I Was Right: (Or FC for Czar: The Topic)

FireChan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks in advance for all the welcome backs. I'd like to take a moment, in the buildup to this meaningless week 17 matchup between EJ Manuel and Ryan Fitzpatrick, fresh off the glorious firing of a terrible coach, to talk about some things.

#1: Taylor's struggles and regression. http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/184548-fergys-op-ed-on-mobile-qbs-and-their-career-trajectories/

Taylor was a QB who was forced by teams to beat them without relying as much on his physical gifts this season, and he couldn't respond. He did worse to much-worse across the board stat-wise, as predicted. In this league, if you aren't getting better, you're getting worse and Taylor couldn't escape that fate.

Stats: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TaylTy00.htm

#2: The Rexit as a leader of men. http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/187393-tod-726-rex-love-or-hate-him/page-4

Of course, it was very easy to see another defensive mutiny was just waiting to boil over in 2016. Anyone who was shocked that the defense allowed 3 200+ yard rushers this season did not truly have their finger on the pulse of the locker room. Dareus couldn't wait to badmouth Rex on his way out this year. This entire team quit in 2015 on Rex in the Redskins game, and while the ring leader in Mario was cut out, the remaining sycophants never forgot their glorious leader and folded in the face of adversity time and time again. But you can't fire the entire defense so the only solution was to fire a man who lost a lockerroom the fastest I've ever seen. The Pegulas took too long.

#3: Defense by the numbers.

Lots of folks say that the 2014 defense was an anomaly and Rex inherited a defense that reverted to the norm. Couldn't be further from accurate.

The 2013 defense for all its warts, was 10th in total yards allowed, 7th in drive time allowed, 5th in plays per drive, 2nd in yards per drive and 12th in points per drive. All with EEEEeeeeeeeJJJJJJJ, Thad, and Tuel at the helm of the O.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2013.htm

The 2014 defense was 4th in points, 4th in yards, 5th in drive time, 3rd in plays, 3rd in yards, 1st in points per drive.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2014.htm

That looks like an upward trend to me, even battling injuries, suspensions, mostly mediocre QB's and offenses and scheme change. And then here comes the REXIT.

The 2015 defense. 15th in points,19th in yards, 3rd in time, 5th in plays, 12th in yards per drive, 14th in points per drive. Not the worst defense we've ever seen, but certainly worse than 2013, especially with the improved O. Bad. This should have gotten Rex canned immediately in order to prevent a waste of resources rebuilding a Rex scheme instead of replenishing a 4-3. Instead, we were subjected to...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2015.htm

The 2016 defense. 15th in points, 19th in yards. Seems close to 2015, no? But break it down and it gets gross. 26th in time per drive. 20th in plays per drive. 19thin in yards per drive. 22nd in points per drive. :sick:

All this because the ownership was afraid to can a clear problem. Which leads me to...

#4: The Pegulas are bad owners.

These guys have made poor decision after poor decision and it has really cost us greatly. Starting out with forcing out Marrone, a coach that had a power struggle with Whaley, and then setting up the exact same power struggle to happen again. No czar, no unilateral direction. Hiring Rex, a buffoon, either forcing Whaley to go along with a choice he wouldn't have made or getting conned by Whaley who threw his own bad decision under the bus to save his own skin. The Rex hire guaranteeing our great defense would change schemes. Is there any doubt, today of all days, we'd all be better off with another year or 2 of Marrone+Schwartz? The Pegulas walked in playing hardball and pissed away $30M and look like laughing stocks. There's still time to turn it around, but they need to rip out the rot.

#5 Whaley is not good, is impossible to work with, and is a major issue on this team. http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/184192-the-doug-whaley-positives-are-taking-huge-hits/

Here we go with this guy again. On the team for 7 years but don't hold EJ against him, it was Nix's fault! Even though 3 days after EJ was drafted, Nix was still operating as the figurehead GM and traded for Hughes. The Buffalo Bills PR machine has a vested interest in blaming everything that went wrong under Whaley to Nix.

But damn, this guy is bad. Not only has he clearly incorporated his tendrils into the Pegulas and made himself unfireable, a la Russ Brandon, but he stinks. All we have to show with Doug Whaley is a worthless TT extension that pissed away cash, a hobbled Sammy Watkins, and yet another game we have to suffer through watching his boy play QB. Not only has this guy doubled and tripled down on EJ at every opportunity, paving the way as best he could for him to play. (We all know Cassell would've been the #2 in 2015 if he didn't get traded away), but his other "hits" are barely that. The only good in 2016 player Whaley has drafted in 4 years is John freaking Miller, and he was a 3rd round OG! Woods is a disappointment, Kiko set the bar high and flamed out (McCoy trade notwithstanding, a drunk Chip Kelly doesn't count as a Whaley "great move," just like taking Luck #1 overall, it was a no-brainer), Seantrel is done in the league, Kujo is a 2nd rounder backup who is next to worthless, Karlos is gone, Cockrell is cut, Darby came back to earth, JWill is a nobody, Ragland hasn't played, Shaq looks pedestrian, Preston Brown is mediocre etc etc.

