserve a chance at the starting job here or anywhere. Just from the eye test alone, you can see his lack of command. The only routes he seemed to hit were when the WR's just stopped moving. He missed a wide open TD to Clay. He would check down to the closest WR, when there were others wide open 5-10 yards deep. He threw for less yards than Cardale in 3 quarters than he did in 1. Overall, I like EJ and I wanted him to be the man. The guy just doesn't have it.

3. McCoy - I love that this guy wanted to come back into the game. Granted, I didn't want him in the game, but I was happy he wanted in. This is a guy who we have got to keep happy and is our offensive leader. Running game wasn't there today, mainly because of the lack of respect for our passing game. McCoy is our offensive MVP of the season and I hope age doesn't catch up to him too soon.

4. Keep your head up

Try and listen to your heart
Be kind always, no matter
We all grow up
And someday well say goodbye
So shine your light while you got one

5. Defense - I don't know if I can remember the last time I've seen our defense just give up, let alone for so many weeks. It's not even a matter of out of position and missed tackles anymore. They are just walking out there, save for the Lorax. They should take the money from everyone else and give it to him. I'm honestly at the point where I would take a little cap hit to make an example out of some of these guys. I don't know who the next DC will be, but I hope they bring a big stick. It's embarrassing as a fan to watch and support them.

6. Rodak - What is it going to take to get this man removed from Bills coverage. Listen, the non-onside, onside kick for a TD was an absolute joke. Kudos to TD-Mike for taking responsibility. But Rodak didn't just tweet about it, he wrote and article immediately about it and had it as a main store on ESPN.com. How can this guy's anti-Bills sentiment be allowed to carry on? I've taken issue with the media in the past week, but he is the worst of the worst.

7. The curse of the Rex - This is probably going to sound insane, and I realize that as I type it. But I wonder if the "player-friendly" approach of Rex is ruining players careers. When I watch the Jets play on defense, I see the same lazy, uncoordinated players moving around out there. They were terrible this year and I wonder if, once you play for Rex and let your guard down because no accountability is coming your way, is it just too hard to turn that switch back on? Rex is gone, these guys should be excited to win again on both the Jets and Bills, but they just keep slugging around out there.

8. Lynn as HC - I, for one, do not believe he should be our head coach. He has no experience on the defensive side of the ball, worked with Rex who kept that entire world to himself, and barely just learned how to address the media. I understand that he can bring in a DC, but we need a HC. Someone who knows the basic checks and balances and can intervene when necessary. I like Lynn and would be okay if he were retained. But ultimately, I'd accept his leaving if that meant we are going to blow it up and bring in a guy who knows how to oversee both sides of the ball, while letting them do their jobs.

9. The guy wearing the paper bag - Not sure if everyone saw the game, but there was a guy wearing the traditional paper bag over his head with #bring back rex written on it. It just goes to show that fans are never going to agree on all things and some of us are straight up nuts. But like I said last week, we just need to remember that we all want the same thing. Maybe it's the fact that I'm apparently made from 90% scar tissue, but I just want to end the playoff drought so we can not keep being talked about as the saddest franchise in all of sports.

10. Time to win the offseason - Going into the offseason, I'm only going to be really watching for two major things. What we do at QB and what we do at HC. I honestly feel like this team has the talent it needs to make the playoffs. I think TT can get us there. If they don't bring him back, I hope they have a good plan B. I hope the HC has an overall plan and can shake things up quickly. Other than that, the draft and FA is all gravy. I know the amount of FA's we have is concerning, but we have our draft picks and I honestly have faith in Whaley.

It's been fun guys. Some of these recaps have been harder than others to write. Thank you to BillFromNYC for letting me continue this for him. As always, it's yours again whenever you want it.

Everyone else, Go Bills!

Happy 2017 everyone. Our first football of the new year, or something like that....

1. Darby - Considering that the Jets didn't have their top 2 WR's and Darby was rarely on their number #3, I was expecting more from him. He seemed so concerned about the deep ball, that the curl route ate him up all day. I don't know what we are going to do with Gilmore, but Darby seems to be suffering from him sophomore slump and I'm nervous about him being our potential #1 next season.

2. EJ - I have to assume that the first drive was fairly scripted. Even though they didn't score, that was his best drive. After that, I honestly don't know how anyone can think he deserve a chance at the starting job here or anywhere. Just from the eye test alone, you can see his lack of command. The only routes he seemed to hit were when the WR's just stopped moving. He missed a wide open TD to Clay. He would check down to the closest WR, when there were others wide open 5-10 yards deep. He threw for less yards than Cardale in 3 quarters than he did in 1. Overall, I like EJ and I wanted him to be the man. The guy just doesn't have it.

3. McCoy - I love that this guy wanted to come back into the game. Granted, I didn't want him in the game, but I was happy he wanted in. This is a guy who we have got to keep happy and is our offensive leader. Running game wasn't there today, mainly because of the lack of respect for our passing game. McCoy is our offensive MVP of the season and I hope age doesn't catch up to him too soon.

4. Keep your head up

We all grow up

5. Defense - I don't know if I can remember the last time I've seen our defense just give up, let alone for so many weeks. It's not even a matter of out of position and missed tackles anymore. They are just walking out there, save for the Lorax. They should take the money from everyone else and give it to him. I'm honestly at the point where I would take a little cap hit to make an example out of some of these guys. I don't know who the next DC will be, but I hope they bring a big stick. It's embarrassing as a fan to watch and support them.

6. Rodak - What is it going to take to get this man removed from Bills coverage. Listen, the non-onside, onside kick for a TD was an absolute joke. Kudos to TD-Mike for taking responsibility. But Rodak didn't just tweet about it, he wrote and article immediately about it and had it as a main store on ESPN.com. How can this guy's anti-Bills sentiment be allowed to carry on? I've taken issue with the media in the past week, but he is the worst of the worst.

