the Jim Leonhard of Rex's Bills defenses

dave mcbride

Landry should have taken 10x the punishment from both the league and the Bills, in both of the games. If Rex's defense is so complicated that it can only be mastered by a few cerebral veteran players over a couple years, it's a bad defense, in case that guy gets hurt. Hard to say if Williams knowledge of the defense and calling out signals/coverages was the biggest element of his not being there, or whether he was simply so much better a player as his backups. It's probably a combination. I don't think we see that big of a drop off if he is just a better player all around. All teams suffer injuries to their leaders at some point.

Landry should have taken 10x the punishment from both the league and the Bills, in both of the games. If Rex's defense is so complicated that it can only be mastered by a few cerebral veteran players over a couple years, it's a bad defense, in case that guy gets hurt. Hard to say if Williams knowledge of the defense and calling out signals/coverages was the biggest element of his not being there, or whether he was simply so much better a player as his backups. It's probably a combination. I don't think we see that big of a drop off if he is just a better player all around. All teams suffer injuries to their leaders at some point.

Agree 100 percent. Fwiw, Dareus addressed this issue in a very cogent way, I thought.

It's really too bad about the injuries. Jarvis Landry deserved more punishment than he received this past Saturday.

https://twitter.com/john_wawrow/status/813483890337869826

When Carpenter was over on the visitor's sideline engaged in that kerfuffle, I thought he was there to rip off Landry's helmet and throat punch him.

I figured he was having a redneck Joe Dirt moment. Disappointed.

Losing AW killed the defense. Why losing one specific player had such an impact on Rex's defense is beyond me.

Here's the thing about AW entering the 2016 season. Based on the bizarre injury last year, there was a possibility that he: 1. Wouldn't be the same 2. Would get injured again. The lack of foresight into having a top-notch Safety to back him up is atrocious. So, on that item, who's to blame? Is that a Rex decision? Is that a Whaley decision? Was it a priority, but there simply weren't any quality/affordable Safeties out there?

But, one thing is sure: AW's absence was a major impact on this defense.

I don't know if it is just his knowledge of the D, he is a physically gifted athlete and gave them a great deal of flexibility on that side of the ball. And after he went down it was a revolving door at that position due to poor talent and/or injury. I agree Landry got off way to easily. You injure a player intentionally with an illegal hit and get fined $9,000, you have an excessive celebration in the end zone and get fined $25,000. Really?????

I've always felt if you injure a player and he misses games you miss right along with him. When he is able to come back so can you. If his career is over I guess you had better find a new one as well. Adapt that policy and I guarantee you will see a dramatic decrease in the number and severity of injuries.

Edited by Original Byrd Man

Here's the thing about AW entering the 2016 season. Based on the bizarre injury last year, there was a possibility that he: 1. Wouldn't be the same 2. Would get injured again. The lack of foresight into having a top-notch Safety to back him up is atrocious. So, on that item, who's to blame? Is that a Rex decision? Is that a Whaley decision? Was it a priority, but there simply weren't any quality/affordable Safeties out there?

But, one thing is sure: AW's absence was a major impact on this defense.

Weddle was available.

AW was a huge loss. Someone posted Bills record with and without him right after the Miami game.

Also have to wonder about the drafts and speculation if Whaley or rex ran the picks. Do you think that Rex wouldn't pick a safety in either of the drafts, or went for help other than Blanton or Colt Anderson?

Still can't have your entire defense rely on a player who's one hit away from a wheelchair.

AW was a huge loss. Someone posted Bills record with and without him right after the Miami game.

Also have to wonder about the drafts and speculation if Whaley or rex ran the picks. Do you think that Rex wouldn't pick a safety in either of the drafts, or went for help other than Blanton or Colt Anderson?

Still can't have your entire defense rely on a player who's one hit away from a wheelchair.

They're all one hit from a wheelchair. And AW presideded over the loss to the Jets and Ravens...

He's a good player... but the missing link to the defense??

Aaron Williams is arguably the most overrated player in Bills history.

He's been a shell of the very good 2013 player for THREE YEARS NOW.

When he busted his neck in early 2014 the playmaking CEASED.

The Bills D fared better early this season PRIMARILY because they were playing the weaker offenses on their schedule.

Did people here not see Fitz have his career passing day against this "AW lead" defense in the home opener? :doh:

The Aaron Williams excuses thankfully are over now that he is headed for retirement.

The Bills D fared better early this season PRIMARILY because they were playing the weaker offenses on their schedule.

Did people here not see Fitz have his career passing day against this "AW lead" defense in the home opener? :doh:

The Aaron Williams excuses thankfully are over now that he is headed for retirement.

Did AW not get injured last year against the Pats in week 2?

When Carpenter was over on the visitor's sideline engaged in that kerfuffle, I thought he was there to rip off Landry's helmet and throat punch him.

I figured he was having a redneck Joe Dirt moment. Disappointed.

Only time IK would've been good for something on this team.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP made a comparison between Jim Leonhard and AW, and their roles in the Rex Ryan defense. Weren't you also the guy who highlighted the importance of safety play in a Rex Ryan defense? Didn't several players specifically point to AW's absence as a bad turning point for the defense? Bad safety play caused at least two losses.

Nobody is saying that AW was a great player in Bills history. But it's equally ridiculous to sloth off his role in this defense.

Edited by GG

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP made a comparison between Jim Leonhard and AW, and their roles in the Rex Ryan defense. Weren't you also the guy who highlighted the importance of safety play in a Rex Ryan defense? Didn't several players specifically point to AW's absence as a bad turning point for the defense? Bad safety play caused at least two losses.

Nobody is saying that AW was a great player in Bills history. But it's equally ridiculous to sloth off his role in this defense.

Plus he was calling the signals back there about coverages. That was Leonhard's true worth more than his actual play. That broke down after AW went out and Dareus specifically referenced it.

He understood the defense. No one else did, apparently.

I don't know if it is just his knowledge of the D, he is a physically gifted athlete and gave them a great deal of flexibility on that side of the ball. And after he went down it was a revolving door at that position due to poor talent and/or injury. I agree Landry got off way to easily. You injure a player intentionally with an illegal hit and get fined $9,000, you have an excessive celebration in the end zone and get fined $25,000. Really?????

I've always felt if you injure a player and he misses games you miss right along with him. When he is able to come back so can you. If his career is over I guess you had better find a new one as well. Adapt that policy and I guarantee you will see a dramatic decrease in the number and severity of injuries.

I agree. There will need to be appeal process but it is the right thing to do.

Not sure what policy should be if you injure a coach with a belly butt.