Bart Scott rips Dareus for comments about Rex defense

YoloinOhio

Why exactly are we supposed to trade Preston Brown? I thought the general consensus was the Brown Bros were a step up at linebacker.

And just what exactly did the "old regime" do with Tyrod that is an embarrassment?

No idea what the compensation for PB would be anyway. But the Brown Bros' play definitely fell off after the early weeks.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree. This site has been more head scratching than usual over the last few days. The Rex hire is firmly on the Pegulas along with Brandon. The proof is in the video of the post hiring press conference. Pegulas had a shiny new toy and were impressed by a big talker. Brandon, always the marketing dude saw ticket sales. Seems only Whaley was concerned with actual football. Pegula actually says football questions were putting him to sleep.

Then there is the press conference. If im Anthony Lynn I don't want anyone from the FO there. It's the HC press conference.

As far as players are concerned I'm not judging any of them based on having played for an incompetent HC.

I can't say for sure who the Rex hire was on. What I can say having been in joint hiring meetings is everybody votes then the boss gets 10 votes. So if the Pegulas were blown away by Rex's sales job, they would hire him and Whaley's decision (with new bosses who have no trust in him yet) would be "do I feel strongly enough against this that this is the Ditch I want to Die in?" He might lay out his concerns, maybe there'd be a second round of questions where Rex would say all the right things, the Pegulas would say "does this address your concerns?" and Whaley would be like "ok".

Now if he did express concerns, and they've been borne out, and the Pegulas are good bosses, he gets credit for that and more say in this new coaching search.

I agree with you on Lynn. It's the HC presser, I'm a guy who needs to establish himself, I don't want someone holding my hand and shielding me from the tough questions. The most I want (and I think it would have been nice) would be a PR guy reading Pegula's statement and introducing me to start the thing off.

I will never give anyone a pass for that reasoning. I may not like my boss, but i get paid to perform

You get paid to perform, but if your boss introduces job conditions where you don't excel, you might not perform well. Everyone has things they do well and things they do less well, even if they're 100% trying in both cases.

Gotta agree with some of what Bart said.

Good thing is the D will get to prove themselves next year. Or will we hear that a new DC with a new scheme is why they are under performing?

That's what I've wondering as well. If the Bills defense continues to be ho-hum middle of the road (or gets even worse), who does the blame train go after? Is another spin of the revolving door with coaches appropriate and justified?

That's what I've wondering as well. If the Bills defense continues to be ho-hum middle of the road (or gets even worse), who does the blame train go after? Is another spin of the revolving door with coaches appropriate and justified?

At that point Whaley would be shown the door. This isn't complicated.

At that point Whaley would be shown the door. This isn't complicated.

Whaley bought himself 2 years with this swing of the door and if probable new QB is a rookie 3 years. This is looking like Whaley making Rex and Tyrod the fall guys and sold management they werent his choices.

I can't say for sure who the Rex hire was on. What I can say having been in joint hiring meetings is everybody votes then the boss gets 10 votes. So if the Pegulas were blown away by Rex's sales job, they would hire him and Whaley's decision (with new bosses who have no trust in him yet) would be "do I feel strongly enough against this that this is the Ditch I want to Die in?" He might lay out his concerns, maybe there'd be a second round of questions where Rex would say all the right things, the Pegulas would say "does this address your concerns?" and Whaley would be like "ok".

Now if he did express concerns, and they've been borne out, and the Pegulas are good bosses, he gets credit for that and more say in this new coaching search.

I agree with you on Lynn. It's the HC presser, I'm a guy who needs to establish himself, I don't want someone holding my hand and shielding me from the tough questions. The most I want (and I think it would have been nice) would be a PR guy reading Pegula's statement and introducing me to start the thing off.

You get paid to perform, but if your boss introduces job conditions where you don't excel, you might not perform well. Everyone has things they do well and things they do less well, even if they're 100% trying in both cases.

I agree with what could have transpired with Whaley and the Rex hire. It is why he is now in charge of new hire.

Maybe if Dareus had 12 years experience in Rex's defense instead of two he'd feel like Scott does. Kind of hard to compare someone who could probably coach the scheme to someone just getting into it.

That being said, other than Kyle Williams, I don't see too many Bills on D that have the desire to work and succeed like Bart Scott had. I think it really comes down to that. You haven't heard Kyle whining.

Scott disagrees with this. In fact he is saying the opposite of what you just said.

He's saying it's not that difficult. He would disagree that it takes 12 years or 5 years or whatever, to learn.