There's a laundry list of draft disappointments on this guy's head, and now he's the Pegula's right hand man? :wallbash: Honestly, someone tell me why I should have any faith Whaley will find us a franchise QB? He seems paralyzed by fear of EJ-type failure again. He hasn't taken 1 high in 3 drafts, and we have had nobody at the position. Why? Anybody? Bueller?

Not to mention his clashes with 2 HC's who he clearly poisoned the owners against and blamed for all his misfortune. The source of the leaks against Marrone and Rex are not that hard to trace.

Anyway, that's it If anyone wants to start an "FC for Czar" GoFundMe, have your people call my people.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I guess that's where we differ. Marrone is no better than any of the other stooges that we've had as HC over the last 15 years.

I suppose. I look at Marrone who took a bad offense and great defense to 9-7. Yes offense was his specialty, but they didn't have nearly the talent level of the D. Meanwhile, they got Rex who neutered a very talented defense, unlike Marrone who played ball control and field position with a not so talented O.

So basiclally, Rex took a high potential D and crushed it. Marrone took a low potential O and kept it there. Makes him way better, IMO. And that's on the Pegulas.

I suppose. I look at Marrone who took a bad offense and great defense to 9-7. Yes offense was his specialty, but they didn't have nearly the talent level of the D. Meanwhile, they got Rex who neutered a very talented defense, unlike Marrone who played ball control and field position with a not so talented O.

So basiclally, Rex took a high potential D and crushed it. Marrone took a low potential O and kept it there. Makes him way better, IMO. And that's on the Pegulas.

The Pegula's realized their mistake and cut it out before many believed they should have. I can respect that. To me, that shows their not hesitant to own it - which is a positive quality.

The Pegula's realized their mistake and cut it out before many believed they should have. I can respect that. To me, that shows their not hesitant to own it - which is a positive quality.

Depends on your perspective. Personally, I think they were a year too late. They wasted a draft and FA period on a lame duck coach I could see from a mile away, as well as another offseason to put the Rex scheme in place.

The bandaid needed to be ripped off immediately and the switch to a 4-3 made swiftly after 2015. Rex was done, it was clear from the Redskins game last season he inspired no one on that defense and we saw it time and time again this year.

Depends on your perspective. Personally, I think they were a year too late. They wasted a draft and FA period on a lame duck coach I could see from a mile away, as well as another offseason to put the Rex scheme in place.

The bandaid needed to be ripped off immediately and the switch to a 4-3 made swiftly after 2015. Rex was done, it was clear from the Redskins game last season he inspired no one on that defense and we saw it time and time again this year.

In hindsight yes but I think it was fair to give Rex at least another season to get the defense to rebound. It's a really bad look to fire a HC after only one year that isn't 0-16 or 1-15.

In hindsight yes but I think it was fair to give Rex at least another season to get the defense to rebound. It's a really bad look to fire a HC after only one year that isn't 0-16 or 1-15.

Not in hindsight, because I wanted him fired last year. Hence the "I was right," topic.

Edited by FireChan

I never liked the Rex hire but got sucked in with his sleazy sales talk. I was on board with Jackson or someone on the offensive side of the ball who would keep Schwartz. I couldn't stand Marrones game day decisions. He punted far, far too much on the other teams side of the field. I think he punted from the opponents 37 one time.

And then Rex brought in Roman, who I thought was a good OC, and I thought the Bills had a shot. Then his defense just ended up being crap and only got worse.

I do feel like the Pegulas wasted 2 years but then I think they probably thought when they bought the team they weren't going to be doing a coaching search immidiately. They made the mistake of choosing the guy with who they thought had the most experience instead of going with an inexperienced coach. I read another article that said they really liked Kyle Shanahan the first time around.

I never liked the Rex hire but got sucked in with his sleazy sales talk. I was on board with Jackson or someone on the offensive side of the ball who would keep Schwartz. I couldn't stand Marrones game day decisions. He punted far, far too much on the other teams side of the field. I think he punted from the opponents 37 one time.

And then Rex brought in Roman, who I thought was a good OC, and I thought the Bills had a shot. Then his defense just ended up being crap and only got worse.

I do feel like the Pegulas wasted 2 years but then I think they probably thought when they bought the team they weren't going to be doing a coaching search immidiately. They made the mistake of choosing the guy with who they thought had the most experience instead of going with an inexperienced coach. I read another article that said they really liked Kyle Shanahan the first time around.

Probably shouldn't call a guy's bluff who is prepared to walk, then. That's no excuse.