7. The curse of the Rex - This is probably going to sound insane, and I realize that as I type it. But I wonder if the "player-friendly" approach of Rex is ruining players careers. When I watch the Jets play on defense, I see the same lazy, uncoordinated players moving around out there. They were terrible this year and I wonder if, once you play for Rex and let your guard down because no accountability is coming your way, is it just too hard to turn that switch back on? Rex is gone, these guys should be excited to win again on both the Jets and Bills, but they just keep slugging around out there.

8. Lynn as HC - I, for one, do not believe he should be our head coach. He has no experience on the defensive side of the ball, worked with Rex who kept that entire world to himself, and barely just learned how to address the media. I understand that he can bring in a DC, but we need a HC. Someone who knows the basic checks and balances and can intervene when necessary. I like Lynn and would be okay if he were retained. But ultimately, I'd accept his leaving if that meant we are going to blow it up and bring in a guy who knows how to oversee both sides of the ball, while letting them do their jobs.

9. The guy wearing the paper bag - Not sure if everyone saw the game, but there was a guy wearing the traditional paper bag over his head with #bring back rex written on it. It just goes to show that fans are never going to agree on all things and some of us are straight up nuts. But like I said last week, we just need to remember that we all want the same thing. Maybe it's the fact that I'm apparently made from 90% scar tissue, but I just want to end the playoff drought so we can not keep being talked about as the saddest franchise in all of sports.

10. Time to win the offseason - Going into the offseason, I'm only going to be really watching for two major things. What we do at QB and what we do at HC. I honestly feel like this team has the talent it needs to make the playoffs. I think TT can get us there. If they don't bring him back, I hope they have a good plan B. I hope the HC has an overall plan and can shake things up quickly. Other than that, the draft and FA is all gravy. I know the amount of FA's we have is concerning, but we have our draft picks and I honestly have faith in Whaley.

It's been fun guys. Some of these recaps have been harder than others to write. Thank you to BillFromNYC for letting me continue this for him. As always, it's yours again whenever you want it.

Everyone else, Go Bills!

i like #7 and it makes some sense that when players are not held accountable, and make the same mistakes over and over, that they have developed bad habits. These habits are of course related to lack of accountability.

Good synopsis Virgil. It's been a tough season for sure. This offseason will be very telling for the future of the franchise. Can the Pegulas attract top HC candidates? Can the GM fill holes that will arise in the roster through FA and draft?

3. McCoy was the single best reason to watch this team all year. A special talent, doing amazing things on a football field.

7. The curse of Rex (and Rob) appear real

8. if they do a real HC search, and actually have choices between experienced and accomplished candidates, I don't think they will hire Lynn for HC.... For no reason other than the Bills can't get this one wrong.

4. Keep your head up

We all grow up

Everyone else, Go Bills!

3. Special teams coach Danny Crosshairs is either not teaching or not keeping players alert.........or nobody listens to him because he has a track record of being lousy. Remember last year when certain people were shaming other posters on here for hating on Danny C because he had a rare decent unit?

4. Keep your head up

We all grow up

Everyone else, Go Bills!

Thank you for doing this every week. Enjoy the off season!

8. I agree. They need to get it right. I don't think Lynn is the guy. To me, Lynn will get it either by default because the Bills won't be able to get "their" guy or Lynn will be picked after an "exhaustive" search. I'm at a point where I don't have confidence in the FO. I just signed the Bills to a prove it contract. LOL

Virgil - thanks for your thoughtful game summaries. I don't write much here but am an avid reader and I always look for your response after the game. I also usually agree with most of your thoughts. Hopefully TP, KP & DW can figure out a way to raise the Bills above mediocrity.

i like #7 and it makes some sense that when players are not held accountable, and make the same mistakes over and over, that they have developed bad habits. These habits are of course related to lack of accountability.

I dunno, the Jets D looked pretty sharp last year. I think the amazing number of injuries and poor offensive play got them to check out by the end of he season. I don't think they're irrevocably ruined by Rex.

Remember what the Bills D looked like under Wannstache and next year under Pettine the hustle and energy markedly improved. The guys who hustle their ass no matter what are vastly to be admired and valued, but it is human nature to check out and phone it in if you feel you have no chance.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

When you started this, I'll bet you thought it would be fun picking it up from Bill. 9, 10, maybe even an 11 win season. But at some point, maybe as soon as week 2, it probably dawned on you that it was going to be a slog. Or worse. Yet you hung on in there, and for that I honor you. You did a great job when many of the rest of us might have chosen an oarless canoe in the Niagara River. Hope you bring it back next year. Hapy New YeR, Virgil.

Darby used to be so good with the curls. He got a lot of PD's coming back to the ball on those routes. Don't know what happened to him. It is indeed a concern going into next year. I hope we find a way to keep Gilmore but we'll see if we can afford him.

Thanks for the write up. Your handle was fire rex and they did. I wonder if there is any chance henderson would come bak to coach the DBs cuz i sure as hell dont want ed reed back. That team has really fell off a cliff this year and were drafting a safety so we neee good coaching to develop them.

When you started this, I'll bet you thought it would be fun picking it up from Bill. 9, 10, maybe even an 11 win season. But at some point, maybe as soon as week 2, it probably dawned on you that it was going to be a slog. Or worse. Yet you hung on in there, and for that I honor you. You did a great job when many of the rest of us might have chosen an oarless canoe in the Niagara River. Hope you bring it back next year. Hapy New YeR, Virgil.

Yeah, you pretty much nailed it. What was interesting in writing them were the weeks when it was the same old problems. That's what really made me feel like Rex had to go because there wasn't any growth happening with the team.