When I compare film of past Ryan Jet defenses to the Ryan defenses of the last two seasons, I don't see anywhere NEAR the level of complexity he used to employ. I can understand 2015 when he tried to appease everybody and ran a bastardized version of his defense, but I gotta think he realized after several games and the loss of starting and backup safeties, that he had a bunch of dumb asses in the fold.

Scott disagrees with this. In fact he is saying the opposite of what you just said.

He's saying it's not that difficult. He would disagree that it takes 12 years or 5 years or whatever, to learn.

I didn't say it was complicated. I said it's not fair to compare the views of someone who has 12 years experience in a system with someone who has 2.

Rex's defense requires a David Harris or Ray Lewis type of football intelligent player making the calls.

Bart Scott benefitted from playing alongside both men. Harris and Lewis were always on the field, rarely injured.

Absent Aaron Williams, the Bills did not have this person.

Add in there Ed Reed, Jim Leonard, and Darrell Revis, as Rex's D relies heavily on the DB to maintain coverage long enough for the front to get to the QB and to read and react to the run appropriately.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I don't get why you are defending Scott? All you had to do is watch the games to know that the defense was confused, particularly after AW was gone. By definition that makes it too complicated not too mention archaic. Ryan was incapable of making adjustments because he and his brother both still believe they are defensive geniuses. They are delusional as was their father.

Of course it is. In fact he's far better than any of us to judge the complexity of the D.

In your job, would someone with 12 years experience think the job was easier or less complicated than someone with two years experience?

Again, I'm not commenting on the complexity of the defense, I'm commenting on how two people with drastically different levels of experience will view the same job.

I don't get why you are defending Scott? All you had to do is watch the games to know that the defense was confused, particularly after AW was gone. By definition that makes it too complicated not too mention archaic. Ryan was incapable of making adjustments because he and his brother both still believe they are defensive geniuses. They are delusional as was their father.

I think there's some truth to the film-watchers who point out the NYJ D was more complex, and evidently Ryan did try to make adjustments and simplify. The problem is either his adjustments weren't sufficient, or his simplification destroyed its effectiveness.

Either way, it didn't work very well.

A point being that in Ryans last couple years in NY, the D wasn't very good. I think it may just require a certain blend of players to work effectively.

I'm not "defending" (most abused word at TSW of all time) Scott. He's saying it's not a D that should depend on one guy i existence to decipher it on the field. Scott would know.

In your job, would someone with 12 years experience think the job was easier or less complicated than someone with two years experience?

Again, I'm not commenting on the complexity of the defense, I'm commenting on how two people with drastically different levels of experience will view the same job.

I guess I don't know how else to say this. He is clearly saying it doesn't need 12 years to figure out what to do in that D. You are clearly saying Scott is lying---that it actually took him many years to figure it.

I don't believe you.

I think there's some truth to the film-watchers who point out the NYJ D was more complex, and evidently Ryan did try to make adjustments and simplify. The problem is either his adjustments weren't sufficient, or his simplification destroyed its effectiveness.

Either way, it didn't work very well.

A point being that in Ryans last couple years in NY, the D wasn't very good. I think it may just require a certain blend of players to work effectively.

He started dumbing it down in NY, too. Which makes sense given the roster turnover that occurred there. I have always been skeptical of terms like "dumb it down" because honestly, what are you really saying?

This is WAY out of context. The Philly D is 5th overall in DVOA and Buffalo is 24th. Why? Philly has played the hardest offensive schedule in the entire NFL and Buffalo has played the 27th hardest schedule.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

#5 DVOA vs. #24 DVOA

Let's try this: Bills and Eagles Common Opponents.

Ravens

Bills gave up 308 yards and 4.7 yards per play

Eagles gave up 340 yards and 6.0 yards per play

Advantage Bills Defense

Browns

Bills gave up 269 yards and 5.0 yards per play

Eagles gave up 288 yards and 5.8 yards per play

Advantage Bills Defense

Steelers

Bills gave up 460 yards and 6.3 yards per play

Eagles gave up 251 yards and 4.3 yards per play

Advantage Eagles Defense

Seahawks

Bills gave up 278 yards and 6.6 yards per play

Eagles gave up 439 yards and 7.0 yards per play

Advantage Bills Defense

Bengals

Bills gave up 300 yards and 4.2 yards per play

Eagles gave up 412 yards and 6.4 yards per play

Advantage Bills Defense

I meant to respond to these posts earlier, but this is my last full day in Buffalo before we fly back to Miami and we went for a hike and took some photographs.

Go Bills.

Edited by Peter